Favorite solo Beatles songs

I just luv, luv, luv The Beatles. For all they did intentionally, incidentally, and accidentally for my generation's culture.

I just got tickets to see Ringo this summer :D

I'm sitting around waiting for a lawyer to call me (don't ask), so I can report on last weekend's Big Shew.

He's still on tour, so if it's swinging your way and there are tickets, Go Johnny Go!

Great band, all stars (that's why they're The All-Stars!). The ones I was most familiar with are Gregg Rolie (Santana keyboards) and Todd Rundgren. They did a few Santana classics: "Evil Ways", "Black Magic Woman", "Oye Como Va".

Ringo opened with "Matchbox" and "It Don't Come Easy" before handing off to the All-Stars and taking to the drums.

The guy will be 74 on July 7, but you'd never guess. He plays, sings, and flat out rocks!

At one point he said, "we'll do some songs from that band I USED to be with: Rory Storm and The Hurricanes!".

Obviously not - some that come to mind were "Honey Don't", "Don't Pass Me By", "I Wanna Be Your Man", "Photograph", "Yellow Submarine", and of course "With A Little Help From My Friends". Many more, it was a 2-hour+ show with no opening act (fine with me!).

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I'm sitting around waiting for a lawyer to call me (don't ask), so I can report on last weekend's Big Shew.

He's still on tour, so if it's swinging your way and there are tickets, Go Johnny Go!

Great band, all stars (that's why they're The All-Stars!). The ones I was most familiar with are Gregg Rolie (Santana keyboards) and Todd Rundgren. They did a few Santana classics: "Evil Ways", "Black Magic Woman", "Oye Como Va".

Ringo opened with "Matchbox" and "It Don't Come Easy" before handing off to the All-Stars and taking to the drums.

The guy will be 74 on July 7, but you'd never guess. He plays, sings, and flat out rocks!

At one point he said, "we'll do some songs from that band I USED to be with: Rory Storm and The Hurricanes!".

Obviously not - some that come to mind were "Honey Don't", "Don't Pass Me By", "I Wanna Be Your Man", "Photograph", "Yellow Submarine", and of course "With A Little Help From My Friends". Many more, it was a 2-hour+ show with no opening act (fine with me!).

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum

Did he sing "Boys"?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Did he sing "Boys"?

No, he didn't (at least not that I can recall - I was in an altered state of delerious bliss most of the evening).

That one would have paired well with "I Wanna Be Your Man", which he led into by yelling, "ARE THERE ANY LADIES OUT THERE:confused:".

Retired October 2012

No, he didn't (at least not that I can recall - I was in an altered state of delerious bliss most of the evening).

That one would have paired well with "I Wanna Be Your Man", which he led into by yelling, "ARE THERE ANY LADIES OUT THERE:confused:".

Retired October 2012

Thanks!

Obviously not ...
Actually, before he was invited to join The Beatles, Ringo played with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes and had a drum and/or vocal solo spot during their sets called "Starr Time." During his solo spot he'd sing stuff like "Boys," which he still performs to this day.
Rory-Storm-and-the-Hurricanes.jpg

I meant "obviously not" not in reference to The Hurricanes (all Beatles people know he played with them), but the songs he did in that show.

A friend/fellow attendee sent me a message with info about personnel history. I'll pass on once I recover from flying back "home" today.

Last edited:
Here's what I got. If you don't see Ringo, check out Lake Street Dive; they're on the road all summer.!

-----------

According to Pete Best's own website, the band he was in before the Beatles was called the Blackjacks.
http://www.petebest.com/biography/1960-62.aspx

According to Merseybeat Nostalgia, Rory Storm had a band called The Raving Texans in 1959, which Ringo joined. They changed their name to Rory Storm and the Hurricanes at "the end of 1959".

Paul and John met Ringo when the Beatles were playing second bill to Derry Willkie and the Seniors. That's when they offered him Pete's job.
http://www.merseybeatnostalgia.co.uk/html/rory_storm.html

I think you misread the Wikipedia entry:
Ringo Starr was the drummer for the Hurricanes before joining the Beatles in August 1962, replacing original drummer Pete Best.

The "replacing original drummer" refers to "joining the Beatles" not to "drummer for the Hurricanes".

Re: The All-Starr Band lineup:
Steve Lukather, formerly of Toto, was the guy with the metallic guitars.
Gregg Rolie, formerly of Santana and Journey, was the keyboardist
Todd Rundgren is Todd Rundgren
Gregg Bissonette (misspelled on the Ringo website) was the other drummer. Played with Van Halen. Great factoid: His father's name was Bud -- "Bud’s band when he was young was called Buddy Bissonette and His Bouncing Bulgarian Bean Band!"
Richard Page played bass (he's the one with the strong high voice) - had been in Mr. Mister
Warren Ham was the guy in the back who was with Kansas, among other bands

Here is an All-Starr joke I just made up:

Q: What did Steve Lukather say to Warren Ham at the first All-Starr rehearsal?
A: "Kansas, I don't think we're in Toto any more."

I still think the album "All things must pass" by George Harrison is one of the best of all time. So many great songs on it, great musicians and produced by Phil Spector.

"Band on the Run" was also a great album.

I listed to the whole "Imagine" album again on Monday night - been a while since I heard it all but it is all still great. "How do you sleep" has that driving force in it and such vindictive lyrics.

"It don't come easy" is a great song.

I listed to the whole "Imagine" album again on Monday night - been a while since I heard it all but it is all still great. "How do you sleep" has that driving force in it and such vindictive lyrics.

"Those freaks were right when they said you were dead."

You don't write stuff like that about anyone who isn't really, really close to you. It's Cold Turkey land.

One more thing about the All-Starr Band:

I have a friend who is heavy into computer graphics, virtual/alternate reality, etc. That's his job, and he goes to conferences about that stuff.

When you show up at that kind of meeting. you have to stand up and say who you are. definitely if you are presenting, but sometimes even if you're just asking a question. "I'm Steelyman, Illinois, blah-blah".

My friend was at one of those, and a guy walked up to the mike and said:

"Todd Rundgren. Rock musician."

Now, what do you say to that? ;)

A woman was telling me I'd make a good "Honeydew" man. As in, "Honey, do this, Honey do that."

I told her I saw the master singing "Honey Don't". :D

i watched that again. McCartney's got about the same body type as me. He's taller, sings better, and writes better than me.

Oh well, you have to have something to strive for in early retirement!

But you both make about the same amount of money, correct!!:dance::cool:

PS. I loved the story about the random meeting on a city bench between Warren Buffett and Paul.....would have loved to been there!

On that video, the drummer replicates the beats Ringo did on lines like "but you can do something in between". What a great kick drum.

I don't know if people appreciate what great musicians The Beatles really were.

Back
Top Bottom