Favourite Holiday Music

Zipper

Full time employment: Posting here.
I think my favourite holiday song is "I Believe in Father Christmas" with Greg Lake of Emerson Lake & Palmer going way back to the 70's.

It still gets lots of airtime and the lyrics mirror my beliefs.

My all time favorite is Winter Wonderland, doesn't matter who is singing it or if it's instrumental.

My favorite holiday music is blessed silence. Bah humbug!

Manheim Steamroller and the super oldies which still bring a smile. Little Jimmy Dickens with 2 Front Teeth always cracks us up and the all time best, Eartha Kitt with Santa Baby.

Christmas music wouldn't be complete without some Dino in the mix.

As a kid, my folks had a Christmas album by Tennessee Ernie Ford that I really enjoyed.

grumpy said:
I'm just glad to live in a state where "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" doesn't get much airtime.

Our most popular local station runs holiday music 24/7 from Thanksgiving to Christmas midnight. It amazes me that there's enough crap to fill the playlist. On the other hand just because it's by a popular artist or a new twist on a traditional favorite doesn't mean it should see the airwaves. I've had enough of "The Little Drummer Boy" to make me look forward to Tommy Lee's interpretation...

grumpy said:

What he said.

I suppose they have to play it in the stores, but does it have to be so (expletive deleted) LOUD?

Hearing holiday music is supposed to put one in a holiday mood and encourage the purchasing of crap.

For me, all it encourages is leaving the store as soon as possible.

Yes, I have the Aaron Neville on and it's great, but my all time favorite is Hipster's Holiday, I think put out by Rhino. Has Eartha Kitt ("Santa Baby") some Louie Armstrong ("Zatchoo? Santa Claus?") and a petulant Miles Davis singing. Another excellent one is "God Rest Ye Merry Jazzmen"

I have a pretty eclectic collection from standards (Elvis, Frank) to oddball (Brave Combo, Leon Redbone, Alligator Records' Cajun Christmas).

I've reached the point of severe Christmas music overload and would generally prefer silence. But there is still one song that brings a smile to my face -- the Billy Mack washed-up rocker version of "Christmas Is All Around". It helps to have seen it in context in the movie Love Actually.

I suppose they have to play it in the stores, but does it have to be so (expletive deleted) LOUD?
...For me, all it encourages is leaving the store as soon as possible.

Ooo Khan.. you've got that right. I always feel assaulted by it! I can't even imagine what it must be like to work in a mall and have that for eight hours at a stretch. I'm so relieved to exit the building.. but the new trend seems to be to blare music out into the parking lot, too..!! Makes me not even want to go in.

[should link here to the Cranky Old Man (& Lady) thread]

It's wierdly aggressive.

Christmas song that always makes me cry: "Fairytale of New York" by the Pogues.

I'd have to say Trans-siberian Orchestra's music is my newest favorite Christmas music.
The Carpenters is my oldest favorite.

Nords said:
I'm just glad to live in a state where "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" doesn't get much airtime.

:LOL: You would think it is played a lot here, by I can't remember the last time I heard it. Don't want to hear it. Have you heard Terry Bradshaw's Christmas songs? :LOL: Imus plays some in the mornings on his show.

I guess my favorite song is 'Silent Night'. Amy Grant's version is pretty good. :)

Goonie said:
Hey, I know!!! How about "Jingle Bells" by that bunch of barking dogs?! "Arf, Arf, Arf...Arf, Arf, Arf....." :LOL:

Little piece of trivia: Jingle Bells was written in Medford, Massachusetts, close to my home. The sleigh races they used to have on Salem Street in Medford gave inspiration to the creation of the Jingle Bells song.

Seconding KB's recommendation of Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Just went to see them live this past Sunday, and ... wow. Just wow. Best concert money I've spent in a very long time.

It even gets this atheist into the Christmas spirit. ;)

Peggy, I think that's why I like "I Believe in Father Christmas".

It's a fine atheist tune. ;)

Local radio jazz show played a percussion version of JBells called "Jungle Bells" that was done on log-type drums; amazingly tuneful & fantastic rhythms. Had me dancin'.

Sorry I missed the artist; Amazon has a cd with that title by Brent Lewis, but I don't know if that's th eone.

Back
Top Bottom