Examples of current inflation - add yours!

I picked up a corned beef brisket yesterday for St. Patrick's Day.
You know how chicken and turkey will have a "contains 10% solution of water, salt, blah blah" (brine)? Well... the really tiny print on this package of corned beef states it contains 35% ("THIRTY FREEKING FIVE PERCENT").

The cheaper off-brand soda I downshifted to has gone up 10% since last month.

Prepackaged sliced turkey sandwich "meat" (it's the pressed together left over bits) was $8.49 for 7 ounces... that's $19.40/lb!

Prepackaged sliced turkey sandwich "meat" (it's the pressed together left over bits) was $8.49 for 7 ounces... that's $19.40/lb!

The deli meat price is the reason I finally could justify a meat slicer. I got a whole Turkey post Christmas sale, roasted the turkey breasts, made the rest into ground turkey and it came out to $1.39/lb processed, took about an hour.

I never thought I'd be grinding/slicing but at these prices, yep.

Olive oil, the 2L jug I buy at Costco went from nineteen something, two months ago to twenty five.
Sheesh!
The avocado oil was still nineteen, so I bought that.
I'll be looking for a good quality cold pressed canola oil for cooking, yeah we live dangerously.

I remember buying a Guess denim jacket and matching jeans in 1992. I worked at a department store, and got a pretty good discount, but I remember the jacket was $90-something retail, and the pants were around $65. I was making $7.03/hr.
I bought a pair of Guess jeans back in that same time frame (early 90's) for $60 (I think that's before tax). Since they cost so much, I was particular about when I wore them, and I ended up outgrowing them (gained weight) while the jeans were still in like new condition. I actually still have them but couldn't even button them now.

WATERMELON!!!!!!
I about fell over yesterday.... Wasn't wanting one, but.... $10.... FOR HALF of one.....

Given that it is far from watermelon season and that they are heavy and need to be shipped, I'm not surprised.

Last edited:
My memory could be wrong, but I seem to remember watermelons being around $3.00 back in the early 80s. Or, about $9-10 in today's dollars (using 1982 as a start point). Supposedly, they're not all that easy to grow, either. My Granddad worked most of his career in farming, and continued to grow vegetables and such in retirement, and I can remember him saying two things were hard to grow...watermelons and strawberries. I think the problem with strawberries is you had to strike a very fine balance between keeping them watered, but not saturated. I dunno about the watermelon issue. I do remember him trying to grow them a few times, but not being all that successful. Less trouble to just buy them.

Just finishing a 30 ounce bottle of Suave shampoo - cost was $1.50 so picked up a new bottle of the same shampoo at Walmart today.

Got home, both say family size but the new one is only 22.5 ounces - the price is now $1.94 - so almost 30% more for 25% less shampoo!

Inflation and shrinkflation at the same time!

Watermelon is easy to grow in the right climate, needs a long, hot, dry growing season.

I grow watermelons in my garden. They do indeed take a long time to grow. They're usually among the last things I harvest before closing up the garden in the fall.

I grow watermelons in my garden. They do indeed take a long time to grow. They're usually among the last things I harvest before closing up the garden in the fall.

We managed to have 6 watermelons in our garden last year... We picked one for a gathering we go to..... about a week later, Deer picked the other 5.

We managed to have 6 watermelons in our garden last year... We picked one for a gathering we go to..... about a week later, Deer picked the other 5.

Sounds like my persimmon tree! My neighbor made a persimmon cake with cream cheese frosting and gave me two slices for providing the persimmons. I checked the next day or two and there's nothing but deer droppings under the tree!

I'm not sure I ever paid over $6 for a Watermelon, but it's been a few years.

So I was getting to the end of my 12-month promotional perios for Sirus XM radio. Have been paying $7.99/month for the last 12-months and it was going to go up to the regular rate of $25.36/month in 3 days.

Called in and I now have a new 12-month promotional rate that is $6.66/month.

So deflation, not inflation!

So I was getting to the end of my 12-month promotional perios for Sirus XM radio. Have been paying $7.99/month for the last 12-months and it was going to go up to the regular rate of $25.36/month in 3 days.

Yeah, but that number is a bit concerning though YMMV.:cool:

I'm going to cancel my promo plan when it expires next month.

In hopes of getting the "3 years for $99" deal sometimes available to lapsed subscribers.

I refilled a couple prescriptions yesterday and was surprised to see the price on each had jumped up, about $1.40 combined increase, for my out of pocket cost, which was over $9 total this time. The retail price on the prescriptions hadn't changed, so it had something to do with insurance coverage, although I'm on the same insurance. I suppose I can afford it, but it's just another example of costs rising.

Last edited:
I had the opposite. I picked up two prescriptions today that I expected to pay $11 or so for when I ordered them and when I picked them up there was no charge.

That happened me to with one particular prescription in 2021 when on Blue Cross through work. Started showing up free every month, yet another med wasn't free. That never happened again after work switched to United Healthcare. But at least my co-pays on my ACA Health Alliance are still lower than they were on United Healthcare through my past employer.

I keep getting offered $4/mo. for a year through email but haven't re-upped.

I forgot to cancel my XM last month, got a free 6 months when I bought the new Buick. I'll use their chat today and see if I can get a cheap discount. If not I'll just cancel. We don't spend enough time in our car to use it other than our 4 trips each year to our cabin.

I keep getting offered $4/mo. for a year through email but haven't re-upped.

That's what I received. $3.99/month for 12 months but with taxes and fees it totals $6.66... the taxes and fees are a bit outrageous but I listen enough that it is worth $6.66/month to me.

Especially handy during our long trips between Florida and Texas and Vermont... with regular radio we have to search for different channels because our travels are taking us out of the broadcast range of the channel we are listening to.

Package/PlanSubscription TermCharges
SiriusXM Music & Entertainment ($4.99/Month for 12 Months)03/12/2024 - 04/12/2024$4.99
SiriusXM Video (1 Month)Monthly Beginning 03/12/2024$0.00
U.S. Music Royalty Fee$1.07
State & Local Taxes$0.60
Total Charges$6.66

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom