Covid Getting Closer to Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help! I am in a panic. 90 year old mother (who is vaxxed and boosted) woke sick yesterday, cough, chills, aches. She had been exposed to covid by someone who eats lunch near her in the dining room at her CCRC who tested positive. Mother tested positive by rapid test given to her by the nurse at CCRC. They have no PCR tests at the CCRC and cannot find any, I have searched all over her area for a PCR test and cannot find any (she lives about an hour and a half from me). Mother seems a little worse today but can still breath Ok and her oximeter shows 95, she has no fever and she is able to eat and sleep. I have been calling her doctor and have not gotten a return call. What else can I do? Do I just pray and hope for the best? I cannot go to her apartment as I have a husband who is immune compromised. I have a sister who lives near my mother who is little help and says she will not go in mother's building either. Thanks for any suggestions.

If it were my mother, and I did not hear back from her doctor, I would get her into an urgent care (which treats covid - I would call first before bringing her in to make sure) or an ER, in light of her age, and considering that some treatments are more effective given sooner rather than later.

With regard to your DH, he can feed himself yes? If not, you can have meals delivered to him. It would mean that you would need to quarantine yourself from him, after exposure to your mother, until you were safe.

Of course, we have a few medical professionals on site, who would be more knowledgeable.

Last edited:
Definitely urgent care or the emergency room. My 85 yo MIL caught Covid right around Thanksgiving and that's what they did (she lives with another of her daughters). She was given monoclonal antibodies in the ER immediately and thankfully recovered well.

Last edited:
95 on a pulse ox and her age, I'd call the nearest hospital that you trust with an ER and ask how to get her admitted. You probably shouldn't risk exposure to her directly, but you can act as her proxy for a 911/ambulance call I would think?

Definitely urgent care or the emergency room. My 85 yo MIL caught Covid right around Thanksgiving and that's what they did (she lives with another of her daughters). She was given monoclonal antibodies in the ER immediately and thankfully recovered well.

It seems as there is only one monoclonal antibodies treatment that is useful for omicron and as I understand, those are in short supply.

Is there no physician (at least on call) at this CCRC?

What about the new anti-viral tablets - paxlovid and the other new one?

What about the new anti-viral tablets - paxlovid and the other new one?

They're also in short supply and there are some specific criteria you have to meet to get them, supposedly.

Help! I am in a panic. 90 year old mother (who is vaxxed and boosted) woke sick yesterday, cough, chills, aches. She had been exposed to covid by someone who eats lunch near her in the dining room at her CCRC who tested positive. Mother tested positive by rapid test given to her by the nurse at CCRC. They have no PCR tests at the CCRC and cannot find any, I have searched all over her area for a PCR test and cannot find any (she lives about an hour and a half from me). Mother seems a little worse today but can still breath Ok and her oximeter shows 95, she has no fever and she is able to eat and sleep. I have been calling her doctor and have not gotten a return call. What else can I do?.

Sorry to hear it and hope she has a speedy recovery.

1. There is no need for a PCR. She has COVID if her test was positive.
2. There is one monoclonal antibody that is active against Omicron. Contact her doctor or local hospital or urgent care to find out who is offering that therapy.
3. When you see her, both of you should wear N95 or KN95 masks at all times. If you need to drive her anywhere, masks on and windows open at least a bit.

Thankfully, the urgent care my DW went to last week is making the COVID-possible patients stay in their car. They are brought through the back and into a separate area. DW was the only one in the actual waiting room (possible ear infection).
That's the best way to handle it. I think our local hospital has a separate entrance and area for suspected Covid cases. Our state department of public health guidelines say to check with your doctor as to how to proceed.

Did they at least have a few of those high quality air purifiers running? I would hope so.

We really need to funnel Covid Only patients to separate sites where they don't mix with the rest of the population who have other health concerns.
Don't know if high quality air purifiers were running. Luckily I was only in the waiting room about 10 minutes before going to an exam room. and I agree on your funnel plan.

Interesting comments in Peter Attia's latest podcast. Basically, some people think the best overall long term immunity is two mRNA shots followed by a Omicron infection. The variety of genetic differences displayed by Omicron supposedly prepares the immune system to hand a larger variety of corona virus variants in the future. IOW, If you have two shots and then get Omicron, Omicron is your booster. At least I think that's what the doctors said. :confused:
You caught me! The idea behind my post came right out of the conversation between those doctors.

Same. Also we know now that prior infections from some variants (ie Delta) don't help much against others (ie Omicron).
I've not seen statistics on that. Certainly vaccinations that only train the immune system on a few small bits of the virus aren't protective against omicron. But I think the body makes a polyclonal response when it fights off the actual disease, and so in theory, has "seen" a lot more of the virus, and can use that to effectively fight it. Not that someone who's recovered from delta won't get omicron, but I'd guess that more often, they would not get significant symptoms.
So rushing out and kissing someone with Omicron might not be that helpful for the next version that starts to become dominant. Then you just end up having gotten sick for no "benefit" of extra immunity.

Still, either way I'm in the camp of not wanting to get anyone else sick. My gamble wouldn't just risk me alone. If all of humanity lived in little solo pods, that's one thing. But like most of us, I can easily rank some in my immediate circle as more vulnerable to a more severe outcome, even if they are well jabbed-up. People I see at least weekly, whom I would likely infect before I knew what happened.
It's much harder if you're in close living quarters with someone more vulnerable than yourself. Even if you buy into what they're saying about "everybody's going to get it", that doesn't mean that you must take on the burden of knowing it was you, especially if a really bad outcome arises. I would feel horrible if I knew that it was me.

Studies may show that getting a mild infection of Omicron will boost your immunity. But if the effects of booster wears off, why would the effects of an infection not wear off?

Only the antibodies wear off. The B and T cells remain and they are now much more efficient in fighting off Covid. That's why people can get reinfected but most likely avoid serious illness, hospitalization and death. That is my understanding.
I agree with Chuck. Probably because we go to the same "school" :LOL:

Another thing these guys mentioned was that they tested people with the original SARS, and they still had a T and B cell response, 17 years later.

The immune system is absolutely amazing to me. These cells "remember" seeing something in the distant past, and if they "see" it again, they crank out antibodies at a moment's notice. They really kick it into high gear if you're well rested and get regular exercise. Ok, that last line was conjecture and it could have a causality issue. But I'm trying to get out a little bit more and sleep a little better, just in case :)

Well, then, I'm feeling particularly bulletproof right now, having had two mRNA vaccines and a booster (all Pfizer) AND having now recovered from a breakthrough infection by Omicron (probably). But I still wear the mask indoors. At this point, more in solidarity with my fellow citizens than due to any concern about infection.

Got a text from a friend and told me about a friend of ours, that his brother died from covid this morning. He was 58 years old and good health and great shape. He didn't show up for work last week and company checked on him and found him not doing well. I guess been in hospital for about a week and died from covid.

I know the brother both really well and was roommates with the brother that is living when we got of high school.

Update on my son who tested positive Tuesday. He had a slight fever (99 to 100) and headache for a few days. Today he called and talked to my wife and said he feel good and no more fever. I thank God for that great news.

Last edited:
Help! I am in a panic. 90 year old mother (who is vaxxed and boosted) woke sick yesterday, cough, chills, aches. She had been exposed to covid by someone who eats lunch near her in the dining room at her CCRC who tested positive. Mother tested positive by rapid test given to her by the nurse at CCRC. They have no PCR tests at the CCRC and cannot find any, I have searched all over her area for a PCR test and cannot find any (she lives about an hour and a half from me). Mother seems a little worse today but can still breath Ok and her oximeter shows 95, she has no fever and she is able to eat and sleep. I have been calling her doctor and have not gotten a return call. What else can I do? Do I just pray and hope for the best? I cannot go to her apartment as I have a husband who is immune compromised. I have a sister who lives near my mother who is little help and says she will not go in mother's building either. Thanks for any suggestions.

I am sorry to hear this. With a home test that is positive, you do not need a PCR, I don't believe. Since she lives in a CCRC, do they not have medical personnel who check on members? Their nurse should be able to monitor her and call for medical transportation to take her to the ER. At age 95 and pulse ox 95, she probably should be seen and get some early treatment.

Best wishes to her

After many calls back and forth finally got to talk to the PA in mother's doctor's office. They are trying to find her monoclonal antibody treatment but there is only 1 treatment that works for Omicron so they were not optimistic they could find her any treatment. I have made a bunch of calls to the infusion places myself and no one has any availability. As for the antiviral pills they say they are simply not available. The only treatment that is available is Remdesivir, which would require her to be admitted to the hospital and they do not think she is sick enough for that since she is not having breathing problems. The local hospital is full and she would be placed in the hall or shipped off somewhere else. They said that 95 on the oximeter is what mother normally has so that is good. If mother develops any breathing difficulty then we will get her to some hospital somewhere. At this point she just has to tough it out at home. Prayers appreciated.

@harllee
Your internet family is praying.

@harllee
Your internet family is praying.

+1 We are all hoping for the best possible outcome.

When I got Covid in Arkansas, Frank called 911 for an ambulance and they took me to the ER. The hospital tested me for Covid, admitted me, and put me in the ICU. So if all else fails, you could have the CCRC call 911 maybe?

I have zero medical training, but for some reason I thought 95 was a pretty good pulse oximeter reading, especially for an elderly woman who may not be as active as the average younger person.

Mine has been 95-96 for the past month when I measure it first thing in the morning (before getting up and moving around). A few days after getting over Covid and returning home, it was around 88-90. So I would think maybe that type of reading is of more concern than a reading of 95.

+1 We are all hoping for the best possible outcome.

When I got Covid in Arkansas, Frank called 911 for an ambulance and they took me to the ER. The hospital tested me for Covid, admitted me, and put me in the ICU. So if all else fails, you could have the CCRC call 911 maybe?

I have zero medical training, but for some reason I thought 95 was a pretty good pulse oximeter reading, especially for an elderly woman who may not be as active as the average younger person.

Mine has been 95-96 for the past month when I measure it first thing in the morning (before getting up and moving around). A few days after getting over Covid and returning home, it was around 88-90. So I would think maybe that type of reading is of more concern than a reading of 95.

Yes, the physician assistant I talked to thought that an oxygen level of 95 was very good for DM, just hope it stays that way. The CCRC has nurses that are keeping an eye on mother and will update me and call 911 if necessary. The only problem at the CCRC is that they are overrun with cases both with residents and staff all of whom are vaxxed and boosted. The problem with calling 911 is where to take her since there is no room at the local hospital. But I hope it does not come to that.

harlee: Adding my prayers for your Mom and I hope the CCRC is able to manage everything and everyone.

Steve: Great news about your son. I am so very sorry about your friend.

Every day it seems, I facilitate between getting a bit overwhelmed at the high number of cases and hoping for the best for all.

harlee >>>> I hope for the best the virus has everyone's life upside down. So, many just like you are going through the same ordeal. You are not alone, and things will work out.

Yes, the physician assistant I talked to thought that an oxygen level of 95 was very good for DM, just hope it stays that way. The CCRC has nurses that are keeping an eye on mother and will update me and call 911 if necessary. The only problem at the CCRC is that they are overrun with cases both with residents and staff all of whom are vaxxed and boosted. The problem with calling 911 is where to take her since there is no room at the local hospital. But I hope it does not come to that.

Wow, what a difficult situation for you! 95 is a good blood oxidation level and I’m glad you’ve been able to talk to some medical folks. Vaxxed and boosted provides a lot of protection, so we can hope she’ll be able to stay in the comfort of her CCRC and not need 911 or a hospital.

In a lot of ways Omicron has us back to square 1 as some of the effective treatments like monoclonal antibodies stopped working and so infectious even for vaxxed, but fortunately the vaccines plus booster really do protect against severe disease with Omicron and your DMs initial symptoms like chills and aches indicate that her immune system ramped up quickly to fight it.

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, Harlee, the young wife and I caught Covid right before Christmas. We were doubly vaccinated and boosted, but we still caught it. It was just like a bad cold -- coughing, congestion, headache and tired for 4 or 5 days. We are now recovered and feeling fine. We are 63 and 61 and generally in good health, so you can discount as appropriate.

Just want to express my gratitude for all medical staff who are treating all these patients. I know we are all tired of masks, vaccines, disruption of our normal daily lives, etc.

But imagine the exhaustion, both physically and mentally, of all those on the front line.
We need to support them in any way we can. I mask up always and DH and I have been minimizing outings again. At least until this surge wanes.

I will be praying for your mom, Harlee. I am hoping for a quick recovery for her.

I am happy for everyone who has loved ones who have recovered and I am so sorry for the people who had loved ones that did not recover.

I am also very thankful for the medical personnel that are fighting so hard to treat everyone.

Best of wishes harllee, I will say a pray for your mother.

Harllee, know we're all thinking of you and your DM and sending positive vibes.

As far as the pulse ox rate, generally, it's below 95 that should start one wondering. Presumably this is also impacted by age and health - and your for your DM at 90yo that might be quite good even in normal times!

For someone otherwise much younger and healthier, they may typically run a bit higher. It's when scores are lower than 95 that you might want to start paying attention.

Good reminder for everyone to have one on hand, and, to establish your healthy/normal baseline. Most OTC units have a bit of a range too, so they might not be perfect.

I'm reminded that I'm always on the very low end of body temp. If I'm ever as high as the "standard" 98.4, I know it means I'm getting sick. I am always in the 96's otherwise. Bodies are all a bit different!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom