I've had nothin' to hit but the wall
Nothin' to belt but my pants
Nothin' to whip but the cream
Nothin' to beat but the eggs
Oh nothin' to punch but the clock
Oh nothin' to strike but a match
Oh nothin' to hit but the wall...

Masochistic Baby, Shel Silverstein

Maggie May! Wow! You just made my day. Still holds up after 40 years. And Rod can still sing it and make it sound good. Definitely in my all-time top 10 songs.

Thanks for this great rendition.

Last edited:
Maggie May! Wow! You just made my day. Still holds up after 40 years. And Rod can still sing it and make it sound good. Definitely in my all-time top 10 songs.

Thanks for this great rendition.

Glad you liked it. This song's been talking to me for almost 40 years now!

Ha

The following is only half in jest:

I probably shouldn't post to this thread. I love music, and I consider the genre of 'Love Songs' to be among the very worst music ever written. Someone 'in love' has lost all perspective, and most love songs come out as mush written in a trance. Listening to a 'love song' later is like looking back at pictures of the clothes you wore 30 years ago. What was I thinking (I wasn't thinking, I was 'in love')? No one should be allowed to write a song while they are 'in love'. There oughta be a law.

So it might not fit this thread, but what I really love are 'unrequited love' songs, songs about lost love, or break up and broken up songs. For me, those hold up and hold true after they are written. I'll give some examples, but won't post links as they are probably off topic from what this thread is about:

I'm not really an Opera fan, but this one just about brings me to tears: Puccini O mio babbino caro (Renee Fleming does a wonderful version).

And "The Flying Burrito Brothers - Dark End Of The Street ", which is similar to the 60's classic:

Janis Ian - "Society's Child"

And Linda Ronstadt's sassy - "You're No Good" and you can connect the dots to my all-time favorite "I'm so over you" song...

"Already Gone" by the Eagles. You just gotta love a song with the line "then you'll have to eat your lunch all by yourself"! That'll teach ya!

But a bit more seriously, there are some great Love Songs, and some have been posted here, and I couldn't even find a link to my favorite, but here is a cover - originally done by Rod Stewart:

YouTube - Mandolin Wind

What I love about this is no mush - it's about someone who hung by you in bad times. Real Love. Some lyrics:

When the rain came I thought you'd leave
'cause I knew how much you loved the sun
But you chose to stay, stay and keep me warm
through the darkest nights I've ever known
If the mandolin wind couldn't change a thing
then I know I love ya

Don't have much but what I've got is yours
except of course my steel guitar
Ha, 'cause I know you don't play
but I'll teach you one day
because I love ya

-ERD50

So it might not fit this thread, but what I really love are 'unrequited love' songs, songs about lost love, or break up and broken up songs.

Oh, yeah. the "different" love song:

YouTube - Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw - Jimmy Buffett

or even:

YouTube - DAVID ALLAN COE - You Never Even Called Me By My Name

At 1:20-
Well, a friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song
and he told me it was the perfect country and western song.
I wrote him back a letter and told him it was NOT the perfect
country and western song because he hadn't said anything about
Momma, or trains, or trucks, or prison, or gettin' drunk.

Well, he sat down and wrote another verse to the song and he sent
it to me and after reading it, I realized that my friend had written
the perfect country and western song. And I felt obliged to include it
on this album.

The last verse goes like this here:

Well, I was drunk the day my Mom got outta prison.
And I went to pick her up in the rain.
But, before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got runned over by a damned old train.

Ahhh, too many tie-ins to RonBoyd's and my previous post to resist this segue (Steve Goodman and mandolins):

Steve Goodman performing Michael Smith's wonderful love song, "The Dutchman", with Jethro Burns on mandolin.

I realize, the common factor in the two 'Real Love' songs I posted is that they are looking back on love, rather than the infatuation phase of being 'in love'. Just makes for a better song, IMO.

YouTube - The Dutchman Steve Goodman

BTW, that is Jethro Burns of "Homer & Jethro" fame - in addition to the comedy shtick, Jethro was known as one of the best mandolin players on the planet, and he was a great, great jazz player on the instrument. Saw him a couple times (he lived just north of Chicago), and his son (Johnny) had a fantastic country rock band (Wildflower, and a few others, mostly rock) that we saw uncountable times in small clubs in Chicago in the 70's. Chet Atkins was Johnny's uncle. Here's his link, with an acoustic version of a song we loved, 'Freddie's Blues'. Johnny would just burn up that solo for 10 minutes or so on his Strat on some nights.

-ERD50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom