FDA Approves Booster Shot for People with Weakened Immune Systems

So about the same as after the second dose.

Thanks for that important info.

Moderna vaccine didn’t show nearly as much immunity waning (for hospitalization) after 120 days as Pfizer did. It had almost no change at all.

That's nice to hear. I guess it's better to be lucky than good. Moderna was all that was available to me, so that's what I took. YMMV

My Pfizer booster is scheduled for this Friday at my nearby neighborhood CVS pharmacy. They have lots of appointments available and the whole process could not have been easier, just as a poster upthread said.

Moderna vaccine didn’t show nearly as much immunity waning (for hospitalization) after 120 days as Pfizer did. It had almost no change at all.

Posters here that received Moderna are you waiting or getting the P jab?

I'm fine with waiting because the Moderna booster will be half the dose of the initial two jabs and I'm reading they might do a little tweeking for the Delta variant. I mean if half a jab does the trick why take the big dose?

Wonder how long this will take to become available?

My Pfizer booster is scheduled for this Friday at my nearby neighborhood CVS pharmacy. They have lots of appointments available and the whole process could not have been easier, just as a poster upthread said.

Yep. When I got my flu shot, CVS was all set up to take walk-ins for the Pfizer booster - assuming you were eligible. YMMV

I'm waiting on the Moderna. I am ok with waiting for it until we get the data analyzed, but I do hope it's soon. I'm past my 6 month mark.

Also, our local rates are FINALLY starting to decline, and I sure would like to go back to the gym. I don't feel comfortable going back until I've received my booster, and I wouldn't be able to tolerate exercising in a mask.

I'm waiting on the Moderna. I am ok with waiting for it until we get the data analyzed, but I do hope it's soon. I'm past my 6 month mark.

Also, our local rates are FINALLY starting to decline, and I sure would like to go back to the gym. I don't feel comfortable going back until I've received my booster, and I wouldn't be able to tolerate exercising in a mask.

Our 6-months is coming up soon. Also hoping for a quick approval and availability.

Here's an article which I felt provides a good summary regarding boosters.

Booster Shots Are Coming. Here's How To Figure Out If You Need One

Thanks for the article. I'm still not sure everyone in the scientific community is on board, but it makes sense: Over 65 - get the booster (whenever it comes out (Moderna) and past 6 months since 2nd shot.) Otherwise, it's a mixed bag. I thought the idea of waiting for the delta "version" of the vaccine was interesting. Maybe I'll be eligible for THAT shot as well in 6 more months. YMMV

I just passed the 7 month mark last week since I received my Pfizer vaccine. I went online this morning and scheduled a booster and flu shot for this afternoon at the Kroger about 1.5 miles from my home. Wheels up in 15 days for our flight to Rome to start our Med cruise. It's close timing but doing it for the extra protection it reportedly affords.

There were still wide open for appointments at the local Kroger. Our major tri-county vaccination center 2.5 miles from my house isn't doing boosters, only initial vaccinations and 3rd jabs for immuno compromised people. Nearest county facility giving boosters is 24.5 miles from my home. No thanks.

I just passed the 7 month mark last week since I received my Pfizer vaccine. I went online this morning and scheduled a booster and flu shot for this afternoon at the Kroger about 1.5 miles from my home. Wheels up in 15 days for our flight to Rome to start our Med cruise. It's close timing but doing it for the extra protection it reportedly affords.

There were still wide open for appointments at the local Kroger. Our major tri-county vaccination center 2.5 miles from my house isn't doing boosters, only initial vaccinations and 3rd jabs for immuno compromised people. Nearest county facility giving boosters is 24.5 miles from my home. No thanks.

Are the booster shot and the flu shot free of charges?

IIRC the flu shot is covered by virtually every insurance plan (including MC). So it's NOT free but is included. IOW Someone pays, but just not YOU at the time of the shot.

I think (Please correct me) we all get "free" Covid shots - I'm assuming the booster as well, though I do not know so YMMV.

My Pfizer booster is scheduled for Friday, October 1st. This is one week shy of my 7-month point after the original second shot. The same day, my 83 year old mother is getting her booster too. She would be at about the 7 1/2 month point after her original second shot. Our shots are being done by the local hospital at an unused office building they recently purchased.

Right now, this is the only vaccination session they have scheduled. They tended to do 2 or 3 a week during the earlier peak vaccination period. I suspect they might just do 1 or 2 a week now. I'm sure they are monitoring demand to figure that out.

I'm fine with waiting because the Moderna booster will be half the dose of the initial two jabs and I'm reading they might do a little tweeking for the Delta variant. I mean if half a jab does the trick why take the big dose?

I will probably wait but I heard a local doctor being interviewed on the local news this morning and he was urging healthcare workers to get the Pfizer booster even if they'd had Moderna initially. His argument was both to get the booster ASAP and that there is considerable evidence that mixing and matching works well, perhaps even better than not mixing shots.

I will probably wait but I heard a local doctor being interviewed on the local news this morning and he was urging healthcare workers to get the Pfizer booster even if they'd had Moderna initially. His argument was both to get the booster ASAP and that there is considerable evidence that mixing and matching works well, perhaps even better than not mixing shots.

Alan is in a study of mixing 1st and 2nd shots. I may have missed it but I haven't heard any updates on results yet. I would tend to agree that mixing might just tweak the immune response a bit more. But, without the data, it's only a guess at this point. I'm holding out for the Moderna booster, but I hope it's not too far in the future. YMMV

Alan is in a study of mixing 1st and 2nd shots. I may have missed it but I haven't heard any updates on results yet. I would tend to agree that mixing might just tweak the immune response a bit more. But, without the data, it's only a guess at this point.
I have it on good authority he is still alive, infection-free, no horns or tail, and still speaks with a funny accent. :)

Alan is in a study of mixing 1st and 2nd shots. I may have missed it but I haven't heard any updates on results yet. I would tend to agree that mixing might just tweak the immune response a bit more. But, without the data, it's only a guess at this point. I'm holding out for the Moderna booster, but I hope it's not too far in the future. YMMV

The results on whether the mixed vaccines increase immunity will not be out until early next year, but the preliminary results of this and the earlier mixed vaccine trials are that there are no major side effects when mixing AZ, Pfizer and Moderna.

The UK is pressing ahead with Pfizer and/or Moderna half doses for boosters for the over 50s without knowing the full UK mixed vaccine trial results.

There now waiting for jab. Bill is zero

Received both Flu and Pfizer Covid booster using Medicare as insurance provider resulting in zero cost to me.

Last edited:

Six months after completing the 2 shot sequence of Moderna (that was what was available to us) we both received a third injection/booster of Moderna that was offered at the local grocery pharmacy. That was 5 weeks ago. Since it was in a shoulder that is arthritic and chronically painful I don't know if any discomfort was due to the booster. Since it was 5 weeks ago I don't know if it was a full or half dose. No one said. So far we seem fine and haven't grown a third eye.

Cheers!

I had the Moderna. I will get my flu shot next week and then I plan to wait 2 weeks to get the Covid booster (my doctor suggested to wait 2 weeks between Covid and the flu shots). I hope in a couple of weeks there will be Moderna approval.

Where I live the CVS and local health dept are not giving the Pfizer shot to people who had Moderna since that has not been authorized.

I have it on good authority he is still alive, infection-free, no horns or tail, and still speaks with a funny accent. :)

I have been speaking with an American accent this last few weeks, which proves that the unknown vaccine I had was either Moderna or Novavax. :)

DH and I got our third Phizer shot on Friday 9/24, the first day officially sanctioned. I had scheduled them(CVS) in advance anticipating the final approval from Welensky on Thursday. DH's arm was very slightly sore, for a day, but I had zero side effects. We could have gotten the flu shot the same day, but we declined. We have appointments for 10/6 at a drive in clinic set up by our hospital system. Our hospital system also emailed us on Friday for the booster, so no bottlenecks in the system, like the first shot.

I'm relieved. We are still being very cautious, with masking in public indoor locations and will continue this practice until the current numbers subside.

Six months after completing the 2 shot sequence of Moderna (that was what was available to us) we both received a third injection/booster of Moderna that was offered at the local grocery pharmacy. That was 5 weeks ago. Since it was in a shoulder that is arthritic and chronically painful I don't know if any discomfort was due to the booster. Since it was 5 weeks ago I don't know if it was a full or half dose. No one said. So far we seem fine and haven't grown a third eye.

Cheers!

Interesting pretty sure that would have been the full dose...it's not the third eye but the fact that two half dose boosters each with it's own spacing should in theory give one much more lasting protection then one full one.

Nothing I've seen leads me to believe that a Moderna booster at the six month mark is necessary.

Interesting pretty sure that would have been the full dose...it's not the third eye but the fact that two half dose boosters each with it's own spacing should in theory give one much more lasting protection then one full one.

Nothing I've seen leads me to believe that a Moderna booster at the six month mark is necessary.

You may be correct, but unless folks start having bad reactions due to Moderna boosters (once authorized) I'll feel better just having the booster. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom