Going to Chicago

What sail on Thursday? Have someone else working that day, but i may swing by RW to say hello. Hoping to get out of the office in time and catch up with some other boats. Always fun to meet someone else from the forums.

Well, we are here. Very nice city. Super friendly people so far. Gigantic food servings, not so much the healthy choice stuff so far. Hit Edwardo's last night, liked it. Probably hit Lou Manetti's in a day or two. Got CTA passes for 3 days so we are good to go all over. Planning on sailing out Thurs on the Red Witch. Gonna see some of the sights now. Gottat go.

There is no healthy food in Chicago - at least none that I know of. You have some cool, dry days ahead for sightseeing. Have a great time!

I adore any kind of pizza, but there actually are a ton of great restaurants in Chicago that don't serve pizza and might even have some healthy food (Green Zebra, for example, is vegetarian and quite nice). Alinea was named the 7th best restaurant in the world (top US restaurant) in 2010, and the chef's new venture Next is booked for months ahead of time. Girl and the Goat continues to make headlines. Etc., etc., etc. Here is Chicago magazine's list of best new restaurants: Best New Restaurants in Chicago 2011 - Chicago magazine - May 2011 - Chicago

It sounds like you're having a wonderful time and great weather for a sail.

I adore any kind of pizza, but there actually are a ton of great restaurants in Chicago that don't serve pizza and might even have some healthy food (Green Zebra, for example, is vegetarian and quite nice). Alinea was named the 7th best restaurant in the world (top US restaurant) in 2010, and the chef's new venture Next is booked for months ahead of time. Girl and the Goat continues to make headlines. Etc., etc., etc. Here is Chicago magazine's list of best new restaurants: Best New Restaurants in Chicago 2011 - Chicago magazine - May 2011 - Chicago
As Feever points out, there are many fine dining choices in Chicagoland.

There is no healthy food in Chicago - at least none that I know of.
Nonetheless, I agree with Ronstar. Even the hot meals section at the local Whole Foods Market is unlike its counterparts in other parts of the country. In Cal and NY they have brown rice and tofu, while locally they have lasagna, meatballs, three types of white rice, and chili. When we discussed with the store manager he just said “every store caters to the tastes of the local market”.

One tasty and enjoyable restaurant dedicated to healthful foods and close to the city is Blind Faith Cafe in Evanston.

What sail on Thursday?

Not sure but probably early, like 11 or 12:30. I'll discuss it with my wife this morning and repost the time a little later if we figure it out.

Buddy Guy's Legends for the blues last night was really good. Guy by the name of Lindsey Alexander. Tore it up.

Forecast looks great for the show tonight

but there actually are a ton of great restaurants in Chicago that don't serve pizza and might even have some healthy food

Just a little tongue in cheek actually. Found a wide variety and obviously can't survive on pizza and hotdogs, ... , well maybe for a while. Had a very nice, light, Thai meal last night.

Weather is great, we have some luck.

Hoping to get out of the office in time and catch up with some other boats. Always fun to meet someone else from the forums.

Looks like we'll try to hit the Navy Pier early and get on the first sail at 11.

Forecast looks great for the show tonight

Yep, should be great. Looking forward to it. Should have brought earplugs last night. Got some cool pictures of Lindsey playing to my wife at our table. Post 'em when we get home.

First time seeing Los Lonely Boys, have seen Lobos a bunch but 1st time out of Calif., great stuff.

Gonna jump around this morning to Chinatown, Little Italy, and parts unknown. Got CTA passes so we're good to go.

Go to Hot Doug's for dogs if you can. Heavenly, but may be a serious line. Good weather for waiting in line at least. Recommend the foie Gras dog :)

Back
Top Bottom