Funny situation today.

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was running this afternoon in my neighborhood where they are still building houses. Many Mexican workers here in North carolina, and man the work their arses off, anyway it was 41 degrees and pouring, the house he was working on seemed to be locked he was outside standing with a busted umbrella that was not doing much good in a Tee Shirt. as I run past him I said I tought I was the only LOCO human outside he smiled. I get into my house and go and find a sweatshirt to give the guy. I look out up the street and he was not standing waiting for anyone but stealing stuff from a pile of stuff that was delivered at some point and I must have surprised him. He then took the boxes and put them into a car up the street and drove off.

Me thinking I would give a drowned rat the shirt off my back only to see he was a crook.

Oh my!

Did you report him to the police?

TromboneAl said:
Did you report him to the police?

The police are tired of the reports of stealing by the workers that the BUILDERS HIRE!!

Their response is hire LEGALS, they are kinda not worried about the inside jobs since it could be stopped if the builders would just hire the right people.

funny someone put a sign this morning at the entrance to the neighborhood saying immigration was gonna make an apperance today, guess what its quiet on the construction sites.

Could you try and not make reference to a specific ethnic group? This isn't the first post which references "illegal Mexican workers". I'm of Mexican extract and not all of us are illegal aliens or thieves. ::)

Don't mean to be a wet blanket with my PC crap. :) I realize your good intentions and the thief's bad. I hope you contacted the police.

cube_rat said:
Could you try and not make reference to a specific ethnic group? This isn't the first post which references "illegal Mexican workers". I'm of Mexican extract and not all of us are illegal aliens or thieves. ::)

Don't mean to be a wet blanket with my PC crap. :) I realize your good intentions and the thief's bad. I hope you contacted the police.

Which post had " "illegal Mexican workers" " in it? I looked at them all but couldn't find it. All of them appeared to me to have been worded properly.

No slam here - I may have missed it.

dex said:
Which post had " "illegal Mexican workers" " in it? I looked at them all but couldn't find it. All of them appeared to me to have been worded properly.

No slam here - I may have missed it.

No problem.

OP's original post describes a "mexican man" in the the context of a day laborer of some sorts. The following messages describe calling immigration and all. You get the picture. :)

cube_rat said:
No problem.

OP's original post describes a "mexican man" in the the context of a day laborer of some sorts. The following messages describe calling immigration and all. You get the picture. :)

Thanks

newguy888 said:
The police are tired of the reports of stealing by the workers that the BUILDERS HIRE!!

A couple of points -

I moved from NYC to Georgia and I was SHOCKED in the difference in security measures and expectation of businesses and personal property.

In NYC you expect that if you leave anything of value in view it will get stolen - examples - never leave anything in your car that can be seen; your windows will be broken and the item stolen; at one time it was poplular to steal in dash radios.

In Georgia, I drive around and see such easy things to steal - examples - ACE hardware stores they leave everything out in front of the store when it is closed; you could easily back up a truck and load it up. People do the same thing with home items such as rockers and even their garages (the ones without doors) - wide open - drive in and take what you want.

Funny story - there was a garbage strike in NYC years ago. Some smart people put their garbage in a box and gift wrapped it. They left the gift wrapped garbage on the back of their car or a bus stop - yup it was stollen.

The "small" crimes of stealing building materials do affect the society in two major ways - increased costs of building is one. The other is that it adds to a decrease in the quality of life in the community as demonstrated by the lack of police reaction - it erodes the life sense of community and trust. When Rudi Gulliani began as mayor of NYC he focused on theses quality of life issues and some said it contributed to the overall decrease in crime - Of course there were other reasons. Look at the differences between NYC and Georgia.

Newguy888 was intending to do a good deed; will he think twice before doing something in the future? And if he does and decides not to do it; will not the quality of life in his community be decreased? I would say yes.

cube_rat said:
No problem.

Cube rat

The crew that works on the house is from Veracruz Mexeco. Nice guys.

I was trying to be nice in yesterdays nasty weather and I really thought he was in a bind. I was running and when I got to my house about 200 yards from where he was standing with nothing but a Tee shirt and a broken umbrella I was getting ready to bring him the sweatshirt and as I looked out the window that was when I saw him pick up the boxes and walk to his vehicle up the street.

Hey I said nothing that would have been interpreted as racist or wrong. I made an observation. which I get to make daily.

Again when I applied for my substitute and coaching position I HAD TO SHOW MY SOCIAL SECURITY CARD!!!

Yes the law says you must have one to get paid when doing the RIGHT THING.

These guys are working illegally and we know it for a fact.

however the powers that be will NOT deport these guys. Why beats me. I say make the builders pay for hiring an illegal worker.

newguy888 said:
Why beats me. I say make the builders pay for hiring an illegal worker.
The businesses are fighting any penalties for hiring an illegal worker. As mentioned above, they are fighting a current bill that would actually penalize them. 32 business groups have lined up against it. It seems to be putting the local Republicans in a tight position. They either have to piss off the businesses or piss off the people who are against illegal immigration. It will be interesting to see if the law gets passed.

In this article, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/03/AR2006100301254.html a farmer complained how the current law was "cumbersome" and that they are finding themselves at odds with the Republican Party. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I was driving to work the other day and saw a bus (like a school bus) that had a local home builder's logo and name on it. I asked myself, why does a home builder need a bus? Answer; to transport the day workers to the construction site.

Our front yard was woods a few years ago when we purchased the house from the previous owner. The house is on 1.5 acres. Long story short, there are a number of subdivisions going up around us. Plus the trees in front were dying and dropping. I started worrying about a tree hitting the house after a couple of near misses. I decided to hire a contractor ro clear the land. The guy with the heavy equipment moved the dirt and graded it. Much to my suprise, he had a subcontractor to cut down and clear the trees. When the sub showed up he had about 10 mexicans with him. They worked hard and cleared the trees quickly. Of course, none could speak english. Do you think any of those guys were legal?

It'll have exactly two effects.

One is that not as many homes will be built, and those that are will be built more slowly.

The other is that they'll cost a lot more.

Oh yeah, and you better start growing your own fruits and vegetables. Most of the farmers around here would just sell their farms if they had to pay 'legal' workers. They'd never turn a profit and nobody would be very interested in paying $10.00/lb for tomatoes.

Like it or not, these 'illegal' workers (many of which are probably quite legal) serve a pretty important role in our economy.

THATS why nobody busts anyones chops for hiring them.

Back
Top Bottom