Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a drone? I've been thinking about getting one for a couple of years but have not said anything. Then tonight my partner say, out of the blue, "What would you think of us getting a drone?" So I'm pretty sure that means we are getting a drone.

Honestly, it would be 90% just to have fun with. But I could see using it to survey my 5 acre property after a storm, scare off wild pigs, and so forth. I am aware that there are many places that don't allow them including national parks and beaches. That covers much of the area where I live.

In looking on Amazon it looks like you can pay anywhere from $50 or less to well over $500. I would want something of decent quality and probably at least 1080p camera. I don't see myself traveling much with it but would not rule that out either.

The brands mean nothing to me because I have never heard of any of them.

I would appreciate any suggestions either about specific models or brands or general considerations.

I have the DJI Mavic Mini, It's a great beginner drone. DJI has since released Mini 2 and Mini 3. You may want to do some research on this. I'd probably go with the mini 2 with the fly more kit (extra batteries)

https://youtu.be/358qaoyUcH0

My Mac is about 8 years old. Obviously, it is obsolete but still does most things I want to do. I'm just wondering about a 4 year warranty - especially if it doubles the price (IOW 18 months after you buy, you are obsolete, so paying double seems excessive. 2 years later you could just buy another computer instead of spending on the warrantee.) Just wondering about your motivation. Is it the fact that they come to you? That sounds kinda nice but you still have an "old" computer in a couple of years.

That's how I look at it for certain products. Rather than a warranty for a $1000 item I'll just buy a $400 one and hope to get greater than 40% life from it over the $1000 item. That, of course only applies to products where there is very little difference in performance.

My laptop that is mostly used for internet and emails falls into that category. I bought one for $300 during Black Friday sale 4 years ago and it still works fine. When it dies I'll just find another one on sale.

I have the DJI Mavic Mini, It's a great beginner drone. DJI has since released Mini 2 and Mini 3. You may want to do some research on this. I'd probably go with the mini 2 with the fly more kit (extra batteries)

https://youtu.be/358qaoyUcH0

Exactly what I was going to recommend. I forget what the weight limit is, but make sure you stay under the weight limit so you don’t have to register it - at least until you decide you’re serious about having a drone. I’m pretty sure the Mavic Mini is just under the limit.

Can anyone recommend a drone? I've been thinking about getting one for a couple of years but have not said anything. Then tonight my partner say, out of the blue, "What would you think of us getting a drone?" So I'm pretty sure that means we are getting a drone.

Honestly, it would be 90% just to have fun with. But I could see using it to survey my 5 acre property after a storm, scare off wild pigs, and so forth. I am aware that there are many places that don't allow them including national parks and beaches. That covers much of the area where I live.

In looking on Amazon it looks like you can pay anywhere from $50 or less to well over $500. I would want something of decent quality and probably at least 1080p camera. I don't see myself traveling much with it but would not rule that out either.

The brands mean nothing to me because I have never heard of any of them.

I would appreciate any suggestions either about specific models or brands or general considerations.

Depends on your expectations and what you want to do.

The bigger, more expensive ones will do over 4K video. You have to be willing to edit video and photos to get the best results.

The ones around $500-1000 can still do 4K video but on smaller sensor cameras.

A lot of buying decisions is based on drone regulations, for instance, small drones of 250 grams or less may have more leeway in some countries.

However, any drone with a camera face similar restrictions.

Exactly what I was going to recommend. I forget what the weight limit is, but make sure you stay under the weight limit so you don’t have to register it - at least until you decide you’re serious about having a drone. I’m pretty sure the Mavic Mini is just under the limit.

Yep its just under the registration weight limit. It gets battered around in higher winds, but it is very easy to use.

Yep its just under the registration weight limit. It gets battered around in higher winds, but it is very easy to use.

Our trades run 15 to 25 mph, so I'm guessing it would take a rather rugged one for most uses here. Don't actually see very many in operation. Once in a while, on a calm day, I'll see one over the marina. YMMV

That's how I look at it for certain products. Rather than a warranty for a $1000 item I'll just buy a $400 one and hope to get greater than 40% life from it over the $1000 item. That, of course only applies to products where there is very little difference in performance.

My laptop that is mostly used for internet and emails falls into that category. I bought one for $300 during Black Friday sale 4 years ago and it still works fine. When it dies I'll just find another one on sale.

Responding to both Music Lover and Koolau. You both make valid points about obsolescence, warranties, and low cost replacement. I don't consider my XPS obsolete at this point. For a power user or gamer it might be but that is not me. I do use it for some computational work, but not a lot. It might be slower than I could get new but I still get paid by the hour <grin>. I typically keep a laptop about 5 years. This one is soon 5 years old but showing no signs of dying or becoming obsolete anytime soon. I will retire mid 2024 and will probably buy a new one then but we'll see.

I certainly agree that a 5+ year old laptop is not worth warrantying. But I have had such good experience with Dell service that it is worth it to me to get the coverage on a new one, at least for a few years. In 15-ish years I have had XPS's covered by warranty I have had about 6 repair visits, 3 at my house, 1 at my workplace, and 2 while traveling. In both of the travel cases Dell was amazing at finding a nearby place to do the work conveniently to me, once in Boston's back bay and another time in rural Sweden. Both times they exceeded their "next day" promise and had someone do a same day repair.

As much as I depend on my laptop for so much, it is worth it to me to pay about $125/year for this service. Others might completely disagree and I respect that. My opinion may very well change once I retire and don't need the reliability as much. But probably not because of the cost.

Is there really any reason to stay under the registration limits? I am new at this but looked into registration last night and it does not seem too onerous. I'm not the type to care if the government knows I have a drone. Am I missing something?

Our trades run 15 to 25 mph, so I'm guessing it would take a rather rugged one for most uses here. Don't actually see very many in operation. Once in a while, on a calm day, I'll see one over the marina. YMMV

I am on the Kona side (leeward) of the Big Island and a few hundred feet up the western slope of Mauna Loa. We very rarely have any noticable wind. The trades tend to be funneled through the saddle in the Waikoloa area

Last edited:
Depends on your expectations and what you want to do.

The bigger, more expensive ones will do over 4K video. You have to be willing to edit video and photos to get the best results.

The ones around $500-1000 can still do 4K video but on smaller sensor cameras.

A lot of buying decisions is based on drone regulations, for instance, small drones of 250 grams or less may have more leeway in some countries.

However, any drone with a camera face similar restrictions.

I definitely want a camera. I don't think I want to spend more than $1000 and probably would want to keep is under about $500. I don't mind editing video.

Responding to both Music Lover and Koolau. You both make valid points about obsolescence, warranties, and low cost replacement. I don't consider my XPS obsolete at this point. For a power user or gamer it might be but that is not me. I do use it for some computational work, but not a lot. It might be slower than I could get new but I still get paid by the hour <grin>. I typically keep a laptop about 5 years. This one is soon 5 years old but showing no signs of dying or becoming obsolete anytime soon. I will retire mid 2024 and will probably buy a new one then but we'll see.

I certainly agree that a 5+ year old laptop is not worth warrantying. But I have had such good experience with Dell service that it is worth it to me to get the coverage on a new one, at least for a few years. In 15-ish years I have had XPS's covered by warranty I have had about 6 repair visits, 3 at my house, 1 at my workplace, and 2 while traveling. In both of the travel cases Dell was amazing at finding a nearby place to do the work conveniently to me, once in Boston's back bay and another time in rural Sweden. Both times they exceeded their "next day" promise and had someone do a same day repair.

As much as I depend on my laptop for so much, it is worth it to me to pay about $125/year for this service. Others might completely disagree and I respect that. My opinion may very well change once I retire and don't need the reliability as much. But probably not because of the cost.

I believe in doing what you think is best for yourself - especially with your own money!:)

I am on the Kona side (leeward) of the Big Island and a few hundred feet up the western slope of Mauna Loa. We very rarely have any noticable wind. The trades tend to be funneled through the saddle in the Waikoloa area

Do you need AC? We've been blessed with trades that blow through one side and out the other. When they blow, it can be 88 outside and we're comfortable. When the trades die, it's sticky and hot. Fortunately, the trades blow about 98% of the time. We had good friends who were oriented 90 degrees to the trades. They had to spend $300/month for AC.

Do you need AC? We've been blessed with trades that blow through one side and out the other. When they blow, it can be 88 outside and we're comfortable. When the trades die, it's sticky and hot. Fortunately, the trades blow about 98% of the time. We had good friends who were oriented 90 degrees to the trades. They had to spend $300/month for AC.
At 1300 feet, no AC needed. Ceiling fans and open windows do the trick. If I were inclined to add any climate control it would be heat. It can get nippy (high 50s) some mornings. But that's what sweatpants and socks are for.

I've researched flying drones in Hawaii for possible visit, particularly Kauai.

All kinds of restrictions or bans, around national and state parks.

If you look around Google Maps, plenty of drone shots taken all over the islands.

Some drone owners grouse that there are all kinds of restrictions on drones but the helicopter and plane tours are allowed to fly over just about everywhere, probably because the state and counties get taxes and maybe concession fees from those tours.

At 1300 feet, no AC needed. Ceiling fans and open windows do the trick. If I were inclined to add any climate control it would be heat. It can get nippy (high 50s) some mornings. But that's what sweatpants and socks are for.

Ah, yes. We stayed several days with friends on Big Island. They live at about 4000ft IIRC (just outside the Volcanoes National Park.) I couldn't believe how cold it could get there. We used electric blankets at night (heh, heh, got the controllers reversed the first night!) They did have one fire place plus electric heaters in the bath rooms. Definitely no need for AC there. Not my cup of tea but very pleasant in the day time.

I bought another 400 lbs of cat litter to donate to a local no-kill shelter. This would be about the 4th time I donated. I can't think of a better way to BTD. I leave it up to the shelter to buy food. They always have a number of cats that are recovering from abuse and injury that may have need for a specific kind of food. During "kitten season" I sometimes donate some kitten milk replacement formula if they are too young for solid food.
After all the destruction from the recent hurricane there is a big need for help to rescue and feed pets that have been displaced from their home.
My needs are covered so what else do I need to spend money on?

Cheers!

I'm feeling like Badger this morning.

Yesterday I got the results of my Monte Carlo simulation from the brokerage. The old one was probably 4 years old but I didn't bother changing it since the balances kept going up! I asked to redo it after it stopped bringing in my Fidelity accounts which were 25% of my assets, due to a "refresh" error.

Wow. If you add in $350K equity in the house, I'm just over the $4 million mark. To quote Talking Heads, "And you may ask yourself...how did I get here?"

My day-to-day needs and wants are pretty modest. I do two major trips per year and that's enough for me. I fly Business Class on long-hauls but that's an easier decision when you're not spending that for two passengers. Thankful to have no needy relatives but I do throw some $$ at DS and DDIL every year (they don't ask for it or need it) and put money in the 529s for my 3 grandchildren. Maybe I'll step up the latter next year- I'm already giving about 25% of my AGI to charity and could cut that back.

The charity part is fun- I do a few major gifts but also donations of $200 to a lot of other causes.

I can't throw that net worth number around to too many people. Good to have some who understand.

Last edited:
Just returned from 20-day European vacation. Started with 3 nights in Barcellona, then a two-week Seabourn cruise through France, Spain, and Portugal. Two extra nights in Lisbon and one in London before our return. Two-year delayed trip due to Covid. Between Seabourn and biz class airline tickets it was this year's btd! :D

Just returned from 20-day European vacation. Started with 3 nights in Barcellona, then a two-week Seabourn cruise through France, Spain, and Portugal. Two extra nights in Lisbon and one in London before our return. Two-year delayed trip due to Covid. Between Seabourn and biz class airline tickets it was this year's btd! :D

That would qualify for BTD. I bet it was worth every penny!

If you add in $350K equity in the house, I'm just over the $4 million mark. To quote Talking Heads, "And you may ask yourself...how did I get here?"
[...]
I can't throw that net worth number around to too many people. Good to have some who understand.

Congrats on that NW number! I know exactly how you feel, and it is indeed great to have a community here at e-r.org we can share such news with.

I'm feeling like Badger this morning.

Yesterday I got the results of my Monte Carlo simulation from the brokerage. The old one was probably 4 years old but I didn't bother changing it since the balances kept going up! I asked to redo it after it stopped bringing in my Fidelity accounts which were 25% of my assets, due to a "refresh" error.

Wow. If you add in $350K equity in the house, I'm just over the $4 million mark. To quote Talking Heads, "And you may ask yourself...how did I get here?"

My day-to-day needs and wants are pretty modest. I do two major trips per year and that's enough for me. I fly Business Class on long-hauls but that's an easier decision when you're not spending that for two passengers. Thankful to have no needy relatives but I do throw some $$ at DS and DDIL every year (they don't ask for it or need it) and put money in the 529s for my 3 grandchildren. Maybe I'll step up the latter next year- I'm already giving about 25% of my AGI to charity and could cut that back.

The charity part is fun- I do a few major gifts but also donations of $200 to a lot of other causes.

I know what you mean about not throwing around your NW numbers. My BFF (who is half a mil in debt at 78) knows that my condo is worth over half a mil. He mentioned this past summer that if HE had such an asset, he would borrow as much of the equity as possible and build a better drag car! I made up my mind to never share any other financial info with him.

Pretty impressive considering we are in a bear market! I hope you continue to enjoy blowing that dough!

Pretty impressive considering we are in a bear market! I hope you continue to enjoy blowing that dough!

Thanks- I'm doing my best! Just sent DDIL a note suggesting dates in late April to take my 2 granddaughters to Chicago again- an hour flight from where they live in Des Moines. I just did that in early October- first time for the 5-year old, 3rd for the 8-year old- and we had a blast.

I bought another 400 lbs of cat litter to donate to a local no-kill shelter. This would be about the 4th time I donated. I can't think of a better way to BTD. I leave it up to the shelter to buy food. They always have a number of cats that are recovering from abuse and injury that may have need for a specific kind of food. During "kitten season" I sometimes donate some kitten milk replacement formula if they are too young for solid food.
After all the destruction from the recent hurricane there is a big need for help to rescue and feed pets that have been displaced from their home.
My needs are covered so what else do I need to spend money on?

Cheers!

What a great idea, that's wonderful Badger!

Thanks- I'm doing my best! Just sent DDIL a note suggesting dates in late April to take my 2 granddaughters to Chicago again- an hour flight from where they live in Des Moines. I just did that in early October- first time for the 5-year old, 3rd for the 8-year old- and we had a blast.

Now that's my idea of a girls' trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom