Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart really has the curbside grocery pick up down to a science. Overall I think they do an excellent job. I have tried pick up at several other grocers and Walmart is by far the best and they don't charge for it.

+1. Plus, it works for a bunch of things besides groceries. Right now I have 9V batteries, cable ties (for wrapping my trees to keep the deer off them this winter), and scented wax in my cart. It seems like most everything in the store in fair game anymore.

Walmart really has the curbside grocery pick up down to a science. Overall I think they do an excellent job. I have tried pick up at several other grocers and Walmart is by far the best and they don't charge for it.

+1

My Walmart grocery pickups have been much better and faster than my Kroger ones, so far. Fewer substitutions, slightly lower prices, better designed mobile app, etc. Highly recommended. The only real advantage to Kroger pickup is that they don't have a $35 minimum to avoid fees, but this is rarely an issue since we only do a pickup every two weeks or so.

Speaking of Walmart, I posted this on another thread recently, but it really belongs here. Just an FYI for those having trouble finding certain items in stores.

Rubbing alcohol, TP, paper towels, and hand soap are available at very reasonable prices from Walmart.com. You can pretty easily order these things and get them delivered to your door for free, as long as you put at least $35 of stuff in your cart. I'd suggest going this route for anyone having problems finding these kinds of items in stores. It's not hard to get to the $35 threshold for free shipping. I'm not aware of any other online shopping sites where all these items are available/in-stock at such low prices.

DW uses the Walmart app and you click the "I'm here" thing and it asks you what color is your car and what spot are you in. She says that process might take a few minutes. But if there's an employee done with another delivery, they'll often ask for the name, and come right back with the order.

Our local Walmart doesn't offer that service or I would use them. I keep filling out the Sam's customer survey forms as obviously the curbside technology exists and works at other stores within the Walmart family of stores.

I was physically in a Walmart today.
There was no rubbing alcohol to be found, yet plenty of hand sanitizers.
I did not check on toilet paper.

Sam's curbside worked again for us with no issues yesterday. No employee from the store even came to our car to get our order info before the groceries came out, so they really must have used the app this time. And the order was out in under 10 minutes. The fresh produce wasn't in the best shape, so I'll get that elsewhere going forward, but I'm happy to have their curbside working for staples and freezer goods. The sourdough bread and naan bread we like are less than than half the price at Sam's compared to our local supermarkets.

For anyone that wanted to try Sams Club they have an offer.

I went in the store and signed up for $45, and they gave me a $45 gift card, so basically the membership was free. I immediately shopped and used the gift card along with my Cc to buy some stuff, and bought cheap gas as well.

You do need the coupon, you can get one at: https://specialoffer.samsclub.com/

You do have to do it in the store, I could not find a way to do it online.

......Enjoy

First time since March I've seen a shelf full of Clorox and Lysol wipes in any store :dance:

Still no boneless chicken thighs, though - those disappeared in April and haven't come back yet.

Paper towels are still missing in action around me. Only off brands that no one wants.

First time since March I've seen a shelf full of Clorox and Lysol wipes in any store :dance:

Still no boneless chicken thighs, though - those disappeared in April and haven't come back yet.

For the past many months, I've switched to buying boneless chicken thighs as it's easy to pack a couple into freezer bags since I buy the family pack.

Walmart pickup has had them reliably for months at $1.99 lb.

DW would prefer the boneless skinless tasteless chicken breasts, also at $1.99 but some are so large I have to cut them up before freezing or using.

Made a grocery run this morning, things seem to be back to normal. Found a gigunda-size pack of Bounty paper towels and the store brand 3-ply facial tissues that we normally buy. Those have been scarce until now. Lots of meats, I almost bought a 5-lb. rump roast for stew but it's still a bit early in the season for that - 82° F today, a beautiful clear blue sky with not a trace of clouds. Smoky haze is something we read about but doesn't exist here.

For the past many months, I've switched to buying boneless chicken thighs as it's easy to pack a couple into freezer bags since I buy the family pack.

Those genetically modified boneless chickens lack flavor IMO. :LOL:

Actually, I prefer the ones with the bones, just as I prefer pork shoulders with the bone. That's what keeps me from buying my butts at Costco -- they are all boneless.

Just gave Walmart's curbside service a "3," where previously I've given all 5's.

On two of the flimsy plastic bags, the handles broke while we were carrying them from the car into the house - a distance of about 15 feet. If our reactions were slower, there would have been Greek yogurt all over the floor.

The bagger had put four 32-oz cartons of Greek yogurt in a single bag, and two 42-oz cylinders of oats in another.

Why are they so stingy with bags?

Tried curbside grocery pick-up one time early on. Didn't care for it.
Since then I go inside. Buy considerably more canned goods & meat than normal to reduce the number of times I have to shop.

For items that need to be purchased more often (milk-eggs-bread-bananas-oranges,etc) I stop @ a nearby kwik trip gas station.

Purchase household items like paper towels, TP, & personal items, body wash, deodorant, toothpaste etc. from walmart.com bought a ridiculous amount of those items last time I ordered and I should be good to go well into 2022 :)

Just gave Walmart's curbside service a "3," where previously I've given all 5's.

On two of the flimsy plastic bags, the handles broke while we were carrying them from the car into the house - a distance of about 15 feet. If our reactions were slower, there would have been Greek yogurt all over the floor.

The bagger had put four 32-oz cartons of Greek yogurt in a single bag, and two 42-oz cylinders of oats in another.

Why are they so stingy with bags?

Strange, we get tons of bags from Walmart.
I always figured it was because they shop with the bags in the blue boxes already, so they don't think about packing or weight of the bag.
Often we get 1 thing in a bag, or we get 8 cans in a bag which is too much.

I do have them put the bags in boxes I have in the car. That way I can carry the box into the house instead of 20 bags. Plus it stops the bags from rolling around in the car and dumping out..

We went for a big grocery shopping excursion today because we had to do a distant drop-off of something which brought us close to some major stores.

Publix seems to have dropped their larger obvious mask signage with just a sign inside the door saying masks were appreciated and please distance. However, mask wearing by customers was seemed universal, and all employees were masked. Kroger explicitly stated masks were required on the entrance doors. Customer compliance was 100%.

Stores generally have gotten rid of their one way floor signage for aisles, however they still have clear markings at checkout registers and provide sanitizing materials at entrances.

I noticed that since early Sept our small Walmart has gotten rid of all the poles they had set up as barricades segregating the entrance and exit, except for a barrier inside the store doors dividing the foot traffic. They no longer had an outside section for maintaining a socially distanced line. I no longer noticed signage requiring masks. Most customers wear masks as do all employees. There is lots of signage about social distancing.

I noticed that since early Sept our small Walmart has gotten rid of all the poles they had set up as barricades segregating the entrance and exit, except for a barrier inside the store doors dividing the foot traffic. They no longer had an outside section for maintaining a socially distanced line. I no longer noticed signage requiring masks. Most customers wear masks as do all employees. There is lots of signage about social distancing.
Our local big Walmart is following your small one, with about two weeks delay. After reading your post, I specifically looked for a "mask required" sign(s) at the door on this morning's trip there. No signs. Was surprised, every other grocery store and lots of other stores have signs up. Everyone I saw inside had a mask on, as did I. Saw one guy leaving the store pushing a cart with two hands in the parking lot just 50' or so from the store. If he took off his mask in that 50', I sure don't know what he did with it, no evidence and he kept on moving.

While I'm at it, here's a DFW area Walmart update:
Isopropyl Alcohol - Have been seeing pint bottles of 70% relatively regularly, last two trips saw quarts of 91%, got one last Sunday. Can use it to refresh hand sanitizer that may have lost some of its alcohol due to evaporation, or dilute as desired.
TP - every brand and type.
PT - All the usual brands, the level of Bounty is up and down, they always have the select-a-sheet in some quantity. The full-sheet Bounty is more rare, and when it's in, not much of it. From other store chains around here, it looks like either split-sheets has become most of the consumer market, or they diverted manufacturing priority to it. I need full-sheets for many cleaning duties, oil changes, vehicle work, etc.
Pump-spray disinfecting cleaner - normally unobtainable, but last week a guy was putting GV brand on shelf, I got one. Sunday, was vacant again. Today, they had Lysol brand, maybe 20 of them. I suspect they were put out around 8 AM.

Hand sanitizer - You need hand sanitizer? They have it all over the store, displays all over, they are running out of places to put it. All sizes, brands, pumpers, refills. I don't see anyone looking at it, much less buying any. It reminds me of Shingrix... the company that developed Shingrix, to my knowledge, has not opened up any new plants to manufacture it. Probably because after all the people clamoring for it get it, a second plant or line would be of no use. The capital cost of creating it gone. Idle. Just the main plant/line making it for the ongoing use. But hand sanitizer all sorts of manufactures in at least 3 countries jumped in. Some with dubious intent.

If anything our retail stores are more stringent where we live. Lots of signage, hand sanitizer, etc. Checkout areas are wiped down between customers. Distancing in place at checkouts.

Costco sanitizes the carts between users. They hand out face masks as you enter the store. They limit the number of people in each of the dairy and produce areas at any one time. Other stores sanitize baskets and/or hand out wipes for customer to use on cart handles.

Easier where we live. Masks are mandated in all indoor public areas. Most stores have pickup areas for those who do not wish to enter the store.

People have been complaining about empty paper towel shelves lately (I'm in Canada and our COVID numbers are going up nationwide.), so I ordered Amazon basic paper towels although they cost more. I did it because I didn't want to go to multiple stores all stressed out looking for paper towels.

Publix seems to have dropped their larger obvious mask signage with just a sign inside the door saying masks were appreciated and please distance. However, mask wearing by customers was seemed universal, and all employees were masked. Kroger explicitly stated masks were required on the entrance doors. Customer compliance was 100%.

Stores generally have gotten rid of their one way floor signage for aisles, however they still have clear markings at checkout registers and provide sanitizing materials at entrances.

Publix in S.Fla has abandoned the one-way aisle markers, which never worked anyway. If anything I found their own store employees were the most likely to go charging the wrong way, and a lot of people back track and don't go up and down all aisles anyway.

I'm seeing less instacarters lately, which were the most annoying, as they'd typically block most of the aisle, standing with their cart, their phone out, trying to figure out exactly which jar of peanut butter their customer wanted.

Masks are still 95%, but it's a county law, and the -5% is mostly people who have them off to talk on the phone (...), have their nose exposed, or have it pulled down for whatever reason.

We live in Canada. Went to our local Costco yesterday.

Absolutely STACKS of paper products. Paper towels, bathroom tissues, and Kleenex stacked up high. I could see pallets of paper product at the back ready to come out to the floor (they must be expecting an uptick in sales).

An industry person was quoted as predicting a shortage. Have to wonder if he or she was looking to improve their quarterly sales numbers.

We live in Canada. Went to our local Costco yesterday.

Absolutely STACKS of paper products. Paper towels, bathroom tissues, and Kleenex stacked up high. I could see pallets of paper product at the back ready to come out to the floor (they must be expecting an uptick in sales).

Good for you! Ours is evidently hit and miss. I belong to a local Costco FB group and when people see paper towels or Lysol wipes, they post, but these items are gone in a very short time. Maybe our area has more hoarders. Those items are out of stock online as well.

I also see a lot of people complaining on my FB group that Costco has relaxed their procedures a bit and there seem to be more people milling inside the store and it's more chaotic.

Last edited:
We are still doing Walmart grocery pickup and we were laughing about how many bags they use! Often one item per bag. One time we ended up with a handful of unused bags in the bottom of one with a can of something. I told DH, maybe they know we have a dog and can use all those bags!

Good for you! Ours is evidently hit and miss. I belong to a local Costco FB group and when people see paper towels or Lysol wipes, they post, but these items are gone in a very short time. Maybe our area has more hoarders. Those items are out of stock online as well.

I also see a lot of people complaining on my FB group that Costco has relaxed their procedures a bit and there seem to be more people milling inside the store and it's more chaotic.

Check Costco.com for Canada. I was able to resupply by ordering online.

We are still doing Walmart grocery pickup and we were laughing about how many bags they use! Often one item per bag. One time we ended up with a handful of unused bags in the bottom of one with a can of something. I told DH, maybe they know we have a dog and can use all those bags!

Walmart will take back the grocery bags and recycle them. I just put them in the trunk and ask the Walmart employee who is putting my groceries in the trunk if they will take them and so far they always have.

I recently had my cooler in the trunk for another reason and the Walmart employee asked if I wanted the frozen items put in the cooler--I did not as I was going straight home-- but what a nice service and the employees don't even get tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom