Golf with Rx Glasses?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am thinking about signing up for a golf league this week. I played regularly from age 10 into my 40's. But it's been 15-20 years since I last played (boating took priority).

I'm sure I could get a game back IF not for - I never needed glasses until 18 years ago. When I was playing, I couldn't even wear sunglasses while hitting the ball - I always had to take them off before and after, full swing and even putting.

So will I be able to play golf with glasses? I'm going to a driving range now, and I'll try no glasses, reading glasses, distance glasses, clear progressives, sun bifocals and sun progressives. I assume I'll want some Croakies or the like to keep them on my face.

But any suggestions related to golf with glasses would be appreciated to get me up the (re)learning curve faster.

Last edited:
I play with prescription glasses, both regular and shades. They are for distance only so I technically don't need them to play, just to see where the balls go.

I think you just need to get used to wearing them?

oh, play well and have fun!

I have not played in many years, but my vision is so bad I have to do everything that requires me to see wearing glasses..

I cannot wear contacts... I tried before and my eyes would get red off and on... sometimes hurting a lot...

The Croakies are a good idea, particularly if it is warm and you are sweating.

I have found that I cannot wear contacts regularly, but I can wear them when outside and active, so I usually wear contacts when golfing.

I find that I have trouble with progressives but no problem with prescription or non-prescription sunglasses.

I've never golfed without glasses.

I've never golfed without glasses, and I'm a terrible golfer, but I don't think the glasses are to blame!

I golfed while wearing glasses for many years and it never bothered me, had my eyeballs laser'd so don't need them any more. I wear sunglasses when out on the course but take them off and place them on my cap when hitting, feel like my vision is clearer without them.

The Croakies are a good idea, particularly if it is warm and you are sweating.

I have found that I cannot wear contacts regularly, but I can wear them when outside and active, so I usually wear contacts when golfing.

I'm not sure croakies help that much?

Bottom line, if you move your head so bad that your glasses move then you need to stop moving your head.

I tried the driving range, didn't hit as bad as I expected after 15 years, but there were lots of shots so bad I just laughed out loud. As for the glasses, not sure what to think yet. I hit the ball without glasses, but I wasn't seeing the ball clearly, not good. Progressive sunglassss may be better. Still experimenting.

I need glasses for distance (lose sight of a golf ball at 90 - 100 yards) but am fine up close. So, when hitting the ball, I simply look under the glasses and I then look up to track the ball flight and the glasses take over.

I need glasses for distance (lose sight of a golf ball at 90 - 100 yards) but am fine up close. So, when hitting the ball, I simply look under the glasses and I then look up to track the ball flight and the glasses take over.

LOL... even WITH glasses I lost the ball... I used to have the orange ones which I could see easier, but even then would lose sight of a number of shots.... mostly because the ball did not go where I was aiming and by the time I got my head up I could not see anything!!! Usually I could tell if it was going left or right off the tee which did help when looking for it... :LOL:

I have progressive lens with transitions (change to sunglasses). I wear them when golfing... otherwise I probably couldn't hit the ball.

If you can't even putt with glasses, its probably a glasses problem. They shouldn't fall off so easily. Have your glasses, whichever are the most comfortable, properly fitted at a optician. They will fit the frames to your head so they don't fall off. It makes a huge difference. (I love playing with prescription sunglasses. At least I can find my own ball.)

[If you have them fitted and they keep falling off, your swing may need some work.] ;)

^^ Wasn't an issue at the driving range yesterday (after all). So I guess I'm (still) keeping my head reasonably still. Everything else is going to need some work though...

I was playing a lot when I got my first pair of progressive lenses. My eye guy said I'd never be able to play with the progressives, so I kept a pair of regulars in the bag. However, I'd get home and I'd still have them on while my "new" glasses were in the golf bag.
I tried contacts, but hated them for several reasons, one being that I kept getting gnats in my eyes, which never happened with glasses.

Now I just play with the Varilux. The ball isn't moving, so it really shouldn't matter. I do have to remember not to point my chin down too far at address (to get to the good part of the lens). It's better if I keep my chin up a bit and just swing at the fuzzy ball.

I think any kind of glasses run the risk of distorting vision in the left part of left eye (right handed golfer) so putting takes some practice lining up.

My older brother (69) who has much worse vision than I, swears by his contacts for golf, but he can never see the ball land.

Back
Top Bottom