Economist - The Comeback Kid

Very high? I thought our RE taxes and utility bills weren't bad at all, but then I have never lived in Canada to know for comparison.

Oh well, if nothing else, maybe we still have the weather. But down in this "dry heat" part of the US, it's only 7 or 8 months out of the year anyway. May still be good for winter visitors.

Last edited:
Very high? I thought our RE taxes and utility bills weren't bad at all, but then I have never lived in Canada to know for comparison.

Oh well, if nothing else, maybe we still have the weather. But down in this "dry heat" part of the US, it's only 7 or 8 months out of the year anyway. May still be good for winter visitors.

i think Arizona might be high for utilities versus other parts of the US. Energy costs in Alberta(my base comparison) are very low. Ironically petrol is cheaper in US vs Canada. Property taxes in Arizona are about double what I pay in Alberta while the Arizona house is maybe worth 1.5 times the Alberta house. A lot nicer house in Arizona for sure.

LakeTravis said:
Hard to give credibility to an article that can't spell "annualized" correctly:

"..growth probably slipped below an annualised 2% in the first half of this year.."

It's the way the rest of the world spells it. You know we always have to be different. After all we are the US. BTW, the Economist is one of the most if not the best business publication. Don't knock it just because you didn't know it's published in Britain and uses the European spelling.

i think Arizona might be high for utilities versus other parts of the US. Energy costs in Alberta(my base comparison) are very low. Ironically petrol is cheaper in US vs Canada. Property taxes in Arizona are about double what I pay in Alberta while the Arizona house is maybe worth 1.5 times the Alberta house. A lot nicer house in Arizona for sure.

And I thought our RE taxes were low compared to what people in "New Joisey" had to pay. And I had been complaining about the electric cost for cooling with an AC until I saw what some posters paid for heating a smaller house in the North East.

Canadians outpace all other foreign buyers in U.S. real estate market - The Globe and Mail

Many Canadians have invested in US real estate since the crash (Danmar included), but given the difference in the relative populations of our two countries it would take more than that to drive a macroeconomic shift in the US economy.

Every little bit helps. And I think rich Canucks should buy not one house in the US, but two.

Last edited:
And I think rich Canucks should buy not one house in the US, but two.

And there should be an incremental tax for rich Canucks to ensure that the costs of having them as guests in our country are fully covered...... ;)

What additional costs? They go back home for health care.

Are you saying that we should [-]gouge them[/-] charge them the same price for gasoline, food, and booze as they pay at home? I still cannot get over the price tag of $2.99 for an avocado I saw in a grocery store in Banff.

Hmm... Something to think about, since they are used to high prices already. Wait! Some of our far-thinking lawmakers may be mulling this idea already.

Last edited:
When we are down in Arizona, we try to hide the fact we are Canadians ( just kidding) so you won't charge us more. Saying eh gives us away every time. You got me when I registered my car though -$750 per year!!! Insurance costs are higher too but that may be because I didn't have a US credit rating.

I do not know if we charge foreigners extra for vehicle registration. However, for us the fee has two parts: an amount that is a percentage of the approximate vehicle value, and a second much lower amount that is the same for all vehicles of the same type.

So, as your vehicle is likely a late and expensive model, you will be charged more. They depreciate the value of the vehicles annually according to some schedules. As I keep my vehicles for 10+ years, my licensing fees eventually get dirt cheap.

Regarding the credit rating, it is a shame that US insurance companies do not have access to Canadian ratings. Most likely, they do not care and just want an excuse to charge more.

When I was up in Calgary, I had to bring a tire off my toad (car towed behind motor home) to a Canadian Tire store to fix a puncture. The clerk at the counter asked me for my phone number. I said, "Umm... I am from out of town". The clerk insisted, so I gave it to him. He typed it in, then said, "Mr. NW-Bound?". So, they know all about us up there!

When I got home, I received a letter from them thanking me for the business, and included a form for me to give feedback on their service. Now, I got even more impressed.

Last edited:
Yes that is correct although not policed. The real problem is on the receiving end: ie if you reside in tne US for too long (somewhere beyween 121 and 183days) you are deemed to be a US resident for tax purposes. Owning US real estate also exposes you to US Estate taxes which don't exist in Canada. All in all, Canadians view the US as a nice place to visit but....... Incidently, the costs in the US are very low for housing, food, liquor, eating out, services like pool, etc. They are very high for property taxes, electicity, water, sewage,etc. All in all it is really about the weather.
Interesting that it's not policed. Several folks I know are super careful with their calendar dates, so they act like it's well policed. They do own property here, however. There is no rule in Texas about becoming a resident based on # of days present in the state - it's only based on employment or establishing residency by getting your driver's license, etc. So maybe Canadians don't have to worry about those things in TX.

As long as you keep paying Canadian taxes they don't care too much where you spend your time. The number of days is a federal US rule not state in relation to non-resident aliens(our official descriptor) it is a very important rule and Canadians are generally careful not to run afoul. it uses 3 years worth of data to determine US residency. I guess state residency might be a secondary issue.
NW. Yes I am aware of how they determine the fee. No difference for non US residents. The auto in question was expensive when bought but it is now 5 years old. In Alberta it cost about $70 per year.

Last edited:
They charge owners of expensive cars more, simply because the owners can "afford" it.

See, even a "red state" like Arizona knows how to "sock it to the rich". Just think what you would have to pay if you brought down your car when it was new.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom