Eurotop or hybrid mattress?

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Struggling to decide which might be more durable. The store says they are essentially same - same brand, same coil count. I am kind of biased against the Eurotop because I HATE my pillow top with a passion but store says it offers "more support" and it slightly more $. I did read all the mattress threads I could find but I am too risk adverse for a bed in a box and too cheap for a "better" bed.

Last edited:
I guess I can flip a coin. Going back to the store tomorrow. Typically don't choose furniture well so it won't be a great shock.

Mattresses are so personal it's really hard to say, but I did have a Eruo top once and I did not like it. I do however, like the pillow top.

What don't you like about your pillow top?
We had a pillow top Stearns and Foster, years ago, which I loved! It offered so much comfort.
Our current mattress is a Tempurpedic, even better for me, but it does sleep warm. We have looked at the new ones, which profess to sleep up to 8 degrees cooler. But not ready to buy yet.

I do understand that to really get the feel for a mattress, you need to lay on it for a good 20 minutes in the store. But that is really hard to do! I tried it the last time we "just looked". I felt funny after about 5 minutes. But, I vowed to DH that I will do that when we do look for a new mattress. You just can't get a good feel in a few minutes!

I have a close friend that has been in the mattress business for the last 25 years, and he has a franchise store selling most major brands. Let me just say he has a huge home, a house on the lake, and drives very expensive automobiles.

The mattress business is a very high profit margin business--to say the least. But mattresses are something every family has to have a few of. And they need to be replaced from time to time.

We inherited some old pillowtop Beautyrest mattresses that had never been slept on, and I really like them. My wife and my daughter prefer the Bed in a Box gel topped elastomeric mattresses. My wife's bed is on an adjustable Leggett & Platt (electric) bed frame. Bed in a Box is a great Tennessee company, and BASF foam they use is superior to all the Chinese foam used by most companies. And they're fairly priced.

And as had been said, choosing mattresses is a personal issue. I'm just not about to pay as much as mattress stores want for their "designer brand" mattresses.

Both!

I have a hybrid mattress from Helix, but took their luxe version which also has a pillow top built on top of all the hybrid layered stuff.

Well i went with the hybrid. I knew it would be overpriced so I asked them to do better and got $314 off (queen sized). And clearly you know they still making a profit. . . Curious how much really . . .

I didn't like the pillow top I have because mattress is so thick even deep pocket sheets are a challenge and it has no edge support. And sags terribly so I feel like i am sleeping in a hole. With a rock at the bottom. It about 5 years old but I been tired of it for 4 of them. The stores still have tons so I know they are pretty popular. I am average sized - which they informed me was between 120-230 lbs.

Last edited:
Well back to say I got the hybrid and hate it and exchanging it for a pillow top! I guess I am a flake but the hybrid is too hard. Different salesman today said not to get the Euro - not enough squish. I have a feeling it is because I am cheap though - a "better" hybrid is likely out of my price range.

Last edited:
Most mattress companies will give a 90 day return, sometimes it takes a while to "break in" a mattress, I have been told.
I think they should be like shoes, if they aren't comfortable immediately, don't buy as they never will be!

Hope you like the newer one better.

Most mattress companies will give a 90 day return, sometimes it takes a while to "break in" a mattress, I have been told.
I think they should be like shoes, if they aren't comfortable immediately, don't buy as they never will be!

Hope you like the newer one better.

+1

Yeah never knew I was so fussy! I guess old age = more sore body.

Back
Top Bottom