Equifax data breach settlement

DW and I were both impacted by the breach. Our credit has been frozen for a long time and we already have monitoring from a prior breach. So I guess we'll take the $125 each. I could probably get creative and document some time spent, but not going to bother.

Filing the claim was super easy. I just did claims for DW and myself in about 5 minutes. No documentation required for the $125. COcheesehead was confused.

What is anybody doing about elderly parents? I put in dad's ssn info and he was impacted. Brother is POA and I handle taxes and investments. I think it would be wise to request the credit monitoring since he currently does not have any credit cards and is in assisted living.

I wonder if one can claim for deceased parents? After all, they could have been affected, and maybe their earthly identity still could be a victim of identify theft?

I've heard of dead people voting, so anything can happen, right? (update - it actually says my [deceased earlier this year] MIL is eligible, not sure I want to go through with this for $125 though, and I don't really know if she had any credit monitoring in place, so I'll pass I guess)

And THANKS to MichaelB for this, DW was eligible, and I emailed the link to our kids. DW was under some kind of credit monitoring for some other data breach, so I followed directions for the $125, was not confused, but a little surprised. Was expecting the typical $1.73 or 20% discount on future services (that I would not buy anyhow).

-ERD50

Last edited:
DW and I were both impacted by the breach. Our credit has been frozen for a long time and we already have monitoring from a prior breach. So I guess we'll take the $125 each. I could probably get creative and document some time spent, but not going to bother.

Filing the claim was super easy. I just did claims for DW and myself in about 5 minutes. No documentation required for the $125. COcheesehead was confused.
Certainly not the first time that’s happened :LOL:

And THANKS to MichaelB for this, DW was eligible, and I emailed the link to our kids. DW was under some kind of credit monitoring for some other data breach, so I followed directions for the $125, was not confused, but a little surprised. Was expecting the typical $1.73 or 20% discount on future services (that I would not buy anyhow).

-ERD50

I also filed a claim but based on past experience I'm not expecting to see any $ anytime soon. Case in point, remember this from a couple of years ago?

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...suit-potential-300-per-call-payout-88090.html

Still waiting to see a penny. Latest status update here: https://www.rmgtcpasettlement.com/Home.aspx

Last edited:
I took the $125 option. You do not have to provide any documents, just as long as you qualified when you entered your 6 digit ssn and last name.

Same here. DW and I were both affected, so we should get $125 each. I'm not happy about the data breach, but at least we get something in return for what Equifax did.

I've lost count of the number of times my data has been compromised over the years. I will take happily take the $125 (DW as well). Only took 5 minutes to file electronically.

If I recall correctly, Option 1 (the no documentation option) was actually two options. Option 1a was credit monitoring for 3 years + 6 years (opt-in). Option 1b was "I already have credit monitoring, send me $125". No documentation needed.

Documentation was needed for Options 2 and 3 where one would claim to experience real financial loss.

Yup.

Both my wife and I will have $125 each coming our way with no additional documentation required.

I applied for the $125. I froze all my reports when it first happened and have some sort of free monitoring from several other breaches.

Free money! :dance:

I knew I could come to E-R.org to get the scoop on this!

The eligibility tool says that DH was not affected but that I was so I filed, asking for the cash. I have credit monitoring from some other incident. I didn't ask for any money for time or expenses, just the $125 cash.

It should be interesting to see if we really do get a check and how long it takes. I think it said no payments will be made until Jan 2020. Or was that the deadline to file a claim?

Last edited:
Same for DW and me, each getting the $125 since we already have monitoring thanks to previous breaches and their monitoring.

DW and I are both affected, and we already have the OPM data breach site. But we went ahead and signed up for the continued monitoring because who knows what the future holds for the OPM site. We will take all the free data checking sites we can get, since our information is already wandering loosely around the interwebs.

Also, and FYI, here is a site that will check to see what other data breaches you have been in. From the site: "Who is behind Have I Been Pwned (HIBP)
I'm Troy Hunt, a Microsoft Regional Director and Most Valuable Professional awardee for Developer Security, blogger at troyhunt.com, international speaker on web security and the author of many top-rating security courses for web developers on Pluralsight.

I created HIBP as a free resource for anyone to quickly assess if they may have been put at risk due to an online account of theirs having been compromised or "pwned" in a data breach. I wanted to keep it dead simple to use and entirely free so that it could be of maximum benefit to the community
." https://haveibeenpwned.com/

DQOTD How do you know if you have free credit monitoring?
Well, I certainly don't think it is a dumb question (one guess why! :) ).

Next (possibly dumb) question - would they know if you/I have credit monitoring?

Uh? What? Did you sign up for a service that provides this? There are a couple ad based companies that have this, Credit Karma and Credit Sesame are two popular ones.

We were notified that we were victims of some breach, some years ago. I don't recall the details. They said they would give us free credit monitoring, so I took it. I don't know if I kept any records or anything. I'm assuming it is still in effect for DW.

So I have the same "dumb" question.

-ERD50

Well, I certainly don't think it is a dumb question (one guess why! :) ).

Next (possibly dumb) question - would they know if you/I have credit monitoring?

We were notified that we were victims of some breach, some years ago. I don't recall the details. They said they would give us free credit monitoring, so I took it. I don't know if I kept any records or anything. I'm assuming it is still in effect for DW.

So I have the same "dumb" question.

-ERD50

OK, that makes sense.

re victims of some breach, some years ago. I don't recall the details. They said they would give us free credit monitoring, so I took it. I don't know if I kept any records or anything. I'm assuming it is still in effect for DW.

-ERD50

Now that you mention it I recall the same facts. I have not received anything from equifax about that, ever. I imagine that the settlement will take precedence to any voluntary actions equifax originally did, but who knows.

I didn’t receive any notice from Equifax, I received a warning letter from AT&T about the Equifax breach. Wondered.....

DH had a credit card issued to hacker that used a previous address in May 2018. We contacted the issuer, filed a police report, and had his credit frozen or monitored for free. I do not recall if they said it was frozen or monitored or how long it would last, because I knew we were planning to freeze both of ours that fall when it became free for all. In October we froze our credit. Do you think he is eligible for the $125 or do I need to sign him up for credit monitoring?

ETA: I check both our FICO scores monthly. That is how I knew he go hacked in May. Does that qualify for credit monitoring?

Last edited:
My info and my daughter's came up as compromised. She doesn't have her own credit card. She's an authorized user of one of ours. We both filed for the $125 cash. I've had an account with Credit Karma for years. I had her sign up for one and then file. My husband's and son's info didn't come up as compromised.

I find it interesting that if you happen to be spending the year on a desert island and don't file for the money or the credit monitoring (or choose to opt out), you give up all rights to sue in the future and you get nothing.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/26/us/equifax-breach-settlement-questions-answered-trnd/index.html

If you don't do anything, you relinquish your right to sue Equifax in the future, and you give up on the $125 or 10 years of free credit monitoring provided by the settlement.
Your deadline to opt out is November 19, and your deadline to file a claim based on this settlement is January 22.

Perhaps this is standard operating procedure? I suppose that otherwise people would be coming out of the woodwork for decades to come.

Back
Top Bottom