Get Older, Be Despised - New Yorker article

In our group we convinced our management to fund travel for younger, inexperienced folks to participate on some of our client projects. For example, I conduct a workshop and train them on teaching a couple of modules, with the eventual goal of them taking it over as they gain experience.

This sounds logical, but you would be surprised at what it took to convince management to do this.

No, I'm not surprised. At my MC, they are replacing the experienced folks with youngsters right out of college with no training. Add the cultural mix into it (many are on a work visa), and the culture is to not ask questions or look like you make a mistake. And I want to say, these are fine people, I have no problem with them. Most smarter than me.

But, no training, fear of the work contract, adds up to a real mess.

The "good news?" The expenses are WAY down.

I didn't know you had to get older to be despised. All I ever had to do as far back as I can remember is to do or say something someone else didn't like, and that's easy.

Add the cultural mix into it (many are on a work visa), and the culture is to not ask questions or look like you make a mistake.

This reminded me of a friend in Riyadh, whose Saudi counterpart asked him, (after a technical malfunction at one of the telco central offices), "What is the punishment for that?"

Friend replied "There is no 'punishment', excrement occurs"...highlights the mindset in some areas of the world.

Another media article designed to divide us into warring groups.

I am getting tired of being told since I am part of Group A, the people in Group B don't like me, and we both should have nothing to do with those in Group C.

Bingo.

Age discrimination happens, particularly in the workplace, but even there it seems to be more a matter of (perceived) potential cost savings, rather than true disdain.

But I can’t recall experiencing any significant age discrimination even in attitudes. Actually the reverse. More than once, going down the stairwell in the office between floors, I’ve yielded the way to a younger and faster fellow with a friendly “You go ahead - you’re quicker!” When he said, “Thank you, sir,” it was hard to know whether to be surprised or amused! And it wasn’t said with sarcasm - he was genuinely being polite and deferential.

It was actually encouraging - not because I personally wanted or needed any special treatment, but because it seemed that standards of civility and courtesy are still alive, including among the younger generations.

I scrolled from the top to the bottom of the article. At page bottom you are told, "Read something that means something."

Put that in a tweet, and enjoy the rest of your days!

I don't feel ageism much at all but I have been retired for 12 years. If I wanted or needed to work I suspect I would feel the burn from the young folks around me but since I don't want what they have (work) I am good. I agree with the point in the article, that as we age we still inwardly feel "the same," albeit with some different interests.

What the hell does Tad Friend (the author of the New Yorker article) know? He's only 55!

OMG it's over for me.

I'm 61 and retired.

And, I drive a Buick.

I wear the SAME OUTFIT (clean of course!) out shopping each week in the small town where I live, and NO ONE NOTICES. I have decided I could go naked to the store and no one would notice. I am tall, not overweight, and have nice hair, but still, no one looks twice.

I don't care. I'm just so glad I lived below my means and saved and could retire so I could be left alone. And I DO mean alone. There's too much silliness and meanness out there today.

Would rather be home with my cats.

And, my brown furniture.

And my bedroom teevee is going to be TWENTY EIGHT years old in January. It still works. All I use it for is the stock ticker and reruns of "Law and Order" in the middle of the night, episodes of which are the same vintage.

Did I post this and forget I did? :LOL:

Sly Stone:
"I am no better and neither are you
We are the same whatever we do
You love me you hate me you know me and then
You can't figure out the bag I'm in
I am everyday people, yeah yea"

https://youtu.be/prp4kWG0ZbU

Like youth today, when I was in my early 20's I thought I was immortal, and would never grow old. Surely I would never be a day over 30 years old.

Wow, that sure didn't pan out, did it! :D

+1
Of course I'm glad I'm still around.

When I went back to College for another degree, worked in team with 2 fellows, one of whom just had his 23rd birthday. So of course they ask me how old I was.... I think they nearly fainted as they were so shocked... :wiseone:

When I was young, 15-25 yrs., I wanted to be old. To be done with competition, confusion and making mistakes. I grew weary of fashion, although I was a looker, I was tired of trying to impress. Relationships were so complicated. Finally found my DH, married 33 years. Made it to FIRE. Life is simple.

I love being old.

I think it's certainly different in some other cultures (i.e. Japan, with an actual day of celebration of the elders). And some European ones where the whole family live together, the elders keeping their place as family leaders.

But in the US, particularly in the Tech/Corporate sector, this article rang true for me. Age and rank was also a big factor (ie, if you weren't VP by 45, and a white male, it wasn't going to happen). I learned to stop saying how long I'd been with MC years ago, after I said out loud "20 years". My then-boss looked surprised and I could see him instantly calculate my age, and realize I was actually older than him...

I recall distinctly the day we had a new VP and the 30 or so in our group had to individually introduce ourselves (name, title, area of responsibility and yrs of service). I went almost last and there was an audible gasp in the room when I said proudly 35 yrs! Years ago this would have been a point of pride, but not any more. I left 2 yrs later.

Bingo.

Age discrimination happens, particularly in the workplace, but even there it seems to be more a matter of (perceived) potential cost savings, rather than true disdain.

IMHO, there was age discrimination and gender discrimination at my last job, a small business. It was not done by the young professionals however (who were for the most part truly good people), but the new owner and his right hand man, who believed that you could get the same quality work for less cost. In my field, it takes years to know the ins and outs, plus develop relationships and trust with the clients. He lost 1/2 of his professional staff in six months - they left him - for other employment.

Thus far, I find the young people at my new place of employment, very likeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't really give a first hand experience of aging in the tech world. When I was still in my late 30s I deliberately took a job maintaining some older technology because it would be easier to set myself up for telecommuting and part-time work over trying to keep up with the latest stuff. I knew it was dead-ending me but I didn't care since I wasn't staying around anyway. So I can't say that I tried and failed to keep up with the latest; I didn't even try.

With running, I think many of the younger runners respect the older folks still out there. Maybe we give them hope that they still have a long running career in front of them. We're not always slower than them either. My much faster nephew and I leapfrogged each other twice at a 100 mile times before he finally put it out of my reach. Many races give masters and grand masters awards, and Boston Marathon qualifying times are age adjusted, and most runners respect a BQ time at any age. I can't really do training runs with the young bucks anymore, but, I can run with some of the fit, younger women. Age has its benefits!

I think young people do not particularly hate older people. It's more that everybody hates everybody else.

Ha

Last edited:
My experience joining a Big 4 advisory practice late in my career (I was 43) was the opposite. Clients particularly liked having someone with some gray hairs for who their project was not their first rodeo at the table.. ditto for our partners. That said, it was a rarity for someone of my age and industry experience to migrate from industry to the Big 4. The staff also valued my experience and I did a lot of presenting at our annual practice meetings.

Today one of my millennial neighbors and I watched my other neighbor blow his leaves on another property. I told him I'm curious if he'll dump on me next.
The kid replyed " yeah like anyone's going to mess with you"
At least he made an old man's day.

Lol, my neighbor 30 years older than me apologized that they hadn't picked up the leaves the other day. I responded "community property".

I can't really give a first hand experience of aging in the tech world. When I was still in my late 30s I deliberately took a job maintaining some older technology because it would be easier to set myself up for telecommuting and part-time work over trying to keep up with the latest stuff. I knew it was dead-ending me but I didn't care since I wasn't staying around anyway. So I can't say that I tried and failed to keep up with the latest; I didn't even try.

With running, I think many of the younger runners respect the older folks still out there. Maybe we give them hope that they still have a long running career in front of them. We're not always slower than them either. My much faster nephew and I leapfrogged each other twice at a 100 mile times before he finally put it out of my reach. Many races give masters and grand masters awards, and Boston Marathon qualifying times are age adjusted, and most runners respect a BQ time at any age. I can't really do training runs with the young bucks anymore, but, I can run with some of the fit, younger women. Age has its benefits!

I did a couple of the Corporate Challenge races - when you are at the finish line cheering on the younger coworkers looking rather refreshed - they don’t seem to see you as the old guy.

A friend sent me this one the other day. :D

Human Resources Manager: "What is your greatest weakness?"

Old Man: "Honesty!"

Human Resources Manager: "I don't think honesty is a weakness."

Old Man : "I don't give a sh!t what you think."

Back
Top Bottom