Current Covid Booster - September 2023

Got three jabs Friday morning, covid booster, rsv and flu. Went and did a hard work out at PF and felt pretty good until later afternoon, then just kind of crappy. Went to bed early woke up the next day feeling fine.

I miss getting a lollipop. I'm off in about an hour to get my new booster, and I thought about stopping at the Starbucks a few doors down as a grown-up treat, but that would mean either waiting longer for my morning coffee or overcaffeinating.

Most of my friends in NY and DC have said they were told that they're not doing paper cards any longer. MD and NYS have digital QR code programs, though, MDMyIR and Excelsior respectively.
No lollipop. :( But the pharmacist was quite good, IMO. Fairly sore shoulder for 24 hours, pretty much gone now after 48. I think I felt a little tired Friday afternoon/evening, but it could have been psychosomatic. Walked a lot yesterday with no fatigue...well, no more than usual!

Got my 'new' free Binax Covid self-tests in the mail today. They have a 3/16/2023 expiration; per the CDC official extension site, they now expire 10/16/2023. So, I'm good to go as long as I need to test myself before next Monday. I think the new free giveaway was just so the companies could get paid for tests they would otherwise not be able to sell with a straight face....
:LOL:

Also, was able to get the new Covid booster and flu shot from CVS last week. Many next-day appointments available at about half the locations in the Houston area. All seemed to only have the Pfizer variant. Sore arm on the Covid arm, minimal soreness on the flu arm. I helped a friend who has no insurance, and CVS made it easy for her to get a free Covid shot via the bridge (??) program. Nice, overworked pharmacist made it all very easy

FWIW, FDA no longer calls the annual Covid vaccine a booster. Same as flu - just an annual vaccine.

Got covid (left arm) and flu (right arm) shots last Wednesday afternoon. Both shoulders were a little sore on Thursday, but back to normal on Friday. No other side effects.

FWIW, FDA no longer calls the annual Covid vaccine a booster. Same as flu - just an annual vaccine.

And same as flu, they will reformulate it each year according to their best guess as to what strain/variant will be circulating, which is my understanding of why it’s not a booster (in layman’s terms anyway). I’m hoping they come out with a combination shot in the years to come.

Novavax is approved but it seems to be in short supply. I couldn't find any locations within 100 miles. Has anyone used it?

Update on the Kaiser (San Diego county) stuff.

Recap: My sister was unable to get an appointment before 11/30 when she tried through the Kaiser site. She asked her doctor directly when she was in for other stuff and was told no luck, even for the staff members. Since she and I are going to Italy mid November she was pretty peeved. She tried Rite-aid and costco but both wanted $120-134 for the jab, and it would be up to her to try and reclaim that from Kaiser... Her insurance is a medicare advantage plan as a retiree through her teachers union... so it's a very large group plan. Kaiser's website implied that people with "commercial" policies would be able to go to a pharmacy for the covid booster as long as it was prior to 11/11/23. She could not get a straight answer from member services whether her plan was 'commercial'. They also offered no solution to needing a shot before going to Europe. I was faster on the draw and have an appointment 8 days before we leave for Italy.

New info:
* Older son, in Pomona (LA county), was able to get an appointment for next week. What a difference 100 miles makes in the Kaiser system.
* Kaiser San Diego county seems to have gotten their hands on more supply... They sent an email telling people to sign up for the shot. Since my sister's original appt was after when she really needed it, she deleted that appointment and signed up fresh. She's now getting her shot 3 days before I get mine. So we'll both be vaxxed when we go to Italy. I left my appointment alone, in case it resulted in an even later appointment for me.

Also, Kaiser is inconsistent in how they're communicating. The email I got today (which triggered my sister getting a better appointment) was not sent to her... Even though she's got gold plated, no copay, no deductible coverage... vs my bottom of the barrel bronze high deductible plan.

I got my covid vaccine today at my local Kaiser. There is a list of locations that offer it on the Kaiser website. If my local Kaiser didn't have the vaccine, I had a couple of other Kaiser choices within about 1/2 hour from my home.

I have an appointment at CVS this Thursday, 10/12, to get the flu vaccine and the Covid vaccine at the same time.

I'm not looking forward to it, because I'm usually fatigued and sore after any vaccinations, but it beats the alternative, so off I go. In lieu of a sucker, which they don't give to adults, I plan to buy myself a candy bar as a reward for being so responsible. :D

And same as flu, they will reformulate it each year according to their best guess as to what strain/variant will be circulating, which is my understanding of why it’s not a booster (in layman’s terms anyway). I’m hoping they come out with a combination shot in the years to come.

I would think they might have to because the uptake of covid shots is not that high to make it profitable to keep giving them unless the government buys them . . . or that is my working theory on how this current one will go. . . of course we don't know how much they require to give out to make it worth the costs and how many people will take it yet.

Get my hi test flu shot for seniors next week. As per my physician I will wait until the next updated covid booster is available.

In between....I will get the Shingrex vaccine shots at Costco. I have to pay for them. $130. USD for both shots.

Novavax is approved but it seems to be in short supply. I couldn't find any locations within 100 miles. Has anyone used it?

My wife and I had Novavax as part of a mixed vaccines trial before it was approved. No after effects whatsoever.

Get my hi test flu shot for seniors next week. As per my physician I will wait until the next updated covid booster is available.

In between....I will get the Shingrex vaccine shots at Costco. I have to pay for them. $130. USD for both shots.

Brett if you are on Medicare it’s free starting this year.

Both hubby and I got the updated Covid vaccines two days ago, Hubby also got the Shingrix vaccine at the same time. Due to aches and pain during that night, yesterday was a total loss, we felt miserable. For me, it was the sixth covid shot (immune issues) and for him, it was his third. I had completely forgotten that I would feel terrible the next day. Today, all is good. :dance:

Is there any info on which of the new Moderna or Pfizer Covid vaccines is better in terms of protection and/or side effects? I can get either and I've mixed and matched in the past. The Pfizer shot is a bit more convenient for me to get.

Is there any info on which of the new Moderna or Pfizer Covid vaccines is better in terms of protection and/or side effects? I can get either and I've mixed and matched in the past. The Pfizer shot is a bit more convenient for me to get.

I just went with Pfizer, as when I switched to Moderna I had a more severe reaction.

I don't think there is a dramatic difference.

We read info about the Moderna version holding up well against current variants and nothing about Pfizer. But they are probably similar.

Moderna is a larger dose.

Not here in Bay Area either. The Novavax website say they’re coming soon. I’m waiting for it at least until end of the month.

I got the updated Covid vaccine and the flu vaccine yesterday afternoon.

About 12 hours in, my arm was sore and very warm to the touch; I had a low-grade fever and some aches (mostly in my neck and back) overnight. Felt very fatigued and slept for 10 hours straight last night, which is unusual for me.

Today I feel much better; I took some Advil and a hot shower, and aches and fever are gone. I expect the arm will feel tender to the touch for a couple more days.

Putting up with minor side effects for 24 hours is totally worth it to me.

Received my booster yesterday at around 10am, then went shopping. Felt run down within 2 hours of receiving the shot. Came home and rested for the evening. Took some Tylenol before going to sleep due to waking up with muscle aches from previous doses. At around 24 hours after getting the shot started to feel better and feel about 90% now. All caught up with annual vaccines until next year!

DH and I received our flu and covid vax Friday. Sore arms, but that is all we noticed.
We got the Pfizer.

Decided for convenience sake to go with Pfizer covid vaccine this go-around. Would have gone to CVS but they had no appointments available on Friday afternoon so got one at Walgreens. Flu shot in right arm and covid shot in left. No sore right arm, slightly sore left at the injection site 48 hours later. A bit tired Friday night but fine yesterday and today. I'll get the RSV in a couple of weeks.

DH and I got the Pfizer covid vaccine on the 12th of Oct. My shoulder felt sore to the touch. It did not bother my DH at all. We will get our flu vaccine approx 2 weeks later and then the RSV a couple of weeks later. I don't like the idea of getting more than 1 shot at a time and live close to Sam's Club where we get the shots.

Back
Top Bottom