Daylight Spending Time

I'd love never having to switch. I'd prefer to have standard time be made the standard, but I'll take permanent DST.

We had it during the 1970's. As I recall, everybody liked it. Then people started complaining that little kids were walking to school in the dark. So, Congress changed it back.

I'd love never having to switch. I'd prefer to have standard time be made the standard, but I'll take permanent DST.

Hey, Walmart in my Dad’s small town was putting out artificial Xmas trees at the same time as Halloween and fall decorations near the end of September this year!

Last edited:
Along the eastern border of the Central time zone, DST sucks. While it doesn't matter to us retirees too much, w*rking folk are forced to do anything outside after work in the dark. (Sunset here today at 4:46PM)

I'd prefer Standard time.

Personally i don't mind the switch.

How many devices do you have to change?

For us, it's over fourteen devices(!), including the thermostat, two watches, oven, microwave, the timer for the dehumidifier, three analog wall clocks, bedside clock radios, two cars, etc. Lena just had to drive the truck out of the garage because it wasn't light enough inside to see what she was doing.

I had to change the two clocks in the Leaf (dashboard and media player). For the latter, it took me five minutes to figure out how to change it (not intuitive).

All of those devices have a different interface, sometimes requiring finding the manual.

If it takes twenty minutes*, that's forty minutes a year times 127 million households and equals over eight million lost man hours per year. Insane!

*Took me longer because I had to come on here and bitch about it.

Last edited:
As I said in another thread:
Microwave, oven, and toaster oven. Had to spend ten seconds on each.

Everything else, including our cars, updated itself back to standard time last night.

Sometimes you just gotta love the Internet of Things!

I much appreciate today's hour of temporal stimulus. Today is 1/24 = 4.2% longer than most other days. That's 4.2% more time to w*rk, goof off, shop, pay taxes, etc. Hey, when fiscal stimulus no longer helps, Congress can make permanent the daily extra hour and goose the economy another 4.2%. That doesn't even include all the jobs created to make 25-hour clocks, rewrite all schedules, reprogram every piece of important software, ...

As I said in another thread:
+1

Today was the first time I didn't have to change DW's vehicle! Last ten years I had to look it up as it was the most counter-intuitive interface I've ever seen!

That said I'd love DST all year round. It's not as big of deal after retirement thankfully. I used to watch myself about this time of year. Perhaps SAD, but it was depressing to go to work in the dark and drive home in it.

Last edited:

Three.

I already changed the clock here in my den. My computer and phone automatically changed.

I still need to change my alarm clock (which I will do at bedtime), and when we go out to lunch I'll change the clock in my Venza.

I don't use the clock on my oven, or the one on my microwave, so they always display something crazy instead of the actual time. My thermostat is manual. I don't wear a watch.

5 clocks including the car have to be changed. 7 more devices update automatically.

I also would not object to canceling the twice a year time changes.

One. The clock in my car is the only thing I have to change manually. My computer and phone change automatically and that's all I have with the time on it. One of the positives of not owning more than I need.

Along the eastern border of the Central time zone, DST sucks. While it doesn't matter to us retirees too much, w*rking folk are forced to do anything outside after work in the dark. (Sunset here today at 4:46PM)

I'd prefer Standard time.

Agreed. My new job requires me to work until 4:30. Sunset is 4:36. I can't rake leaves, mow lawn, or anything else outside except weekends from now on. The leaves on my trees are the last on the block to fall and i'm still raking until at least Thanksgiving. Now I can only do it on the weekend so I hope it's not raining or snowing on the weekend. Also, I will no be leaving for work before the sun is up enough to not have my lights on AND be leaving work after it's too dark to drive without lights on. So i'm basically working the entire daytime hours. :(

Another disadvantage to living in Paradise is that we do not change time. Sounds good, actually. Unfortunately, all the national program times change and the local cable feed can never catch up until they are inundated with complaints (I guess.) So, the DVR will be recording (or not) the wrong stuff for the next 2 or 3 days. Well, I could be wrong this time. It's only happened every other time - they could get it right this time, so YMMV.

I like what the do in South Korea (maybe elsewhere?). Instead of f-ing with the clocks twice a year, they start school, hourly jobs , and many business operations an hour later during the winter months.

My objection to DST is more basic: If you want it to be light when you get home, you change the work hours, not the clock.

That's like [funny analogy here--anyone?]

We Arizonans don't do no stinkin' DST.

All I have to remember is whether the NYSE opens at 6:30AM local time, or 7:30AM. And whether it closes at 1PM or 2PM my time.

Sundown at 5. Glad I'm not working anymore. Time for a rum & coke!

Plus two Kindles.

Did I read somewhere that this is the end of daylight savings time forever?
That would be welcome news.

I did read that only Congress can do away with the seasonal time change and that a number of states have passed legislation approving eliminating it, but need Congress to act so they can implement it.

How did Arizona get away with never observing DST in the first place?

It appears to be similar to the case of some state workers never joining SS, and always having their own pot of retirement money.

Once you are in, you can never get out.

PS. Hey, I just reminded myself of the lyrics of the song "Hotel California".

" We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave! "

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4jimkr

Last edited:
That would be welcome news.

I did read that only Congress can do away with the seasonal time change and that a number of states have passed legislation approving eliminating it, but need Congress to act so they can implement it.

Since my state has a bill pending, I've been reading up on this. As long as the entire state is on the same time, they can claim themselves exempt from the federal requirement.

Back
Top Bottom