Complimentary Xfinity Revew - what to ask?

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I received a mail from Xfinity, my service provider, offering a "complimentary account review." Now, obviously, they want to sell more services, although they are pushing an offering of 2 year "great rates" on premium channels.

Their REAL object, I think, is to switch me to Xfinity mobile, which I would be willing to consider. But I am happy with my Verizon service, though it is $70/month. They've told me before that "Xfinity Mobile uses the Verizon network." But what does that mean? I have no idea.

And I don't know if my beloved Galaxy Note 9, a 4G phone, can even use a 5G network (though obviously I can look that up). But I wanted to wait one more year to see if Samsung came out with a Note-type phone with a stylus which is smaller than the current too-big S22.

Anyway, all this is to say I think I'm in a position to get some kind of really good bargain from Comcast, but I don't know what to ask for. Has anyone gone through this? They need to be grateful I haven't cut the cord yet.

It's means in my case that I switched from Verizon to Xfinity for my cell service and noticed no difference and got a screaming deal on a new Samsung. The savings are substantial.

Just talking to comcast is painful. We do it once a year to bargain for new/better rates. Usually, this results in some mistake (like...oh great HBO stopped working) and a return call with another 30 minutes lost out of life.

Almost any good bargain will be temporary, with most of the good stuff expiring in a year, and an early termination penalty.

Re mobile, we're with Fi, and pay about $45 a month for two lines. IIRC comcast's offer was competitive if we bundled it, but it would have to be crazy for us to move that service, so we didn't take it. We stayed with just cable/internet, with a bundle that makes it worth it...but every year it gets a little less so.

We switched from Verizon to Xfinity about a year ago, had internet and mobile service (4 lines). Saved almost $100 per month right off the bat with the change, plus got two free new SE 2nd gen iphones, and $25 additional monthly discount for two years, with Showtime, Peacock free. They have a "rewards" monthly, we usually choose a free movie.

Much of it is just good advertising to switch, but the initial reduction in price is what moved us at the time. And we have a local Xfi store, so easy to either walk in or schedule appt.
We went in on our own, have never heard of an "account review" though.
But it wouldn't hurt if you have the time and interest. Easy to say NO Thanks.

Oh! Forgot to say--
When we went in, I told the guy that we were retirees on a limited budget, current bill at Verizon is too much, what can you do for us?
He was extremely helpful, went over our bill and got us all those discounts.
We'll see what happens when our two years is up. I have no problem asking for continued lower costs and switching elsewhere if needed.

We have Xfinity included in our quarterly association at our Florida condo. While the Verizon wireless coverage is poor at our Vermont home, even if it was good I'm not sure that I would do Xfinity Mobile due to cost. There are too many good Verizon MVNOs out there offering much better pricing.

Red Pocket offer a unlimitd talk/text with 3GB data on Verizon wireless for $20/month. Why would one pay Xfinity Mobile $30/month when they can pay an MVNO $20/month for the same service?

I think that the MVNOs are generally pretty good deals.

IMO from a rural point of view all MVNO are not created equal..Xfinity is the only one that actually delivers on same quality service

Geez, I just made the call for the review, and ended up cutting the call off early. I was actually insulted - what they were proposing would cost me more, for some services I wouldn't use. Perhaps I should have negotiated, but I didn't like the guy either. I still think I could do better. Would I be better off calling customer service and starting out more aggressively, instead of calling for the "complimentary review" and waiting to hear what they offered?

I'd never consider adding any Xfinity services. They are the masters of advertising low introductory rates and after they have you as a customer, hit you with increases every chance they get. And their customer service is still bottom of the barrel, with their agents having little authority to do anything other than push more services at higher prices.

We have Xfinity included in our quarterly association at our Florida condo. While the Verizon wireless coverage is poor at our Vermont home, even if it was good I'm not sure that I would do Xfinity Mobile due to cost. There are too many good Verizon MVNOs out there offering much better pricing.

Red Pocket offer a unlimitd talk/text with 3GB data on Verizon wireless for $20/month. Why would one pay Xfinity Mobile $30/month when they can pay an MVNO $20/month for the same service?

I think that the MVNOs are generally pretty good deals.

+1 on MobileVirtualNetworkOperators!

We do the Red Pocket annual plan, on the AT&T network because we get better service in our rural area from GSMA, and get 3GB and unlimited text/talk - $180 annual per phone.

About 15 months since we went with Red Pocket and haven't experienced any call issues. Have used their online chat when we changed phones to make sure we set up APN properly and it was fairly quick and painless.

Renewal for the 2nd year was as simple as buying an annual plan on Ebay prior to renewal and then logging in to our red pocket account online and entering the code number for the next year of service on the day our original plan expired.

:dance:

Yes, MVNOs appear to be a no-brainer. We use Google Fi because of the international features but there are some MVNOs that are even cheaper.

I am amazed at the number of storefronts that the majors have. I wonder how many $/month those stores cost the subscribers.

I did call customer service at Xfinity - not the "complimentary review" and ended up with a better deal, though still not anything amazing, and got HBO & HBO max thrown in. I also switched to xfinity mobile - we'll see how that goes, at a much lower price and a gift card. I'm glad I called but this kind of negotiation is a ridiculous waste of time and effort.

Why do providers bother to mention “unlimited calls and text?” Isn’t it rare for unlimited calls and texts to not be included in plans? It’s all about data these days, or so it seems.

What I’d like to see is much more transparency on throttling on so-called “unlimited data” plans.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom