Gluten Free

Last edited:
Are you willing to make your own? I've been using various versions of this recipe:

Gluten-Free Pizza Crust - My New Recipe

Even DH and my parents, who aren't GF, really like it.

I'd have to think about that - not sure it would be worth the payoff. But I bookmarked the site for that and other info. Thank you!

I have to fall in with the crowd that says if you have a diagnosed problem with gluten avoid it. I believe that most of our food related problems center around the modern food industry and its desire to process and change food in crazy ways to aid their marketing efforts. I have joined the "Eat Real Food" movement, such as it is. By real food, I mean food the way God made it. The closer to that the better. The only single ingredient i have tried to greatly reduce in my diet is added sugar. The evidence against it is damning.

I have looked at some of these diets such as low-fat, low-car, Paleo, etc. The problem I have with most of them is they often end up being a way to sell us more manufactured digestible products usually at high prices. Or they eliminate products that have not been a problem for me (grains, for example). The list of no-carb products is enormous! And we all no what the low-fat diet has morphed into in the USA and Canada.

I deplore the fanatics who have made food choice a 'religious' experience that all must be converted to. And non believers are of the devil! I like real food the way God made it, but I still cook my meat and veggies as needed. I also enjoy a glass of wine from time to time, and even a big slice of my buddy's homemade apple pie (loaded with sugar). Fortunately, my buddy only makes these pies 4 or 5 times a hear.

Last edited:
OK, I gotcha now. You eat the seeds that are not grains.
-ERD50

I believe that wheat and most other grains are seeds. Maybe higher in carbs than sunflower quiona, or pumpkin seeds, but still seeds. Was that your point?

Last edited:
I have looked at some of these diets such as low-fat, low-car, Paleo, etc. The problem I have with most of them is they often end up being a way to sell us more manufactured digestible products usually at high prices.

This is a legitimate charge and one that, hopefully, will be corrected over time.

10 Critical Issues The Paleo Community Must Address

8. Commercial success

As with any movement that begins to build an audience and branch out into the mainstream, the opportunities for commercial success are sure to follow. I’m always amazed whenever I hear people actually criticize the capitalistic ventures of highly-respected people in this community like Mark Sisson and his accompanying Primal Blueprint product line or the brand new PaleoLogix supplements brand created by Robb Wolf and Chris Kresser. How much FREE information have those three men alone given out to the Paleo community over the years to help start this Paleo revolution we are now seeing? Don’t they deserve to be remunerated for literally investing tens of thousands of hours into the lives of others at no charge? I certainly think so. And I’ve even heard this same complaint about the work that I do because I have sponsors on my sites and I solicit donations from those who find benefit in my work. Never mind the fact that all of my three podcasts that air five days a week, my blog, my forum, my YouTube videos and so much more are all 100% FREE to anyone who chooses to partake of them. I’m a strong believer in working hard, providing quality content and being appropriately rewarded for your efforts. One of the ways Paleo will become a part of the overall nutrition and health conversation is to have businesses and business ventures succeed in the marketplace of ideas and dollars. That’s why it’s encouraging to see so many Paleo books making it on the bestsellers lists and companies like Pre-made Paleo, Primal Paleo Concepts and Louise’s Foods providing consumers with quality real food-based items to enhance their Paleo lifestyle. We shouldn’t fear commercial success, but should embrace it as a means for expanding the Paleo message even further into the mainstream.

(The other nine issues are worth a look at and may address other concerns you may have.)

Last edited:
OK, I gotcha now. You eat the seeds that are not grains.
-ERD50
I believe that wheat and most other grains are seeds. Maybe higher in carbs than sunflower quiona, or pumpkin seeds, but still seeds. Was that your point?

I had responded when bo_knows said something about not eating grains, then later said he ate seeds. It threw me, but then I realized it was a rabbit/hare thing.

All grains are seeds, but not all seeds are grains. So he can eat (some) seeds w/o eating grain.

Other than trying to understand that point, I have no point. Carbs, seeds, grain or otherwise. I'm just listening.

-ERD50

Why the Metabolically Broken Can’t Eat Carbs

Those of us who were metabolically broken and obese have compromised gut and digestion. I’m going out on a limb by making that blanket statement, but I’ve yet to meet a single person who defies that definition. I’m sure there are exceptions, and there’s plenty of “healthy” individuals with bad guts. If that’s you, then this also applies to you – so listen up!

What happens to someone who’s formerly been addicted to palatable foods is that the reintroduction of it, in most any capacity (even fruit) can trigger an emotional and chemical response in your brain that makes you want to add it back into your diet. Looking back, we were even serving starchy and dense veggies at almost every meal – it was carbohydrate city in our home for the month of December! Ultimately, these special occasions with special treats become less special and ultimately one find themselves without any pants that fit and a constant craving for more sweets and carbohydrates.

" looked around a g.f. store the other day and noticed that the items are pretty expensive"

For one I would not look at buying replacement products like bread, crackers, brownies, cookies. Yes, those product can be expensive. You can go gluten free without these replacement products- just follow any Paleo recipe and you'll be gluten free.

EverydayPaleo.com
PaleoOMG.com
NomNomPaleo.com

Your friend probably had a diet filled with pasta, rice, potatoes and bread for him to lose so much weight and was probably highly sensitive to gluten.

But you don't have to go gluten free to lose weight. And you certainly don't need to start buying expensive gluten replacement products either!

For a simple description of the Paleo Diet see:

Paleo – What?

And to balance the "scale" she adds this at the end:

I have been on the GAPS* diet for over a year now which is a very restrictive diet. But, the GAPS diet is meant to be for a period of time to allow for healing of the gut – not a long term diet. Honestly, I am looking forward to eating properly prepared grains again.

I am sure others have and do benefit from the Paleo diet. But, I wonder if a traditional diet filled with healthy fats, grass fed meats, dairy, fruits, vegetables and properly prepared grains would also yield significant health benefits for many individuals. I myself enjoy many of the recipes I have found specifically for the Paleo diet. But, as a lifestyle and long term way of eating, I prefer a less restrictive diet.

* (My note) Gut and Psychology Syndrome -- The GAPS Diet is based on the work of Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. She discovered the SCD Diet (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) and took it a step further by describing the gut-brain connection in the book Gut and Psychology Syndrome. Her patients coined the term GAP Syndrome or simply GAPS.

For a simple description of the Paleo Diet see:

Paleo – What?

And to balance the "scale" she adds this at the end:

Honestly, I am looking forward to eating properly prepared grains again.

In the article, she describes 'properly prepared grains' as grains that have been soaked/sprouted.

I currently have ~ 25# of 'properly prepared grains' in process (three 5 gallon batches of beer). Beer is made from malted grains (mainly), and malting is a process of soaking/sprouting, then drying the grain. With more soaking when you make the beer. Mmmmm, beer.

That waffle recipe sounds interesting: add the recipe liquid to the flour, plus 1 Tbsp kefir, yogurt or lemon juice per cup liquid, and let sit over night. Supposedly makes a lighter waffle. I'm guessing they rely on the naturally present lacto-bacillus on the grain/flour and/or airborne critters to give some microbial action, and the kefir, yogurt or lemon juice is just to provide some acidity to keep other microbes inactive.

-ERD50

More and more people seem to subscribe to the JERF philosophy. It certainly makes things less confusing.

Note: no endorsement intended or implied. I have not bought the shirt, but I do think it is an interesting comment on the food industry.

JERF Men’s Tee | Underground Wellness

DW is allergic to wheat (not gluten), but it is easiest to shop gluten free to ensure that our groceries are wheat free. One of the best ways to shop gluten free in the grocery store is to shop mostly around the perimeter of the store instead of within the isles. The fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, and dairy products are almost always on the outer edges of the grocery stores. DW has searched in vain for a good all-purpose gluten free flour, but most are just not that good - that would be the Holy Grail for those allergic to wheat and gluten.

There are many delicious recipes made with almond flour or coconut flour. Check out elanaspantry.com for recipes. I make her Mini Blueberry Muffins several times weekly. DH and I eat about 90% paleo and love it. Two of our daughters have also "gone paleo" and have had hormone and blood sugar issues clear up. I avoid wheat, but eat other grains very occasionally, like rice when we go for sushi.

Eating out can be difficult but restaurants are getting smarter. Panera Bread has come out with "hidden menu" with a few delicious options.

DW has searched in vain for a good all-purpose gluten free flour, but most are just not that good - that would be the Holy Grail for those allergic to wheat and gluten.

Our Story on Gluten Free :: Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods

This can be found in many places, including Costco:

Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour :: Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods

Ingredients:
garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, whole grain sweet white sorghum flour, fava bean flour

Also see the "Wheat Belly Cookbook" I mentioned earlier for many suggestions. There are also many, many BLOGS with many, many GF baking recipes.

Last edited:
With regards to a Paleo diet, didn't we have significantly shorter life spans back then? Don't some of the longer lived cultures have grain as a key dietary staple? This difference can't all be explained by cave babies being eaten by Saber toothed tigers.....

DW is allergic to wheat (not gluten), but it is easiest to shop gluten free to ensure that our groceries are wheat free. One of the best ways to shop gluten free in the grocery store is to shop mostly around the perimeter of the store instead of within the isles. The fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, and dairy products are almost always on the outer edges of the grocery stores. DW has searched in vain for a good all-purpose gluten free flour, but most are just not that good - that would be the Holy Grail for those allergic to wheat and gluten.

I was diagnosed celiac about 4 years ago and went through the typical drill of trying to replicate what had to be withdrawn. I do occasionally use amaranth flour to cook with, but the most effective tack for me has been just to walk away from the classes of foods that are typically gluten containing.

I have found that you can get used to anything if you try hard enough, pizza on gf crust does the job if you want pizza bad enough.
wild rice and oats tend to fill the void enough eventually, my wife goes along 98% of the time and is not feeling deprived. The sleeper with celiac is how pervasive gluten is in prepared foods [eg, soy sauce] and outings to restarants often produce bad results even with the best caution.

New york times today in the science section addresses some issues mentioned here:

Gluten-Free for the Gluten Sensitive - NYTimes.com

Wheat Is Murder?

Something to think about:
The gastroenterologists were clear on one point: Whatever the cause of our declining ability to digest gluten, DIY dieting is not the solution. Dr. Daniel Leffler, the director of research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center's Celiac Center in Boston, finds Udi's advice alarming. "I don't feel comfortable making broad claims that eating gluten impairs energy levels," he said. Avoiding gluten can actually be dangerous, Leffler added, since most people get the bulk of their necessary dietary fiber and certain vitamins from gluten-containing grains. Some gluten-free products are spiked with extra fiber, but subsisting on these specialty foods can get awfully pricey.

Back
Top Bottom