Driving has suddenly turned punishing

Out of Steam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We're just a few months into retirement, having moved away from our old home this year. I've always been comfortable with long-distance driving (up to 500 miles one-way), and we have taken several road trips this fall.

This week's trip was just punishing, even though we were less than 300 miles from home. Weather and traffic were both OK. Having moved away from the Northeast Corridor, highway speeds are much faster on trips to the south, often over 75 mph. Both road noise and ride quality (too soft/floaty) were issues, and I ended up limiting my speed to about 70 mph. The only vehicles I passed were box trucks and boat trailers.

My current car is a 2015 Subaru Legacy with just over 120K miles; the tires have about 40K, and look like they could go another 20-25K. I've never loved the ride, but found it well-suited to my old commute, and had planned to keep it about two more years. Our adult daughter has always found this Subaru quease-inducing.

I certainly didn't plan to buy a car in my first year of retirement, and am concerned that a more comfortable replacement would be $30K plus, even a couple of years old. I'm not sure I like our current car enough to spend money on tire/strut/suspension changes for comfort reasons. Renting a newer/quieter, perhaps luxury, vehicle for our next road trip seems like a reasonable thing to try.

Though I'm not really sure it's a car issue, perhaps it's anxiety or environmental sensitivity instead. I rejected an otherwise-suitable house during our pre-move search because of a low hum from an industrial area not far away, which my wife didn't notice at all.

Has anyone else had a sudden change in attitude towards driving at retirement? Or am I feeling an entry in the Blow that Dough thread coming on?

hop on a subaru forum and see if there are little things you can do to eliminate road noise

i've had several subies over the last 20 years or so and one thing that's an easy fix is to put some fish tank air tubing just under the lip of the driver and passenger door weatherstrip - it eliminates most of the air noise at hwy speeds

just remember this is a subaru, not an audi

Has anyone else had a sudden change in attitude towards driving at retirement?

To go on trips we used to drive to Toronto and long term park near the airport.

Then we started taking the bus in and back. Now we take the train, and wouldn't change it.

Locally, or semi-locally we still drive, because it's basically the only way.

(I do, however, 31 years later, still drive as if I'm in Riyadh...using the acquired philosophy that everyone else on the road is trying to kill me.)

Some tires get noisy as they get older. My last set of Dunlops did that (for example).

I think the right new tires might help with both problems (noise and handling). I'd investigate that before considering buying another car. You could talk to the folks at tirerack.com for tire recommendations given your issues.

I drive a Subaru Legacy for my work sometimes, and am appalled at the sound of the door when I close it....it sounds like a tin can with no insulation. I have noticed even on short 30 mile trips, that it seems loud, and the boxster engine can also be loud if the exhaust isn't perfect. This can all start wearing on the nerves after awhile, especially if you are dealing with fast speeds, and heavy traffic.

You can definitely rent a different car to see if the problem is with your Subaru. I have a Honda Accord V6 and if the back windows are not closed tightly, I feel some vibration when I drive and it is quite annoying, so what Big Hitter said about the weather stip may be something to look into also.

Some tires get noisy as they get older. My last set of Dunlops did that (for example).

I think the right new tires might help with both problems (noise and handling). I'd investigate that before considering buying another car. You could talk to the folks at tirerack.com for tire recommendations given your issues.

+1

As the tread wears on tires road noise increases, sometimes markedly. I recently replaced tires on my car and looked closely at noise ratings. Consumer Reports and others offer information on the noise level of a particular brand/tread pattern.

To go on trips we used to drive to Toronto and long term park near the airport.

Then we started taking the bus in and back. Now we take the train, and wouldn't change it.

Locally, or semi-locally we still drive, because it's basically the only way.

My attitude towards driving is definitely changing, especially living in a place where every third vehicle is a full-sized pickup or SUV.

I drive a Subaru Legacy for my work sometimes, and am appalled at the sound of the door when I close it....it sounds like a tin can with no insulation. I have noticed even on short 30 mile trips, that it seems loud, and the boxster engine can also be loud if the exhaust isn't perfect. This can all start wearing on the nerves after awhile, especially if you are dealing with fast speeds, and heavy traffic.

Lest anyone think the Subaru has a Porsche engine, the term is "boxer engine" and not boxster.

Reactions: jj
hop on a subaru forum and see if there are little things you can do to eliminate road noise

i've had several subies over the last 20 years or so and one thing that's an easy fix is to put some fish tank air tubing just under the lip of the driver and passenger door weatherstrip - it eliminates most of the air noise at hwy speeds

just remember this is a subaru, not an audi

It doesn't seem like wind or air leak noise, more like tires or exhaust. Though, the car passed both state inspection and a dealer check-up in September.

We've only owned one luxury-brand vehicle, a Volvo, but I'm thinking that is the kind of vehicle I might need for a quieter, more comfortable ride.

It doesn't seem like wind or air leak noise, more like tires or exhaust. Though, the car passed both state inspection and a dealer check-up in September.

We've only owned one luxury-brand vehicle, a Volvo, but I'm thinking that is the kind of vehicle I might need for a quieter, more comfortable ride.

I used to drive Buicks and they have a very quiet ride. My truck and suv are both Chevy’s. A quiet car does make a big difference. I would try renting a nice car and see how you like the difference. If you’re going to travel (drive) a lot, you might as well get a nice car sooner than later. No point in waiting until you’re too old to car travel before you get the right car.

I love my 2019 Impala, regular trips to LA no problem. Old Taurus used to give me some back pain. Not anymore.

Blow the dough!

At 120K miles you may be due for a new set of shocks. That could alleviate the floaty feeling.

A few years ago my Miata was riding roughly, more than usual. I don't remember the full symptoms, but it sounded kind of like yours. My mechanic suggested new tires, because while the tread was good, they were about 8 years old (I don't put that many miles on that car). That did the trick. Much better ride on new tires. Before you do anything too extreme, consider new tires.

I try to limit driving after 10pm, otherwise everything is the same. I love to drive in general.

At 120K miles you may be due for a new set of shocks. That could alleviate the floaty feeling.
I suspect this is part of the issue, but by the time I'm finished with tires, struts, and a heavier rear stabilizer bar (recommended on Subaru forums), I'm in for about $2K. Not sure I like the car enough to spend that, especially when I haven't been thinking of it as a long-term vehicle.

I try to limit driving after 10pm, otherwise everything is the same. I love to drive in general.
I've always liked to drive, but as someone who sleeps more hours than the average person, I've limited myself to short trips after 11pm for many years.

You can definitely rent a different car to see if the problem is with your Subaru. I have a Honda Accord V6 and if the back windows are not closed tightly, I feel some vibration when I drive and it is quite annoying, so what Big Hitter said about the weather stip may be something to look into also.

+1

It's simplest to drive a new and good rental car to see if the problem is with the driver or the car. If it is the car, the problem is easily fixed by spending some money. You cannot take it with you.

Once or twice a year I will drive the round trip from the Bay Area to Phoenix. 11.5 to 12 hours each way with gas stops and bathroom breaks. I find the Lexus RX to be the the most comfortable vehicle for that trip by far. Quieter, softer seats, and better ride. The Honda wins on mileage by far, but a more comfortable trip is worth the extra gas money.

We gave up long distance driving after being retired about 15 years. DH want stand for it anymore even though I do all the driving, LOL.

Well, we might take a few not so long road trips if we ever get a new car which we’ve been meaning to buy the last three years!

Back
Top Bottom