Broken Hip Recovery?

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My mother-in-law fell last night and broke her hip. Because of COVID restrictions we can't visit the hospital and are relying on updates from my sister-in-law. It's still too early to know how bad the break is or how they'll treat it, but it sounds like she'll need surgery.

She's 82 and just got home from the hospital last week from a bowel obstruction. She had a heart attack and a valve replacement a couple years ago, survived cancer about 15 years ago, and is a diabetic. Until now she has been living on her own, alone at home.

I did a little research this morning and the outcome doesn't sound very promising. I have a hard time believing she would be able to go back to living at home on her own after this. It also sounds like a fair percentage end up dying within 12 months?

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone here knows someone who has broken a hip and what their recovery was like?

Frequently with older folks like that it's a case of the hip breaking first, which then causes them to fall. Due to osteoporosis, so probably a lot of very weak bone structure.

Recovery in the cases I know of is hugely variable, so you'll need to rely on the opinions of her doctors. It's a very tough situation, so best of luck to her.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone here knows someone who has broken a hip and what their recovery was like?
I broke my hip in a bike crash at 68. I had it pinned (more like a post and beam). It wasn't too bad but it can be a much bigger deal when you are older. My mother broke her hip when she was in her mid 70s and recovered well. The docs told me repairs are more difficult to recover from than a total hip replacement.

I dont know if its true but Ive also read the 12 month expectancy after a hip break. And the likelihood of pneumonia right afterwards bc immune system suppressed trying to heal a major bone.

However my Granny broke a hip and lived years afterwards. However her bones were so pithy the replacement just kept sliding deeper and deeper. Confined to a wheelchair shortly after the surgery. Mom said had she known then what she knew now she would have considered just trying to let it heal in place without surgery. Didn't even know that was a thing

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to know there's at least some hope for her. When I first heard about her hip, my initial thought was this might be the thing she can't recover from that would end her life. Even if she recovers, I suspect life will be a lot different going forward.

I haven't heard any updates today other than she's scheduled for surgery tomorrow afternoon.

I broke my hip in 2017 at age 37. It was displaced so they had to put it back in place and put 3 screws in. Early in rehab the screws came out too much and at the 4 month mark I had to have another surgery to have the scres taken out. Then I developed avascular necrosis and had to have a total hip replacement 13 months after the orignial injury. I still have chronic pain. It took 5 months after the initial break before I could walk without an assistive device and 7 months before I could return to full duty at my physical job. Both of my Grandmothers broke their hip around age 80 and recovered better than I did so it is highly variable. I was in a rehab facility for 7 weeks before I returned home to live alone. Not easy and I was in my 30's so someone in their 80's will have a hard time by themselves. Good luck

The docs told me repairs are more difficult to recover from than a total hip replacement.

I have had both and I would say the first 8 weeks were much worse with the break than the replacement. However, I recovered better from the break by the one year mark than from the replacement.

I dont know if its true but Ive also read the 12 month expectancy after a hip break. And the likelihood of pneumonia right afterwards bc immune system suppressed trying to heal a major bone.

However my Granny broke a hip and lived years afterwards. However her bones were so pithy the replacement just kept sliding deeper and deeper. Confined to a wheelchair shortly after the surgery. Mom said had she known then what she knew now she would have considered just trying to let it heal in place without surgery. Didn't even know that was a thing

That is what the doctor told me when my mother broke her hip. I was in shock that he said, one year life expectancy after broken hip. My mother was 88 when she broke hers and lived till 92.

My Dad was 85 when he fell and broke his hip. Or, his hip broke and he fell.

He had surgery to repair it and plenty of rehab and physical therapy. He used a walker and progressed to a cane but not enough to give up the walker. Mom had died suddenly 2 weeks before this happened to him so after rehab he tried going back to their condo with a home health aid. He tried that for about 7 months and then moved to an assisted living facility.

He was at the ALF for over 3 years and had a few falls and ended up needing a wheelchair and eventually moved to a hospice facility until he died, about 4.5 years after the broken hip. So the broken hip contributed to his decline but it was not immediate. He was 90 when he died.

Sounds like MIL is getting a partial replacement. They're replacing the ball, but leaving the existing socket.

She is scheduled for surgery this afternoon, but there is already tension brewing among the younger siblings on who is going to help with her care. They're all kind of obsessive control types (my wife included) thinking they are the only ones who can care for their mom. One (eccentric) sister wants to quit her job to care for mom, my wife wants to take time off work, etc. Taking a few days off work is one thing, taking weeks or months off is another matter. It's nice she wants to help, but we do have our own life to live...

MIL says she doesn't want to go to rehab because she wouldn't be able to visit with people due to COVID restrictions (she cares more about visiting than her own health). I'm not sure how that would work as her home isn't really set up for that. She would have to climb six or seven steps just to get into the house.

The older siblings haven't weighed in yet. I'm staying out of it... :)

Never heard of the "one" year rule after broken hip. My Mother, I think, in her 90's, fell and broke hip. Surgery done, had her up and moving within a day. Went thru rehab.
Within, 2weeks or so, walking without walker.

Couple of years ago, again, fell. Broke, other hip. Surgery, etc....again, walking fine.
Now she is 103 years old. Still, walking. does not want to use walker.

I think a lot depends on how active/and strong you are. And your "mental" attitude.

Good luck. Not all outcomes are bad.

I had the same partial hip replacement 11 years ago at age 54 after a fall off a ladder. The same procedure at 82 is quite different I'm sure. My only piece of advice is to watch her intake of pain pills. Things were different 11 years ago as the danger of opiod addiction was just coming into focus. I definitely got hooked and also experienced some potential serious bowel obstruction issues though we were able to resolve them without any surgical intervention. I distinctly remember the doc coming into my room in the rehab facility on my discharge day and asking me: "Do you want 50 or 100 oxycontin?"

As far as the reaction of your wife and her siblings - and speaking from experience with my mother's health issues and my own siblings - some people run towards the crisis, some run away and some are frozen in place. Hopefully you're MIL will have a good case manager/care advocate who is adept at dealing with these types of emotional circumstances and people. Best of luck.

Never heard of the "one" year rule after broken hip. My Mother, I think, in her 90's, fell and broke hip. Surgery done, had her up and moving within a day. Went thru rehab.
Within, 2weeks or so, walking without walker.

Couple of years ago, again, fell. Broke, other hip. Surgery, etc....again, walking fine.
Now she is 103 years old. Still, walking. does not want to use walker.

I think a lot depends on how active/and strong you are. And your "mental" attitude.

Good luck. Not all outcomes are bad.

I want to be just like your mother when I grow up! (I'm 65 now)

She sounds like a pistol! :D

Back
Top Bottom