Disasters bring out the best in people

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixonge

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
No, seriously!

"Sociological research over several decades demonstrates that disasters typically bring out the best — not the worst — in people. Disaster survivors tend to respond in overwhelmingly "prosocial" ways: They remain calm, make rational decisions and cooperate with others to address immediate threats. "

Disasters bring out the best in people

"But nothing could be further from the truth. For every antisocial jerk out there, there are thousands of doctors, cleaners and nurses working around the clock on our behalf. For every panicky hoarder shoving entire supermarket shelves into their cart, there are 10,000 people doing their best to prevent the virus from spreading further. In actual fact, we’re now seeing reports from China and Italy about how the crisis is bringing people closer together."

Don't forget - Disasters and Crises Bring out the Best in People

If they don't cut that out everyone will be infected by this damn disease!

Every one WILL be infected. Its only a matter of when. The quarantines and social distancing is only meant to slow it down to a level that medical resources can keep up.

Not all the people are coming together. I can't help but notice the talking heads in the media and assorted politicans are still bashing people on the other side of the political divide. I took out my pencil and paper so as to make mental notes of my elected representatives who are engaging is such behavior. And I vote.

OTOH, like the floods in Houston, I see lots of we common folks helping each other out regardless of political beliefs, religion, race, gender beliefs, nationality, etc. Good for us.

Yesterday, a local restaurant owner figured out that the food being brought to ER staff at the hospitals was missing all the ER people who work the late night and early morning shift. So he got his staff together and made an very early morning delivery of food to the local ER staff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom