California Water Restrictions

Most oil is used in transportation, and most of that can be electrified, and is slowly becoming so.

Long range trucks and ships cannot be electrified can they?

Would be very expensive. More battery weight to have any kind of load capacity and range.

Heard they were talking about using fuel cells.

Not only are trucks and ships bad for CO2, they're bad for particulate pollution.

There was a study showing children living near Port of Long Beach suffered higher incidence of asthma and other respiratory problems.

I’m curious what kind of vegetables are growing in the pictures to the left and right of the tomato plant?

The one on the right is a kind of bok choy. The one on the left is a kind of mustard green.

They are both cool season plants. They don't survive the summer heat, and actually go to seed in late spring.

Would be very expensive. More battery weight to have any kind of load capacity and range.

Heard they were talking about using fuel cells.

Not only are trucks and ships bad for CO2, they're bad for particulate pollution.

There was a study showing children living near Port of Long Beach suffered higher incidence of asthma and other respiratory problems.

Lots of improvements have been made to, especially trucks in terms of particulates. And unfortunately, there is no substitute for most ship transport which is fairly efficient (same or better than locomotive engines - approaching 50%.)

By the way, in terms of environmental issues in Long Beach, keep in mind that it is a major oil field production area. Lots of bad smells and bad stuff in the air due to that. YMMV

Lots of improvements have been made to, especially trucks in terms of particulates. And unfortunately, there is no substitute for most ship transport which is fairly efficient (same or better than locomotive engines - approaching 50%.)

By the way, in terms of environmental issues in Long Beach, keep in mind that it is a major oil field production area. Lots of bad smells and bad stuff in the air due to that. YMMV

I remember reading an article that the problem wasn't the state of truck technology.

The problem is a lot of individual owner/operators had trucks which were decades old, so they were grandfathered to allow a lot of emissions.

It was too much money for a lot of these people to upgrade their trucks. Even if they had the money, why would they if they had a vehicle which ran and produced income for them, as opposed to spending tens of thousands or more for a new rig?

Do you have a reference for the 49 years? When I last checked the US had 100 years of untapped oil. We have huge reserves.

What alternatives are there for water, electricity and food?

If I knew I would be a rich man. Myself I would raise my own meat and food, water I already bring the surface by a hand pump, and electricity I would survive without it. I would survive as far as the world goes, I have no idea how you would or other people. I didn't say it would be easy but I could survive as long as God wants me here on earth.

As for the 49 years statement I just researched how many years of reserve oil does the WORLD have left. There are 1.65 trillion barrels of proven oil reserves in the world as of 2016. The world has proven reserves equivalent to 46.6 times its annual consumption levels. This means it has about 47 years of oil left (at current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves).

World Oil Statistics - Worldometerhttps://www.worldometers.info › oil

Try it and see what you come up with and give me a fact reference on the 100 years you found.

Last edited:
[/B]
If I knew I would be a rich man.

As for the 49 years statement I just researched how many years of reserve oil does the US have. Try it and see what you come up with and give me a fact reference on the 100 years you found.

I actually did that a few weeks back for some other reason - forget what. I found a site (didn't keep it) that calculated proven reserves by country and then divided by estimated yearly usage - leading to an estimated (calculated) value just under 50 years for USA as best I recall. Tried to find it again, and, of course, I couldn't find it. YMMV

Try growing your own food and get an appreciation for how close we are to starvation.

A lot of people in my area gave up on their pandemic gardens. It's tough, even with sufficient water. It's all the other critters who want to enjoy your food that drives growers crazy.

If food does become really scarce, the 4 legged critters will be the least of it. Friends had a garden at the local university which provides plots for anyone to use - you did have to sign up. Sure enough, when crops were ready, people stole the produce. Friends got very little. Obviously, the police could care less - what are they going to do? Check people in and out?

DW and I were up late one night and looked out the back window at the homestead. There under the apple tree was a woman with grocery sacks of our apples. Since we didn't usually use many of the apples, we didn't really care. But I would have preferred the woman asked permission - which I would have granted. YMMV

My father used to find people with mature fig trees on their lot. Most people let this delicious fruit fall to the ground and rot. He would knock on the door and ask permission to pick the figs. Usually, they let him pick as many as he wanted. Otherwise they just had to clean up the rotting stuff to keep down the flies.

Most oil is used in transportation, and most of that can be electrified, and is slowly becoming so.

But we will have to solve the lithium problem eventually. Ugly to mine and questionable supplies.

But we will have to solve the lithium problem eventually. Ugly to mine and questionable supplies.

And what supplies we have are harder to recover than those of our adversaries from whom we buy most of it. Problematic is an understatement as we get greener.

Do you have a reference for the 49 years? When I last checked the US had 100 years of untapped oil. We have huge reserves.

What alternatives are there for water, electricity and food?

If I knew I would be a rich man. Myself I would raise my own meat and food, water I already bring the surface by a hand pump, and electricity I would survive without it. I would survive as far as the world goes, I have no idea how you would or other people. I didn't say it would be easy but I could survive as long as God wants me here on earth.

As for the 49 years statement I just researched how many years of reserve oil does the WORLD have left. There are 1.65 trillion barrels of proven oil reserves in the world as of 2016. The world has proven reserves equivalent to 46.6 times its annual consumption levels. This means it has about 47 years of oil left (at current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves).

Try it and see what you come up with and give me a fact reference on the 100 years you found.

Thanks, street!:) That was the site I found a couple of weeks ago - and then lost! Been looking for it and couldn't find it.

Of course, "proven reserves" are always found as we go along. So 47 years proven reserves could be 40 years proven reserves 20 years from now. It's not one for one, 'cause we always find more - as long as folks want the stuff, we'll find it (at some price.)

Thanks, street!:) That was the site I found a couple of weeks ago - and then lost! Been looking for it and couldn't find it.

Of course, "proven reserves" are always found as we go along. So 47 years proven reserves could be 40 years proven reserves 20 years from now. It's not one for one, 'cause we always find more - as long as folks want the stuff, we'll find it (at some price.)

True!! This is just one on many reliable sources that say this amount, of years (~49) in reserve. Yes, it could be more but we are using more oil every year than the year before. Almost everything is make from petroleum product. From packaging to the useable product we get in that package.. I have been able to find anything that says 100 year of known reserves of oil exists that Bergamo said exists.

Last edited:
[/B]
True!! This is just one on many reliable sources that say this amount, of years (~49) in reserve. Yes, it could be more but we are using more oil every year than the year before. Almost everything is make from petroleum product. From packaging to the useable product we get in that package.. I have been able to find anything that says 100 year of known reserves of oil exists that Bergamo said exists.

I was wrong. We have 200 years of technically recoverable oil in the USA and I am sure we will find more in the future.

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/fossil-fuels/gas-and-oil/technically-recoverable-oil/

Please note I did not use the phrase "proven reserves" as that is a narrow legal definition. This is explained in this IER article. Many other sources for this information.

I was wrong. We have 200 years of technically recoverable oil in the USA and I am sure we will find more in the future.

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/fossil-fuels/gas-and-oil/technically-recoverable-oil/

Please note I did not use the phrase "proven reserves" as that is a narrow legal definition. This is explained in this IER article. Many other sources for this information.

Interesting and thanks. In the world is the number of years I was referring too.

In any case it isn't to early to find a way to use less oil and try to be more efficient with this resource.

Last edited:
Long range trucks and ships cannot be electrified can they?

It's so much more efficient to move cargo by water than by land.

Tractor-Trailers can indeed be partially electrified (recharging at terminal, truck stops) plus they're large enough to hold the refrigeration equipment needed to store LNG for use after the battery capacity is depleted.

All commercial trucks in the future will need an EV-only mode if they want to go into urban centers, though that's for emissions reasons.

Interesting and thanks. In the world is the number of years I was referring too.

In any case it isn't to early to find a way to use less oil and try to be more efficient with this resource.

In the world I would expect more than 200 years since the USA is the largest consumer and countries like Venezuela have very large reserves. I have not done the research to find the actual numbers.

It's so much more efficient to move cargo by water than by land.

Tractor-Trailers can indeed be partially electrified (recharging at terminal, truck stops) plus they're large enough to hold the refrigeration equipment needed to store LNG for use after the battery capacity is depleted.

All commercial trucks in the future will need an EV-only mode if they want to go into urban centers, though that's for emissions reasons.

I was referring to pure electric and range. 2500 miles across the USA. Sure fuel cells are possible. I'm not sure it is any better for the environment to "burn" NG than diesel. And before everyone jumps on particulates please note there are Diesel engines that capture particulates and other emissions.

In the world I would expect more than 200 years since the USA is the largest consumer and countries like Venezuela have very large reserves. I have not done the research to find the actual numbers.

Sounds like you have all the answers.

Back
Top Bottom