Dryuary

No, no, hell no !!

Fine (by my reckoning) spirits, wine and beer are one of lifes great little pleasures. Cut back, sure. Give it up ? No.

As one of my favourite sayings goes:

Fermentation is a miracle of nature.
Distillation is a miracle of science.
Better living through Science !

Fine (by my reckoning) spirits, wine and beer are one of lifes great little pleasures. Cut back, sure. Give it up ? No.

+1

I'm solidly in the camp of enjoying a couple glasses of good wine with dinner a few nights a week. I don't feel any need to give that up for a whole month, as if it were some sort of problem I'm trying to solve.

Again, this is not an alcoholism cure. For that I'd recomended to quit drinking for the day, not a month.
A third of the way through and my waist is about an inch smaller. As my favorite beers are close to 250 calories each I was expecting to lose weight, but this is more a reduction in bloat. Weight has dropped to the pre holidays level.
I have not had better sleep. That could be due to the head cold that I caught on the third though.
Some have said I should expect my skin to look healthier, but I haven't noticed a difference.
Still dropping by the local bars to see my friends and weekly trivia contest, keeping my social life on keel.

Hey, GS, I'm encouraged by your report about your waist. I haven't noticed anything other than going back to normal after a few days of visiting relatives who had LOTS of caloric snacks readily available (I can sort of resist candy, but not potato chips and salted nuts). Maybe you could use this thread for an update towards the end of the month. If I keep abstaining, I'll report too.

I was drinking mostly wine during my adult years. When I was in Germany as a young man, I drank enough German beer to max my lifetime allotment :blush:.

About 10 years ago @ 65 years old, I just gave up all alcohol drinks and haven't had any since.

I guess I could say that I have no more vices left (quit smoking at 30, alcohol at 65, chasing single women at 54)....LOL

Apparently, I'm not much fun anymore. :D

I was drinking mostly wine during my adult years. When I was in Germany as a young man, I drank enough German beer to max my lifetime allotment :blush:.

About 10 years ago @ 65 years old, I just gave up all alcohol drinks and haven't had any since.

I guess I could say that I have no more vices left (quit smoking at 30, alcohol at 65, chasing single women at 54)....LOL

So maybe chasing MARRIED women is more fun?:D

I don't feel any need to give that up for a whole month, as if it were some sort of problem I'm trying to solve.

Also don't feel like I drink enough (perhaps 4 or 5 beers a week) to need to dry out.

Alcohol is also relatively expensive, so that was starting to add up also.

If you haven't already tried it, Aldi carries an amazingly good line of wines called Winking Owl that go for (not kidding!) $2.99 a bottle.

Surprisingly, it's better (IMHO) than many of the $10-15/bottle wines we buy at Kroger.

Definitely helped my wine budget when we found these..

Take up muzzleloader shooting. When you touch off 100 grains of the holy black at the range all the other people on the rifle line will think it is a vice, what with the Civil War Battle smoke cloud and the accompanying smell of rotten eggs.

No, no, hell no !!

As one of my favourite sayings goes:

Fermentation is a miracle of nature.
Distillation is a miracle of science.
Better living through Science !

Yeah, No Nut November, Dryuary, etc. What else will they try convincing us to forego? Sh**less September?

Thanks, you all go dry. More for me.

Now drinking a crum & coke. Half Crown Royale, half Bacardi and a whole of Coke.

Thanks, you all go dry. More for me.

Please, help yourself to my share! :LOL: Have another!

Let's see... Other than one small obligatory sip seventeen years ago (when F's father insisted on buying me a glass of wine at dinner, which I did not actually drink), I have not had an alcoholic drink in 20 years. So, 20 years without drinking alcoholic beverages.

I have no idea what alcoholic beverages cost any more, but as a wild guess, let's say that saved me $100/week.

$100 x (52 weeks/year) x 20 years = $104,000 I have saved by not buying booze. Oh wait, that can't be right....... ?

Please, help yourself to my share! :LOL: Have another!

Let's see... Other than one small obligatory sip seventeen years ago (when F's father insisted on buying me a glass of wine at dinner, which I did not actually drink), I have not had an alcoholic drink in 20 years. So, 20 years without drinking alcoholic beverages.

I have no idea what alcoholic beverages cost any more, but as a wild guess, let's say that saved me $100/week.

$100 x (52 weeks/year) x 20 years = $104,000 I have saved by not buying booze. Oh wait, that can't be right....... ?

If you order drinks in a bar or restaurant, could easily be that much. I think homebrew still runs me like 50 cents a pint. If I could legally run a still, my costs would be even lower.

If you order drinks in a bar or restaurant, could easily be that much. I think homebrew still runs me like 50 cents a pint. If I could legally run a still, my costs would be even lower.

Still, think of all the guns and other hunting and camping equipment you could buy with that money! :D

Take up muzzleloader shooting. When you touch off 100 grains of the holy black at the range all the other people on the rifle line will think it is a vice, what with the Civil War Battle smoke cloud and the accompanying smell of rotten eggs.

I may try it as a friend has a muzzleloader and invited me last week to go to the range with him. :cool:

I may try it as a friend has a muzzleloader and invited me last week to go to the range with him. :cool:

They are lots of fun, you should try it. If it is a percussion or flint lock you will likely get outright stares.

Not a rum fan, but I got a bottle of Crown and a bottle of 12 year old Pendeltons Rye as Christmas presents to look forward too.
Now drinking a crum & coke. Half Crown Royale, half Bacardi and a whole of Coke.

Not a rum fan, ...

Neither was I until a few years ago. I was more a bourbon only man (natch) and then a friend got me into premium dark rums.

You might want to give one a try. Light years better than the generic bar swill people tend to associate rum with. Complex flavors and very smooth.

Flor de Cana, El Dorado even a Goslings are all good (cheapish) places to start.

Cheers.

I really like Kill Devil Hills Rum from North Carolina. They make a Silver, Gold, and a Pecans and Honey. They gave the pecans away the last time I was there, perhaps they sell them now, they were great in a coffee cake!

Dryuary was a 10 Day month for us. Too many carefully-chosen beautiful wines in the house and calling to us.[emoji274]

Back
Top Bottom