Daily WORDLE - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wordle 255 4/6*

[emoji834][emoji834][emoji834][emoji834]?
??[emoji834][emoji834]?
:confused:??

I actually had the word in 4, but decided they wouldn't use that word for the puzzle. I guess I was wrong. At 5, I decided to risk trying it and voila.

Wordle 255 5/6*

⬜⬜?⬜⬜
:confused:⬜⬜
?⬜??⬜
?⬜??⬜

Wordle 255 3/6

?⬛⬛?⬛
??⬛?⬛

And this makes my streak 50/0

Wordle 255 4/6

⬛⬛⬛����
⬛������⬛
����⬛��⬛
����������

Birdie!

Wordle 255 3/6

?⬜⬜?⬜
⬜?⬜⬜⬜

I actually had the word in 4, but decided they wouldn't use that word for the puzzle. I guess I was wrong. At 5, I decided to risk trying it and voila.
Same here. It was the only thing I could think of, but kept telling myself they wouldn't use it. But, I was at 5 and figured I had nothing to lose.

Wordle 255 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜?⬜?⬜
??⬜?⬜
??⬜?⬜

Same here. It was the only thing I could think of, but kept telling myself they wouldn't use it. But, I was at 5 and figured I had nothing to lose.
(Unintentional) spoiler?

Whew

Wordle 255 6/6

[emoji833][emoji833][emoji833]??
?[emoji833]?[emoji833]?
??[emoji833][emoji833]?
??[emoji833][emoji833]?
??[emoji833][emoji833]?

Wordle 255 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜?⬜?⬜
??⬜?⬜
??⬜?⬜

Since the cat is already out of the bag, I'll say the same thing happened to me too. It's wise to not read this thread before doing the puzzle!

Wordle 255 5/6

⬜⬜⬜?⬜
⬜⬜?⬜⬜
⬜??⬜⬜
?⬜:confused:

So are there any official rules regarding a delineation between what words are acceptable and what are not? After today's word, I apparently have a misunderstanding of that delineation.

So are there any official rules regarding a delineation between what words are acceptable and what are not? After today's word, I apparently have a misunderstanding of that delineation.
This site (link) claims to have lifted the underlying files containing:
  • 10,657 valid guesses
  • 2,315 valid solutions
I have NO IDEA if it's correct, or if it's applicable to the NYT edition (IIRC NYT removed some words they thought could be controversial when they bought out the original Wordle).

Doesn't matter to me anyway as Wordle won't accept an invalid word so you have nothing to lose by trying any 5 letters you'd like.

https://www.kaggle.com/bcruise/wordle-valid-words?select=valid_guesses.csv

All 6 guesses must be valid words according to Wordle’s dictionary, which is basically the set of all 5 letter words plucked from the English dictionary. If you enter an invalid word, Wordle won’t accept your input and you’ll have to enter again. If you have any doubts you can simply enter the word and Wordle will inform you whether your input was a valid one or not.

Last edited:
I don't plan on giving daily updates anymore, I guess the novelty of that has worn off (and who really cares, right?). And since we want to be careful about spoilers, there's not much to add anyway.

But I still play the daily and one archive a day, and I'm still a bit better than 4 as an average. But I'm posting today, because I was really close to getting it on the second guess, I was pretty sure I had a good word. I notice people get excited when they get it in 2, but it was actually a let down for me. It's mostly luck at that point, and I enjoy the analytical process of looking through the possibilities, and figuring if one path is better than another. Like I may choose a word that (if wrong) helps eliminate some possibilities from two different paths.

But if I get it on the second try, I'm deprived of that mental challenge. Game over, not much fun. So fortunately, my second guess was *not* correct, and the follow ups were a pretty challenging puzzle to break down the elimination patterns. That was fun. Got it in 4.

The flip side is when I can't think of any valid word to enter. Then I just sit and try to break through the mental block. The other day, I did "cheat" on the archive, I just couldn't take it anymore, too much time staring at a blank piece of paper/screen. So I went to a site that would list X-letter words that contained your letter sequence. The word I found was strange, it was accepted but not the answer. Then, finally, the right word came to me. Duh! That's just too much time to invest for me.

Anyway, still having fun with it. Enjoy!

-ERD50

Doesn't matter to me anyway as Wordle won't accept an invalid word so you have nothing to lose by trying any 5 letters you'd like.

But it matters to me, for the way I play. I sometimes use another site to see if my potential guess is a valid scrabble word, which would be a good indication.

Why does it matter? Well, for strategy, I may be at the point where I want to list out every possible word, and look for patterns. I may have one word that helps eliminate letters from two different groups (like maybe "PH***" combos and "PA***" combos that have other common letters). But if I enter it and it's accepted, I just played it - I can't keep evaluating if that was the best one or not. I need as complete a list as I can think of for that.

I've only had one loss in 44 games, (in Hard Mode), so that seems to be working for me. And I'm generally not so good at this sort of word game.

-ERD50

But if I get it on the second try, I'm deprived of that mental challenge. Game over, not much fun. So fortunately, my second guess was *not* correct, and the follow ups were a pretty challenging puzzle to break down the elimination patterns. That was fun. Got it in 4.

This just reminded me of the Twilight Zone episode, where the gambler dies and goes on to the after life. He's able to gamble at any game he wants, and he's winning - it's great! Then he realizes, he always wins! He can't lose! He never loses! What's the fun in that?

Then he comes to a realization..... (no spoilers!)

-ERD50

This site (link) claims to have lifted the underlying files containing:
  • 10,657 valid guesses
  • 2,315 valid solutions
I have NO IDEA if it's correct, or if it's applicable to the NYT edition (IIRC NYT removed some words they thought could be controversial when they bought out the original Wordle).

Well, that's helpful. As long as I don't get penalized for an invalid word, that's OK. I'm still at 100% wins out of 41 plays (I missed one day of playing.) My average is slightly more than 4/6. Today's win took 5 tries. Almost certainly if I'd known for sure about invalid words, I'd have tried the winning word earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom