Does Individual Vision Insurance Make Sense When Retired?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I know that the consensus here is that individual dental insurance pretty much doesn't make sense when retired.

How about vision insurance?

I've always had VSP as vison insurance in the past. First through megacorp then on my own after retiring. But then I dropped my VSP coverage and just relied on my HSA as my insurance (similar to how to pay for dental).

When no longer on Vision insurance from megacorp, now I don't know should I be feeling like a sucker for getting individual vision insurance or a sucker for not.

What does it cost you and what are the benefits?

A $50 policy that included annual exams I'd be up for. A $200 policy not so much. Also depends which docs take it...details, etc.

Me, nah.

I had VSP through my last employer. We ended up gravitating to the chain operations that accepted it- I didn't even look for independent practitioners. The exam was covered but then they led you over to all the designer frames where you got a "discount" from the sticker price but every feature (scratch-proof, progressives, narrower frames than normal, etc.) carried a surcharge.

We started using Costco although my local one now uses a tech in-person with the doc on Zoom or similar so I may not go back. Inexpensive exam, got the prescription, generally went on-line and used Zenni for glasses.

Insurance to cover exams is a simple cost/benefit decision.

Insurance to cover frames and lenses is IMO no longer necessary because of the presence of internet sources like Zenni. I haven't bought glasses at a Dr's office in decades. Ditto the LensCrafters, Sunglass Hut, Pearle Vision, Target Optical stores. All of these are owned by Luxottica and are egregious ripoffs. It is a mystery to me why some enterprising state attorney general has not gone after the Luxottica monopoly.

I know that, just like dental insurance, it doesn't make sense for me. It's cheaper to pay for the appointments out of pocket and order glasses online. YMMV and a few past years worth of receipts should make the decision pretty clear.

We just go to Costco.

I've stuck with it as I wear expensive contact lenses and the plan pays $200 towards the cost each year, which is basically what the premium is. I get the exam free and other discounts. Don't save a lot but it seems worth it.

In my opinion, no. I have an annual eye exam that cost me $79. Usually my eye don't change enough to justify getting a new prescription but since it had been many years since I had new glasses and the Transitions coating was starting to get blotchy, I decided to get new glasses... cost for new memory metal frames with progressive lenses and Transitions coating was $448 at BJ's Optical and they will probably last me 5 years.

So my total cost is less than $200/year; why would I need vision insurance?

Would something like cataract surgery be covered by vision or medical insurance?

The eye doc I went to last time was not even selling glasses or contacts. Does the exam gives you prescription. Then I ordered contacts from Lens.com and glasses from Zenni. Bifocals were $58, skipped the fancy coatings and all that.

Would something like cataract surgery be covered by vision or medical insurance?

The eye doc I went to last time was not even selling glasses or contacts. Does the exam gives you prescription. Then I ordered contacts from Lens.com and glasses from Zenni. Bifocals were $58, skipped the fancy coatings and all that.

That's medical I expect.

The vision insurance makes little sense. My ACA policy provides a discount on vision exams and lenses. Maybe yours does too.

But you can go broke insuring small expenses.

We do not purchase stand alone dental or vision.

I buy my retiree vision insurance every few years when I want to get new glasses. Because my lenses have a high prescription, they can run more than $300 alone. With the insurance, I pay less than that total, including the frames and exam.

I change prescriptions about every two years. Last time she said my vision had changed so little that the glasses I had would still be fine as spares. As long as my presbyopia (ten-dollar word for "old eyes") changes that slowly I figure an exam every couple of years is good- another reason not to buy insurance.

Retail prices for glasses is a scam (Not really a scam, but close). Order glasses online. zenni.com & others.

I recently got new glasses and looked at Zenni. DW has ordered from Zenni in the past.

I also looked at Sam's Club and BJ's which we are both members of. We ended going with BJ's. BJ's was less than Sam's CLub but more than Zenni, but I wanted somewhere that I could go if we had issues with the glasses so I was willing to pay more for that peace of mind.

Maybe it was just the plan my employer offered but I thought it was a scam even while employed. Medical insurance covers all glaucoma checks, etc.

The non sponsored vision insurance plans that are offered through the ACA website and other sources are not as good as my employee plan coverage was even though I purchased from the same company. When I was working, Eyemed covered my $800(at the time) medically necessary RGP contact lenses and all I had to pay was $25. On the individual plan they only gave me two hundred dollars towards the total cost which was disappointing but better than nothing. In researching the plan before purchase I called the Eyemed rep and the bottom line is they don't offer the employer plans to individuals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom