does this make any sense to you?

I always read that opiods give an intense feeling of euphoria, but having been through 4 surgeries (part of the same illness treatment in 2013), 2 being major and 2 being minor, I never experienced that.

For a day or two after coming out of the operating room, I was given Dilaudid (hydromorphone) intravenously, switching to oral Oxycodone for the remaining stay and given 60 pills after each major surgery for home use. Never felt any euphoria. I did feel the pain if I did not have the drug.

I was afraid of getting addicted, so tried not to take any during home recovery. The pain was bad, so I took some, and had 1/2 the pills unused.

And reading about this in the media, I always wonder what's there to be addicted to. Is that feeling of euphoria something that depends on the person's physiology somehow? Or is it because the dosage was not high?

Not that I want to find out, or want to experiment, but I have always been curious how people get addicted.

PS. It may be the same as with alcohol. Many drunks get violent. When I got drunk, I just wanted to go to sleep. Not everybody feels the same with a substance.

I had major surgery as well and was prescribed oxycodone after leaving the hospital. I took one pill and the effect was as if my head was unscrewing from my neck...needless to say, I took Tylenol and only when the pain was bad. The rest of the time I endured. I have a higher pain threshold thank god...that oxycodone still sits in the bottle, 9 years later...

I had a situation a few years ago. I was 3000 miles from home (SFO) and had an attack of gout. I needed my doc back home to just send an Rx to the local CVS. I called and explained the situation.

The front desk said: "Oh no. He needs to see you; he can't prescribe without seeing you".

I explained that after 30 years of gout I knew what I had and knew what I needed and that I was in SFO. I was met with "We don't allow patients to self-prescribe...he needs to see you first".
When I got back home, the doc was furious with the front desk, mentioning to me what I already knew: "Bunch of (w)itches!"

But what happened next was even more interesting:
My five star hotel sent me to 'their' in-house doc. When I got there, there were pictures of him with all these Hollywood stars. He had to get out a book and look up what to prescribe for gout. He then asked me if that sounded right. Then....."ok, now (ahem)....is there anything else you need?" wink, wink.
I think I was his first legit patient in a long time. Dr Feelgood!
Wow!!!

Back
Top Bottom