Consumer Cellular

The nice thing about Consumer Cellular is that you can adjust your data/call plan as you go. So if you have high-usage month once in awhile you can adjust you plan on the spot so you don't get slapped with a high overage rate.

I have been on CC for only a few months, but this is a really good feature which allows you to more carefully control costs. You can keep your data plan on the cheaper low level, and if you get a message saying you're close to the limit, you can just bump it up to the next level. Even if you go over the limit, you can bump it up anytime before the billing cycle ends.

I also like that CC allows using your phone as a hotspot, which it seems most of the prepaid carriers don't. This was the primary reason I switched, so I can have internet access on my computer while traveling.

I rarely use my phone for actual talking, so all the one size fits all unlimited talk plans are a waste for me. I go for the minimum talk plan (and with CC texts are part of the data plan rather than the talk plan like most others).

The last little benefit is a small discount for AARP members.

I also like that CC allows using your phone as a hotspot, which it seems most of the prepaid carriers don't. This was the primary reason I switched, so I can have internet access on my computer while traveling.
For others wanting the hot spot feature, beware that the Moto E has this, but the older Moto G does not. I'm not sure if the Moto G LTE has or does not have hot spot on it. If important to you, check with CC first.
It works great on our MOTO E.

Accident, if you travel abroad a lot then you should go with T-Mo, their plans allow you to use data roaming for free. You will still have your US number and the per minute cost is very low. The free data roaming is a huge advantage.

I've toyed with this idea before, but when we go overseas we just get local SIMs. Two main reasons for us: 1 - we can communicate w/ everyone back home using other means. For example, Facebook Messenger has an *amazing* voice call quality! 2 - all our local friends/expats have local numbers. Very difficult and expensive to use a US # in Mexico to call a Mexican cell #.

Of course we spend months at a time there, not just a vacation. YMMV.

I changed the data plan of my CC to save a couple of bucks a month :). If my usage goes up during the month, I can always adjust to a higher plan.

We don't have a landline but miss that definitive "you have a call" loud ring. Since CC deals with AARP, do they offer loud ringing, eyesight friendly, volume adjusting old folk cell phones?

We don't have a landline but miss that definitive "you have a call" loud ring. Since CC deals with AARP, do they offer loud ringing, eyesight friendly, volume adjusting old folk cell phones?
My MOTO G EXT has a very load ring if I choose one of the louder ones and TURN IT UP. The sound when ringing is user adjustable. My SO's MOTO E is also loud if turned up.
Ths size of font on screen is also adjustable, so it can be bigger. I wear reading glasses and progressive glasses and can see phone.

My MOTO G EXT has a very load ring if I choose one of the louder ones and TURN IT UP. The sound when ringing is user adjustable. My SO's MOTO E is also loud if turned up.
Ths size of font on screen is also adjustable, so it can be bigger. I wear reading glasses and progressive glasses and can see phone.

Thanks, I'll look at it. It sounds like what I am looking for.

Tadpole,
I tried to send you a private message with some CC info, but it said you had it turned off. If interested, turn it back on?

Back
Top Bottom