Broker For Medicare?

Trooper

Full time employment: Posting here.
I performed a search and didn't see anything recent, so here goes.

I'm turning 65 in a few months, have applied for and been accepted for Medicare, but have not received my Medicare number yet. I believe it comes in the mail?

My main question is whether folks here have used a broker to help them through the Medicare insurance selection process (and I guess beyond). I have watched a number of very helpful Boomer Benefits, and they seem to get good reviews here, but a few say that BB can steer clients toward insurers that may not be right for them.

Second option is a local broker that a friend uses (was provided to him by his FA), but I just don't know if I am comfortable using a broker. I am a pretty much DIY guy, and am always suspicious that a broker may be doing things in their own best interest over mine. Then again, they may see things that I don't.

What can I expect from a broker, either local or BB, after I am on Medicare? Will they help me with billing questions and such? I am (at least currently) fairly healthy, and a very modest user of health care and prescription drugs. Perhaps a relationship with a broker might help next year when DW goes on Medicare?

TIA for any insight.

We had an agent come from our local senior center after a presentation. He was good, but was pushing a certain advantage plan. He said he used it and you can call him and get the answers, of course because they pay him. My wife settle on traditional with part G through AARP. She found a doctor and started seeing the doc who is part of a hospital system. She called the billing department and they told her if you have any problems with the Medicare billing then call them and they’ll straighten it out. Most any decent practice that accepts Medicare seems to know how to bill and what is covered. Look up traditional vs advantage plans on here and you will get more information than you need. I think as a diy type you can work through it on your own. My gut on brokers is they will push advantage plans as it makes them more money.

I’d recommend Boomer Benefits without reservation. They presented me with several good options and let me choose, that was three years ago. I also had the option to choose none and go elsewhere, like anyone else. It so happens I had done extensive research in the months before enrolling not realizing I could use a broker for [-]free[/-] no added cost, so I was in a very good position to evaluate BB’s recommendations. I knew what all my options were before I ever talked to BB.

DW is 2 years younger than me, and she used BB as well. We are happy with the coverage she has as well.

I have not seen anyone who was initially unhappy with the recommendation they got from BB. The only unhappy clients I have seen were several years in, sharing issues with how their provider/coverage had evolved compared to year one. That’s something no broker can always anticipate. We all have to re-evaluate from year to year to see if a change is warranted, just like any insurance product. BB can help with that too if desired, but they have never bothered us unsolicited.

Last edited:
When I was approaching Medicare eligibility I worked with Chris Westfall at SeniorSavingsNetwork.org.

Chris has uploaded many youtube videos on various aspects of Medicare. A recent one is a warning about free Medicare Advantage plans

I've been very pleased with the initial guidance I received from Chris and the annual follow-up call I've gotten from his company to help me decide which supplemental plan I should choose...the one I'm already on or a different one.

omni

I used Boomer Benefits and referred my BIL to them. Both of us have been very happy with them. BB spend time discussing what we needed and wanted and presented several options. Told us the premium increase history of those they recommended. They do not represent every company however, so maybe do some local research before calling them. I highly recommend them. Although I have not had to call them regarding a billing issue, I see that on their FB page people do utilize that option.

Just remember to get the plan you want to have when you’re sick, not when you’re healthy. A lot of agents push Medicare Advantage plans because they get higher commissions, but aren’t necessarily best for you. Check out Medicare Supplements Plan G and Plan N, or high deductible Plan G before you talk to a broker. There are plenty of YouTube videos out there. Check out the pros and cons of Medicare Advantage plans, especially the differences between them and supplements.

Boomer Benefits (BB)!

Wife went on Medicare in 9/2019. I did a lot of research ahead of time. In the last half of 2018 she had over $500k in medical claims. Thankfully we had insurance and we only paid the maximum out of pocket. It made our decision simple; original Medicare with a supplement plan G and part D. What I found was you can only get so far to get any details from any of the insurance company websites, before having to enter personal info, phone, address and email. We were already getting inundated with mail and phone calls and I did not want to feed the beast. We contacted BB to avoid spreading our info around. They confirmed my research and handled the enrollments.

I'm Medicare eligible 3/23. I've a tickler in the calendar to contact BB on 12/1/22 to sign me up. Although healthy now (knock on wood) the experience in 2018 showed how your health can turn on a dime and has me leaning towards the same original Medicare with a supplement plan G as my wife. I recall there is a discount for two on the supplement. I only take vitamin D so I'll sign up for a cheap part D to avoid any future late enrollment penalty.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks to all that have replied thus far. Great wisdom here. I am definitely leaning toward a Medigap/Supplemental plan. Even though I could likely get by with an Advantage Plan, it doesn't appear to be something I want to mess with. DW will definitely be getting a Plan G, so we can get a multi-family discount as well at that time.

I went onto mdicare.gov and there are literally 65 (coincidence LOL?) plans G in my state, ranging in cost from $125/month to $533. Since by law they all cover the same things, how on earth does one decide between them?

Just remember to get the plan you want to have when you’re sick, not when you’re healthy. A lot of agents push Medicare Advantage plans because they get higher commissions, but aren’t necessarily best for you. Check out Medicare Supplements Plan G and Plan N, or high deductible Plan G before you talk to a broker. There are plenty of YouTube videos out there. Check out the pros and cons of Medicare Advantage plans, especially the differences between them and supplements.

What I found was you can only get so far to get any details from any of the insurance company websites, before having to enter personal info, phone, address and email. We were already getting inundated with mail and phone calls and I did not want to feed the beast. We contacted BB to avoid spreading our info around. They confirmed my research and handled the enrollments.

Although healthy now (knock on wood) the experience in 2018 showed how your health can turn on a dime and has me leaning towards the same original Medicare with a supplement plan G as my wife. I recall there is a discount for two on the supplement. I only take vitamin D so I'll sign up for a cheap part D to avoid any future late enrollment penalty.

Great points, thanks.

Perhaps a relationship with a broker might help next year when DW goes on Medicare?

Traditional Medicare + supplement is pretty straight forward. In the long run, you'll be much better off doing the homework and avoiding having someone else do it for you. No one cares about your health and your money as much as you........

DW, 65 yrs in April '23, and I just used Boomer Benefits. They did not push any particular plans but, explained/recommended the Medigap/drug plans that met our requirements here in Florida. We went with Plan N. Having passed underwriting @ 74 yrs, I am moving from an Advantage plan back to Traditional Medicare in January. I highly recommend BB!

Any experience here with Via Benefits? https://my.viabenefits.com/about

My previous employer portrays this as a service contracted for retirees, but apparently Via is free to all(?)
Soon, expect to receive Via's Enrollment Guide that explains "how to evaluate coverage options, amount of annual tax-free credit to a special "Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) account, how to complete enrollment, and what to expect after your complete your enrollment".
A Via licensed benefit advisor will guide me through evaluation process.

Should I be cynical regarding Via's advice possibly benefitting my previous employer more than me, or is Via's guidance a great benefit that I can depend on to avoid lots of the Medicare research by assuming Via's guidance is in my best interest?
Thanks for your time.

I am a pretty much DIY guy, and am always suspicious that a broker may be doing things in their own best interest over mine.
Each state has a Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP) with unbiased volunteers to help you through the process.

https://www.shiphelp.org/

Medicare & You Book: https://www.medicare.gov/publications/10050-Medicare-and-You.pdf

Choosing a Medigap Plan: https://www.medicare.gov/sites/default/files/2022-03/02110-medigap-guide-health-insurance.pdf

If you use a national broker like Boomer Benefits, be aware they may not represent a regional carrier like BCBS-AZ.

I went onto medicare.gov and there are literally 65 (coincidence LOL?) plans G in my state, ranging in cost from $125/month to $533. Since by law they all cover the same things, how on earth does one decide between them?
First, policies in AZ are either "issue-age" or "community-rated" and there is a slight difference between the two but usually not a factor over the long-term.

Most people quickly eliminate the names they have never heard of. In AZ, most narrow their choices to UHC/AARP and BCBS-AZ for plans G and N since they are familiar and have competitive rates.

While the Medicare supplemental coverage is the same for every 'G', some companies will include additional benefits such as a gym membership and/or dental/vision discounts.

Any experience here with Via Benefits?

Should I be cynical regarding Via's advice possibly benefitting my previous employer more than me, or is Via's guidance a great benefit that I can depend on to avoid lots of the Medicare research by assuming Via's guidance is in my best interest?
Thanks for your time.

I don’t think there’s any reason to be cynical. Your former employer pays them to provide whatever benefit they’ve given you. In my case we both get $900/yr, $1,800 total, to use towards our health benefits. Via Benefits distributes them each year until they run out. We only get the benefits if we book our Medicare Supplement/Advantage and Part D plans through Via. They get paid commissions just like any broker. There are no markups at Via Benefits over any other broker.

I am not Medicare age yet but free advisors are available in every state. These are paid or funded through HHS. People I know that have used them have had good experience and found them very helpful.

They are called State Health Insurance Assistance programs, the acronym is SHIP.

In Virginia we have VICAP counselors which may be a SHIP or state funded but unbiased.

I encourage you to select an advisor not affiliated with a particular insurance company. You want independence.

Best of luck!

Presuming you go the traditional medicare plus medigap route, I'd offer that if anyone wants to "help you" get a medigap plan and doesn't lead with the basics on pricing [Attained-Age vs. Issue-Age vs. Community-Rated Medigap Plans ... for definitions, see: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Medicar ... _(Medigap) ] as well as a mention of the business practice of "closing the book", they haven't placed your interests ahead of other interests, or is incompetent. So if someone tries to sell you on Mutual of Omaha, for instance, without telling you they play this close the book game, they're not doing you any favors.

The practice of "closing the book" occurs when the claims from the specific group of people who have that policy get high enough, and so the price to of the premiums to cover the claims get so high that that nobody new is buying that policy any more. At this point, the insurance company makes a "new company" and quits selling the original policy. Then, anyone that can pass medical underwriting realizes they can leave, and many do because of the price increases. This leaves only the people who "can't leave" due to their medical condition. This creates a "sick duck pool" that has high, and ever-increasing prices.

Presuming you go the traditional medicare plus medigap route, I'd offer that if anyone wants to "help you" get a medigap plan and doesn't lead with the basics on pricing [Attained-Age vs. Issue-Age vs. Community-Rated Medigap Plans ... for definitions, see: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Medicar ... _(Medigap) ] as well as a mention of the business practice of "closing the book", they haven't placed your interests ahead of other interests, or is incompetent. So if someone tries to sell you on Mutual of Omaha, for instance, without telling you they play this close the book game, they're not doing you any favors.

The practice of "closing the book" occurs when the claims from the specific group of people who have that policy get high enough, and so the price to of the premiums to cover the claims get so high that that nobody new is buying that policy any more. At this point, the insurance company makes a "new company" and quits selling the original policy. Then, anyone that can pass medical underwriting realizes they can leave, and many do because of the price increases. This leaves only the people who "can't leave" due to their medical condition. This creates a "sick duck pool" that has high, and ever-increasing prices.

Thanks for the advice, and for the BH Medicare wiki link- it's fantastic!

Any experience here with Via Benefits? https://my.viabenefits.com/about

My previous employer portrays this as a service contracted for retirees, but apparently Via is free to all(?)
Soon, expect to receive Via's Enrollment Guide that explains "how to evaluate coverage options, amount of annual tax-free credit to a special "Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) account, how to complete enrollment, and what to expect after your complete your enrollment".
A Via licensed benefit advisor will guide me through evaluation process.

Thanks for your time.

I don’t think there’s any reason to be cynical. Your former employer pays them to provide whatever benefit they’ve given you. In my case we both get $900/yr, $1,800 total, to use towards our health benefits. Via Benefits distributes them each year until they run out. We only get the benefits if we book our Medicare Supplement/Advantage and Part D plans through Via. They get paid commissions just like any broker. There are no markups at Via Benefits over any other broker.

Dash man, thanks for your reply-
I assume that the benefit amount provided by my employer will be provided with the Via Benefits Guide that I'll receive.

Assuming the same requirement to use Via to get the benefit, exploring other options/advisors probably a waste of time.

Glad to hear you're satisfied with Via-
When did Via contact you? Approx 3mos before eligible?
Thanks!

Dash man, thanks for your reply-
I assume that the benefit amount provided by my employer will be provided with the Via Benefits Guide that I'll receive.

Assuming the same requirement to use Via to get the benefit, exploring other options/advisors probably a waste of time.

Glad to hear you're satisfied with Via-
When did Via contact you? Approx 3mos before eligible?
Thanks!

I received information from them to sign up online at the social security website for Medicare Parts A and B three months before my birth month, which I did. I was told to contact them after I received my Medicare number. I had already done my research on the Medicare Supplements we wanted and selected the AARP/UHC plan G, and the Aetna SuperScript for Part D prescription plans. I set up an online account and entered all of my prescriptions and personal information first. I was able to see all the prices and compare plans on their website, but also checked the insurance companies websites and Medicare.gov. The Via Benefits website is pretty good. I could have done everything without speaking to anyone, but since it was my first enrollment, I waited until I spoke to an agent to enroll. When I called, he was able to tell me and my wife our benefit amounts (we were born the same month). Enrollment was easy since I did all the preparation before the call.
Five months later we called to change from Plan G to Plan N, staying with AARP/UHC. That was easy too since we were within the six month window to make any changes.

When I was approaching Medicare eligibility I worked with Chris Westfall at SeniorSavingsNetwork.org.

I've been very pleased with the initial guidance I received from Chris and the annual follow-up call I've gotten from his company to help me decide which supplemental plan I should choose...the one I'm already on or a different one.

omni

+1 My wife & I both used Chris Westfall at SeniorSavingsNetwork.org and were very pleased with his service. I think Chris or Boomer Benefits would help you. They both have tutorials and videos to educate you through the Medicare maze.

I received information from them to sign up online at the social security website for Medicare Parts A and B three months before my birth month, which I did. I was told to contact them after I received my Medicare number. I had already done my research on the Medicare Supplements we wanted and selected the AARP/UHC plan G, and the Aetna SuperScript for Part D prescription plans. I set up an online account and entered all of my prescriptions and personal information first. I was able to see all the prices and compare plans on their website, but also checked the insurance companies websites and Medicare.gov. The Via Benefits website is pretty good. I could have done everything without speaking to anyone, but since it was my first enrollment, I waited until I spoke to an agent to enroll. When I called, he was able to tell me and my wife our benefit amounts (we were born the same month). Enrollment was easy since I did all the preparation before the call.
Five months later we called to change from Plan G to Plan N, staying with AARP/UHC. That was easy too since we were within the six month window to make any changes.

Thanks for providing your details on how enrollment thru Via worked-

Being proactive doing Medicare research obviously worked for you. That's a real hands-on approach -apparently you made your decisions prior to engaging Via, vs receiving and considering their expertise(?)
I've delayed serious research, only doing general familiarization while waiting to get the guidance provided by Via's licensed benefit advisor. I assume this could save time by allowing me to compare Via's recommendation to other options. Basically, more focused and knowledgeable research.

After hearing how you rolled, don't know if one approach is better, or if it makes no difference!
Based on your timeline and a mid-Oct. letter from my employer, I should hear from Via before 12/01.

Thanks for providing your details on how enrollment thru Via worked-

Being proactive doing Medicare research obviously worked for you. That's a real hands-on approach -apparently you made your decisions prior to engaging Via, vs receiving and considering their expertise(?)
I've delayed serious research, only doing general familiarization while waiting to get the guidance provided by Via's licensed benefit advisor. I assume this could save time by allowing me to compare Via's recommendation to other options. Basically, more focused and knowledgeable research.

After hearing how you rolled, don't know if one approach is better, or if it makes no difference!
Based on your timeline and a mid-Oct. letter from my employer, I should hear from Via before 12/01.

IMO, knowing the pros and cons of the different options ahead of time prevented me from falling for a sales pitch. They are still insurance broker earning much of their money from commission. Medicare Advantage pays a higher commission to them. You also turn much of the decision making over to the insurance company that can deny claims. With a Medicare Supplement, if Medicare pays, the insurance company pays. Period. Some insurance brokers will be truthful with you, others push Medicare Advantage for the higher commission. I suggest you do your research.

I've always read good things about MedicareNationwide, that they aren't chasing commmisions and happy to sell the most cost efficient HD G.

https://medicarenationwide.com/
I assume they are getting paid commissions from Medicare supplement providers just like every other broker? How are they different?

Back
Top Bottom