Cutting Granite Counters

Another vote here for the "pay the experts" - unless you secretly would be happy to destroy and have to completely reno your kitchen.

Also please for the entertainment value, get some good before and after pics - either to prove us all wrong, or show us the disaster.

I used RYOBI 4 in. Tile Saw to cut 3/4 inch silgranite. These were edge cuts, done outside with hose hooked up.

In your kitchen it is probably possible to hook up to kitchen or laudry faucet, and just have a trickle coming out. I would probably drop plastic tent over the area. A wet vac will help, just concerned about all the hoses, cords, etc. that may distract you.

Making a few perpendicular notches might help. If you can set up a fence, it will give you a lot of confidence as you go forward.

I appreciate the comments. So, the tally is 1/3 has words of encouragement, 1/3 thinks I am insane and in over my head, and 1/3 would only hire a professional (actually putting them in the "insane" category most likely).

Rather than grider, I'd use something like the Ryobi saw. In my mind that is safer.

What does your unpaid assistant think about this project?

I know a professional could do this in less time, but which of the contractors are professional?

Project complete! Had some major anxiety when I discovered a fissure/crack in the Silestone that radiated perpendicular from one of my my intended cuts. Almost abandoned the entire project. Fissure wasn't large (that's why it went previously undetected) so I went for it. Trying to cram my 6' 4" body under the cabinets was a challenge. Our attempts at containing the slurry offspray was about 90% effective. Really- on the ceiling?
Made a small overcut but it will be concealed by the lip of the rangetop. I purchased a slide-in with an overhang so I had some room for error in my cuts. I needed it.
I used a 5.5 amp Ryobi grinder with an Avanti Diamond Turbo blade. Lots of water provided by a hose and my wife's steady hand. If the cuts were to have been visible, my setup was not sufficient. Nor my skill. 45 minutes for setup, 20 minutes for cutting, 30 minutes for clean up. I would do it again. When the range is installed on Thursday, I will post some photos.
Oh, no effect on the crack. Same as before....whew!

Project complete! Had some major anxiety when I discovered a fissure/crack in the Silestone that radiated perpendicular from one of my my intended cuts. Almost abandoned the entire project. Fissure wasn't large (that's why it went previously undetected) so I went for it. Trying to cram my 6' 4" body under the cabinets was a challenge. Our attempts at containing the slurry offspray was about 90% effective. Really- on the ceiling?
Made a small overcut but it will be concealed by the lip of the rangetop. I purchased a slide-in with an overhang so I had some room for error in my cuts. I needed it.
I used a 5.5 amp Ryobi grinder with an Avanti Diamond Turbo blade. Lots of water provided by a hose and my wife's steady hand. If the cuts were to have been visible, my setup was not sufficient. Nor my skill. 45 minutes for setup, 20 minutes for cutting, 30 minutes for clean up. I would do it again. When the range is installed on Thursday, I will post some photos.
Oh, no effect on the crack. Same as before....whew!

Congrats! :dance:

omni

Great job, kevin! I knew ya could do it :)

A spinning blade and water tend to do their own special decorating :D

Back
Top Bottom