Economist - The Comeback Kid

Auntie Sam?

Hard to give credibility to an article that can't spell "annualized" correctly:

"..growth probably slipped below an annualised 2% in the first half of this year.."

Umm... Both forms are OK, though the "z" version appears more popular in the US.

I still cannot get over the pasties.

Interesting article, Chuckanut - thanks for sharing. I tend to agree that we aren't as bad off as we think, and that dealing with public infrastructure is going to be critical in the next decades.

Thanks for sharing.

The article linked to in the 2nd paragraph is worth reading too.

In both articles, they point out the risks. One is that these new industries make tremendous profits, pay their workers very well, but employ only a few highly skilled ones. So they don't help a lot with unemployment and add to the wealth inequality.

Enjoyed the article thanks for sharing. And if (when?) America does what The Economist suggests (below), I'm optimistic too, we'll see...
What should the next president do to generate muscle in this new economy? First, do no harm. Not driving the economy over the fiscal cliff would be a start: instead, settle on a credible long-term deficit plan that includes both tax rises and cuts to entitlement programmes. There are other madnesses brewing. Some Democrats want to restrict exports of natural gas to hold down the price for domestic consumers—a brilliant strategy to discourage domestic investment and production. A braver Mr Obama would expedite approval of gas exports. For his part, Mr Romney should back off his promise to brand China a currency manipulator, an invitation to a trade war.

Second, the next president should fix America’s ramshackle public services. Even the most productive start-ups cannot help an economy held back by dilapidated roads, the world’s most expensive health system, underachieving union-dominated schools and a Byzantine immigration system that deprives companies of the world’s best talent. Focus on those things, Mr Obama and Mr Romney, and you will be surprised what America’s private sector can do for itself.

I also appreciate any article that is linked.

It is valid nevertheless to critique these articles. A similar article might have been written in 350 CE about the Roman Empire- if it stops being governed by psychotics, if its own citizens fight some of their wars instead of mercenaries, if there were not a constant need for more territory to give more food and more conquests to do the work that citizens were no longer capable or willing to do, if there were no powerful barbarians in the North who were getting more powerful all the time, if...-

Ha

The Economist special on the US was interesting and reminds us of our strengths.

Many countries have overcome more difficult obstacles. The problems facing the US are mostly domestic and man-made, so we neither need the help of others nor rocket scientists to address them. As the song said, we are all prisoners of our own device.

Oh man! Need more of them rich snowbirds to come down and buy our unused and overbuilt houses.

Oh man! Need more of them rich snowbirds to come down and buy our unused and overbuilt houses.

I am a little surprised that we don't see more Europeans and Canadians descending en masse to the US of A. Fairly decent housing in many lower or moderate cost areas can be purchased for around $100k USD or a little more. And from what I have seen, food, gas, electronics, etc are generally more reasonably priced here vs. Europe.

I would suspect the perceptions of the US might keep some out, as would the financial burden of health care here in the US. And not sure about immigration and visa opportunities for our friends to the north and east over the pond.

The problems facing the US are mostly domestic and man-made . . .
I think that's why the problems are proving intractable. We've shown ourselves to be pretty good at meeting external challenges and those posed by nature--it's easy to muster the needed national will to fix things imposed on us from outside. But if the problems are internal, and especially if they are a by-product of the same processes that have served us well in other circumstances--that's a tougher nut. I'm optimistic, but I still don't see the needed homeostatic mechanism that normally lurks in the offing to help us out.

Last edited:
Because of the high cost of healthcare here, I doubt that retirees from other countries would want to emigrate permanently to the US. But for snowbirds from Canada or Europe, the expensive healthcare in the US would be a problem only if they succumb to a sudden and serious illness that keeps them from catching a quick flight back home. There might even be some insurance policies that would cover an emergency evacuation back home for them.

So, I guess it may be just some political perceptions of the US that might scare them from coming here to partake in the cheap housing market, wonderful winter climate in some areas, and the lower cost of living. To those people, I say "Come on over. It's safe".

I don't know about Europeans but no doubt well off people from Brazil, Mexico and other Latin American countries have not hesitated to take advantage of the housing decline to buy property in NY and South Florida. They aren't migrating, just buying second homes or condos, and to them the US is a fantastic, and very safe, place to invest their money.

There we go. Spread the word. US homes are cheap! Food and booze too. Buy, buy, buy...

I believe Canadians in most provinces have to reside in Canada 6 months of the year to maintain their benefits. That's why they haven't moved to the US year round but rather snowbird.

A and believe me we get quite an influx down here in the winter!

I believe Canadians in most provinces have to reside in Canada 6 months of the year to maintain their benefits. That's why they haven't moved to the US year round but rather snowbird.

A and believe me we get quite an influx down here in the winter!

Yes that is correct although not policed. The real problem is on the receiving end: ie if you reside in tne US for too long (somewhere beyween 121 and 183days) you are deemed to be a US resident for tax purposes. Owning US real estate also exposes you to US Estate taxes which don't exist in Canada. All in all, Canadians view the US as a nice place to visit but....... Incidently, the costs in the US are very low for housing, food, liquor, eating out, services like pool, etc. They are very high for property taxes, electicity, water, sewage,etc. All in all it is really about the weather.

Back
Top Bottom