Does this make us bad people?

The article does explain the killing of the toads.

What is curious is that if the toads are such are great threat (I'm not doubting it), why has the Australian gov't. only spent $20M in dealing with the problem?
From the article:

Many Australian cities have simply thrown in the towel on the cane toad fight. After scientists discovered toads that had been breeding in Sydney, a federal government report concluded that "the eradication of cane toads is not currently possible."

"I think the scientific consensus is that we can't stop the toads from spreading, but we can do all kinds of things to reduce their densities and their impact," said biologist and cane toad expert Richard Shine of the University of Sydney.

From the article:

Many Australian cities have simply thrown in the towel on the cane toad fight. After scientists discovered toads that had been breeding in Sydney, a federal government report concluded that "the eradication of cane toads is not currently possible."

"I think the scientific consensus is that we can't stop the toads from spreading, but we can do all kinds of things to reduce their densities and their impact," said biologist and cane toad expert Richard Shine of the University of Sydney.
It's fairly simple. Give every 10 to 12 year old boy a BB gun and offer them a 25 cent per toad bounty. The govt can set aside money to pay for any broken windows.

The cane toad population should be significantly reduced in about 3 months.

Australia has a massive problem with feral cats. Feral cats in general kill billions of birds/ground nesting birds every year. Ive seen hunting magazines in oz where people are holding up dead cats. Guess you're allowed to shoot as many as you want.

In the states we view them as cuddly pets...there they are vicious animals that are out of control...they carry disease and again...kill tons of other animals...to the point where birds are going extinct.

Australia has a massive problem with feral cats. Feral cats in general kill billions of birds/ground nesting birds every year. Ive seen hunting magazines in oz where people are holding up dead cats. Guess you're allowed to shoot as many as you want.

In the states we view them as cuddly pets...there they are vicious animals that are out of control...they carry disease and again...kill tons of other animals...to the point where birds are going extinct.
They are every bit as destructive in the states in rural and semi-rural areas.

Killing any animal in the act of coitus just seem wrong on so many levels. Poor grasshoppers don't know if they are coming or going.

+1, though I know you were probably making a joke.

I understand if an insect infestation needs to be controlled, but I cannot relate to taking pleasure in the killing, or making a game out of it. I find that rather odd.

My point exactly. They are feral and poisonous to other animals. They eat native frog spawn and are a big problem here. Every school boy and girl knows about the problem and are happy to do their bit for their country. "kill the cane toad"...

Another accidental import causing problems is the fire ant. No such thing until about 15 years ago. Despite our best efforts, I believe the ants are winning the war.

Varroa mites are not here yet, but when they arrive on our shores, our beekeeping industry is going to be in as bad a state as yours.

.............Another accidental import causing problems is the fire ant. No such thing until about 15 years ago. Despite our best efforts, I believe the ants are winning the war. ..............

I'm pretty sure Texas is exporting them to Australia to reduce their own population.

Train the cats to get the rats!

The free viewing of this film expires 3-12-18. http://watch.ksmq.org/video/3009083957/

There are some stark revelations that explain a lot about the history of various neighborhoods in the subject city.

Last edited:
We all kill critters some of the time, either off-handedly by swatting a bug, indirectly through our dining choices, or very purposefully in performing our job duties. I've done all three, but never get any kind of pleasure out of killing. I won't judge others, but for myself I've always felt a bit creepy when I find myself enjoying ending anything's life.

+1, though I know you were probably making a joke.

I understand if an insect infestation needs to be controlled, but I cannot relate to taking pleasure in the killing, or making a game out of it. I find that rather odd.
At the very least.

It's fairly simple. Give every 10 to 12 year old boy a BB gun and offer them a 25 cent per toad bounty. The govt can set aside money to pay for any broken windows.

The cane toad population should be significantly reduced in about 3 months.

Or smarter 10-12 year olds (why just boys?) could breed toads on the side to gain a continuing revenue source and thus make things worse.

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_effect

Cane toads, grasshoppers, rats, cobras, pythons, Asian carp, Zebra mussels... Invasive species everywhere...

Will somebody make sure that there will not be any of those riding in future spaceships going to Mars?

Last edited:
Cane toads native to Texas. Add that to the list of reasons to not move there.

Last edited:
YouTube it with a gopro ... and make some $$ from the hits :)

Cane toads native to Texas. Add that to the list of reasons to not move there.

Only in a few counties on the southernmost section of the border.

They don’t extend north of the Rio grande river area.

It is a bit of a shock to see one as large as a dinner plate.

Back
Top Bottom