Did Your Button Pop Out?

Put a 6 pound turkey breast in the egg at 300F for a hour and a half, pulled at 164 on the embedded thermometer and it rose to 169 on the table waiting.

It was very good, but the triple decker turkey-bacon clubs will be even better - :)

Haven't seen a pop up in a bird in years...

I poke with the thermometer obsessively. I look for 170F at the breast and over 180F at the thigh, measured in several places.

Does anyone use a plastic turkey cooking bag? We love them, no brining, no basting. Turkey cooks more quickly and stays moist, even when well cooked, say around 180F in the breast. Virtually fool proof. Just remember to poke a few hole in the top of the bag to keep in from inflating and melting/burning on the oven walls or top heating element (!).
We've used them and they're awesome. If you're a fan of clean ovens and great cooking those are great. It's the only way DW will allow me to bring a ducky home.

Ours popped while resting. I didn't even realize it had a button until I saw it popped up. I also use a thermometer in several places. We also use a bag. Has never failed to turn out an excellent moist turkey.

Didn't notice till now but my 22 lb Butterball didn't have one. Never trust them anyways.

I'm especially fond of dead fish.

Red Badger;2146214 .......Besides said:
Thanks for the flashback. When hunting ring neck pheasants as a kid, the birds nested on the ground and would not fly until you practically stepped on them.

DW always uses a bag on the big bird. Then I carve it up with the finesse of an ax murderer. Still tastes great. Guests leave with new Tupperware and leftovers.

DW and I use pop up when referencing late pregnancy. As in "Looks like her belly button will pop any day now." :greetings10:

Atom

DMs cousin was a chemist on the team that developed the oven bag. I remember being at Great Grandmothers farmhouse when she sent a box of them up. The great Aunts and Uncles all figured her contribution must have been as the hand model on the direction drawings. I mean how could a girl contribute otherwise? Even remember one great uncle saying "Good for her, she always had pretty hands."
Still SMH 50 yrs later.

We cooked an 18 pound Honeysuckle on the Weber. We cooked it for around three hours and tested for doneness with a meat thermometer. Our little button stayed intact....no launch for us.

Back
Top Bottom