Christmas blues

Like some others here I am not a Christian so Christmas was always someone else's holiday. I could stand aside and watch all the angst and chaos (and the joy) of others.

I believe in kindness and joy around the holidays regardless of any faith and religion.

I'm not one to think, if I say 3 Hail Marys and Our Fathers, I'll make it to the pearly gates but if I only say 2 better get ready for the heat :(.

That's like if someone said there is no Santa Claus. Sure about that? :). I believe in kindness and joy.

Then we realized we have a lot of friends who also don't have family in the area so we started hosting dinner for them. It's a lot of work, but I really enjoy it. It puts giving into Christmas for me.

+1

Yep. Even though DW and I have lots of family in the area (kids, grandkids, siblings, cousins and their kids, god-children), we enjoy being with friends too. Many are long time friends we've been close to for decades, others are folks we've met since FIREing. We get together with friends every holiday season and frequently include some in family activities. A rotating dinner for a group of "friends from the old neighborhood" which we host every third year is one of our favorite activities of the season.

My sympathies W2R also for your loss of friends and family in 2018.

Lost one friend in 2018, and he was a joy and often played Santa to poor kids and others as he resembled Santa so much. So am missing Tom this time of year as well as appreciating his goodness and knowledge of the true meaning of the season.

Reactions: W2R
When I was growing up New Years (Hogmanay) was equally as special as Christmas. New Years Eve was a special event complete with the ‘first footer’ to come through the front door. I very much miss those days and feel lonely at that time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom