Greatest bands nobody has heard of

I'm not sure if she's too popular to qualify for this thread, but how about Grace Potter and the Nocturnals? Most of my friends who are into mainstream/radio music don't know who she is.

The Miraculous Hump Returns From The Moon - Fazon - 1973

A great band from San Francisco with a short life - they were one of the first SF bands with a big hit in a time of wonderful music. If you've never heard them before - enjoy!

I remember Sopwith Camel's hit, "Hello, Hello." It was kind of vaudevillian in nature ... this is totally different.

From Wikipedia: "Los Shakers were a popular rock band in 1960s and was a part of the Uruguayan Invasion in Latin America. They were heavily influenced by the look and sound of the Beatles."

Love the "Uruguayan Invasion." You're right, they have that "Beatles '65" sound down.

My college days were in Indiana circa 1980. There were a couple good local bands that *almost* had their breakthrough. From Indianapolis - Roadmaster:
From across the river in Champaign-Urbana - Starcastle. Man I remember
driving over to party at U of I and driving home cross eyed. That was back
when I had hair - lots of it:dance:
[/QUOTE

Big Flashback! My brother had that Starcastle album. Never remember listening to it however.

Hearing it, I would have guessed early Yes

I remember seeing Starcastle in the mid 70s in Macomb, ILL. Home of the WIU Leathernecks. They reminded us of a poor man's YES.

Another popular college band - Clicker. They were out of Wisconsin.

I recall another Midwestern '70s band that had a following in the Tri-state (Illinois-Wisconsin-Iowa) region, The ... Vers. I believe they came out of Wisconsin/Illinois stateline area about the same time Cheap Trick was making a splash. The band was a great live act -- the frontman was a frenetic 6-foot-7 and the lead guitarist had cut his hair and trimmed his eyebrows to look like Mr. Spock. They had a standing date at some bar in Madison, the name of which I forget, and fans used to put bumper stickers on University Drive street signs so they read UniVERSity Drive.

Here's a primitive video of the band from a TV station somewhere in Iowa.

Big Flashback! My brother had that Starcastle album. Never remember listening to it however.

Hearing it, I would have guessed early Yes

I went to a Styx concert 41 years ago this week and if I remember correctly Starcastle was the opening act.

Styx Ticket Stub.jpg

I saw them in concert a couple times. In Canada they could fill a stadium. In the US, they could fill a club. Sad, but true.

I too thought of "The Hip" when I saw this thread. Not only could they fill stadiums in Canada, they managed to get the National broadcaster, CBC, to cancel showing the last Saturday night of the 2016 Summer Olympics to instead broadcast the final Hip concert, uncut and with no commercials, from their hometown (and my hometown as well) of Kingston. It was the final concert of a farewell tour since their lead singer had been diagnosed with terminal, inoperable, brain cancer. He died about a year later. Amazing that a music group could shutdown a country for a night!

The concert video is very moving, especially, if you know that back story. It was unfortunate that they never were able to make a mark in the US as well.

I too thought of "The Hip" when I saw this thread. Not only could they fill stadiums in Canada, they managed to get the National broadcaster, CBC, to cancel showing the last Saturday night of the 2016 Summer Olympics to instead broadcast the final Hip concert, uncut and with no commercials, from their hometown (and my hometown as well) of Kingston. It was the final concert of a farewell tour since their lead singer had been diagnosed with terminal, inoperable, brain cancer. He died about a year later. Amazing that a music group could shutdown a country for a night!

The concert video is very moving, especially, if you know that back story. It was unfortunate that they never were able to make a mark in the US as well.

Ooops, here is the link to that final concert

I'm hitting YouTube a lot in this pandemic summer, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

Jake LaBotz grew up near Chicago's Maxwell Street and was schooled by midcentury bluesmen like David Honeyboy Edwards and Homesick James Williamson. Fans include Sly Stallone and Steve Buscemi, who have cast him in film cameos.

Oops, checking the thread it seems I've already hyped Jake LaBotz. Sorry about that. Here's something else that might be of interest.

Check out the band "Fretland" on YouTube.

Long Haul

Snohomish, WA based band.

Have Another Beer

Last edited:
One woman band:

Oops, checking the thread it seems I've already hyped Jake LaBotz. Sorry about that. Here's something else that might be of interest.

Danny's been dead a long time. I looked it up, he checked out in '94. I used to see him all the time. He was amazing. I remember Guitar Player magazine once called him "The Best Guitar Player You've Never Heard Of" or something like that. He never had any commercial success, but had many much more famous players as fans. I considered myself lucky to live in the DC area at the time, when I could see amazing players like Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanon, Jimmy Thackery, and Tom Principato on a weekly basis.

I saw another good performer a couple of years ago. Not sure if I'll get a chance again, as I tend not to go to shows after someone becomes more famous. And I think she was on her way before the pandemic. I hope she can pick it back up after things calm down.

#1 always on this list (in my head) is King's X. I was a fanatical fan, and yet I only got to see them live once or twice. They *almost* broke through once, got some airplay, then poof - gone forever.

They are still together, but older and unlikely to tour ever again. Two examples for your consideration:

First, cover of Manic Depression from Woodstock '94

Next, We Were Born to be Loved - amazing coordination, tons of false endings. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom