Cordless Vaccum Cleaner

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I Will Have a Tough Decision in 2020.
Of course, I'm talking about my cordless vacuum cleaner need :popcorn:.
I bought a cordless Hoover Lynx vacuum back in around 2013. Still works well, but every few years I need to replace the litium-ion battery (not cheap, about $60) and possibly the roller kit and belt (about $15).

I can tell the battery is getting weaker as when new, a full charge lasts about 30 minutes of run time, now the run time is down to about 20 minutes.

Come 2020, will probably be time for the replace and repair or get a different vacuum cleaner.

I've been eyeing the Ryobi stick vacuum cleaner as it runs off the 18V drill type battery (I have a lot of Ryobi tools) and has positive reviews, but is not cheap.

Still have time, but will have to decide to stay with the Hoover Lynx or go Ryobi or something else.

Decisions, decisions :blush:.

Last edited:
Dyson.
We have the stick kind and two handheld models (one per floor).
Fantastic machines. Using them for about four years now and we absolutely love them. Not at all cheap but well worth the money.

+2 on Dyson cordless "Stick vacuum". Had ours 3 years now.

Batteries are getting better and better as the days go by. It won't be too long until even the cheapest ones will be sufficient for most needs. As a matter of fact, I now have a battery powered leaf blower that is fantastic...lasts for at least 30 minutes on high (not sure how long it will go, haven't needed to use it longer than that).

MIL purchased a Bissell Air Ram 1984 (about $200) and she raves about the thing. Apparently it has a 40 minute battery life and it's long enough that she can vacuum her 3300 SF house with no issues and she likes it better than her old school plug in Dyson. When it comes time to replace our Shark Navigator cordless that is what we will get...but the Shark is almost 4 years old and works just fine, so not sure when that will be.

Last edited:
I have a couple of cats that like to kick cat litter all over the place. Brand new, my Hoover Lynx does a great job of sucking up all the cat litter and other dust and cat hair.

Over the course of a few years, I can see the suction and battery life diminishing until I do some maintenance which involves new battery, unscrewing (somewhat tedious) bottom of the vacuum head to clean out any excess stuff in the roller. A few years back, the belt and roller died so I bought replacement parts. I just did a cleaning a couple days ago. This helped but vacuum doesn't suck up all the cat litter and dust like when brand new (if I change the roller, maybe the vacuum cleaner would pick up everything).

When the battery is worn out to not hold a good charge (I expect sometime in 2020) I will have to decide do I spent about $75 for new battery and roller or spring for another machine.

+3 on the Dyson

We previously went thru 2 cheap cordless Shark models--and they wore out in a year. Maybe the expensive Sharks are better.

With all hardwood floors, we use the Dyson on and off all day long. Cordless vacuums are just great.

It's about 70 years old, but I've not had to replace batteries in my Hoover Constellation just yet. *wink*

It's about 70 years old, but I've not had to replace batteries in my Hoover Constellation just yet. *wink*
Yea, those lead acid batteries are heavy, but they last and last.

Back
Top Bottom