Dental Discount Plans?

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I have heard mention of dental discount plans that can be used in addition to regular dental insurance. I don't know anything about them and I don't even know the names of these plans.

Are any of you knowledgeable about such discount plans?

Thank you

Ours is an Aetna plan, but bought through dentalplans.com. It was recommended by our dentist.

Basically you pay a small premium to get negotiated rates with your dentist. Because dental "insurance" generally has incredibly low limits, we find the dental discount plan is cheaper.

When I asked my dentist about them, they pointed me to these two that they worked with. I went with the Aetna one. 2021 is my first year using it and it worked out as planned.

https://www.aetnavitalsavings.com/
https://www.cignadentalsavings.com/

Most private purchase dental insurance of any quality will cost between $25-$40 per month per person. It usually has a deductible of at least $50 and a max payout of $1000-$1500 per year. It probably includes near free cleanings and exams. And then discounts on services up to the max payout value.

Dental discount plans cost $75-$100 or so total, and then just offer discounts on all services. No max $ limit. Cleanings/exams aren’t free, but significantly discounted.

I had no dental issues this year, so just 2 cleanings and exams. It saved me about $100 over the cost of my previous insurance from the ACA exchange.

Dentists like them because they don’t file a claim. The patient pays on the day of service.

Make sure you pick a plan that your dentist accepts. I would verify with them and not just trust the dentist lookup tool for the discount card.

Also, some dentists offer their own discount plan. We are changing dentists now (old one retired and sold. Buyer then moved the practice 30 minutes away) and the one we are moving to offers a plan for $289/yr. Includes 2 exams and cleanings, one set of x-rays, and a 30% discount on all other procedures. Not a great bargain, but at least we know the costs upfront.

Also, some dentists offer their own discount plan. We are changing dentists now (old one retired and sold. Buyer then moved the practice 30 minutes away) and the one we are moving to offers a plan for $289/yr. Includes 2 exams and cleanings, one set of x-rays, and a 30% discount on all other procedures. Not a great bargain, but at least we know the costs upfront.
My daughter used such a plan last year when she did not have dental insurance and was satisfied with it.

Well that is a great bargain compared to my dentist. Cost me $450/yr for the plan includes 2 cleanings and exams and one set of films. Plus I only got 5% discounts after year one and will be 7% in year 2.

30% off crowns and implants would have saved me about $3300 this year.

We just purchased the Aetna Vital Savings plan. If you get this directly from Aetna, they offered to waive the $20 one time sign up fee. The total cost for a year was $105 for the family plan and they don’t seem to care how many people are in your family. I put both our mothers on it and they were fine with it.

If you purchase this plan through other outlets, the cost will be higher. We know this from previous experience. Just make sure your dentist accepts this plan.

If you have an AARP Medicare Supplement one of their benefits is Dentegra discount dental plan.

https://www.aarpmedicaresupplement....dfs/value-added-services/SA25835ST_ITI_WB.pdf

In our area the in-network dentists are at places like Aspen Dental and DentalWorks. We have a dentist that we've been with for many years and he is not in their network. He charges $99 to join his practice's discount plan. I think the AARP Dentegra plan is free. With our dentists discount plan cleanings were $60 instead of $118, DH had to get a crown replaced and it was $695 instead of $850.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom