Grocery Stores: The Future?

i never saw or heard of Kroger, are they like costco or BJ's?
Is Rip Van Winkle here?

"The Kroger Company, or simply Kroger, is an American retailing company founded by Bernard Kroger in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is the United States's largest supermarket chain by revenue ($109.83 billion for fiscal year 2016),[4] the second-largest general retailer (behind Walmart)[4] and the twenty-third largest company in the United States.[5] Kroger is also the third-largest retailer in the world.[6] As of December 2015, Kroger operates, either directly or through its subsidiaries, 2,778 supermarkets and multi-department stores.[7] Kroger's headquarters are in downtown Cincinnati.[8] It maintains markets in 34 states."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroger

Often the stores operate under a different name in various markets, usually from the purchase of some regional chain. Here in Seattle area they are QFC (Quality Food Centers), which was a more upscale regional Puget Sound chain, and depending on neighborhood, still is. Store brands carry the name Kroger.

Ha

Last edited:
Is Rip Van Winkle here?

"The Kroger Company, or simply Kroger, is an American retailing company founded by Bernard Kroger in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio. It is the United States's largest supermarket chain by revenue ($109.83 billion for fiscal year 2016),[4] the second-largest general retailer (behind Walmart)[4] and the twenty-third largest company in the United States.[5] Kroger is also the third-largest retailer in the world.[6] As of December 2015, Kroger operates, either directly or through its subsidiaries, 2,778 supermarkets and multi-department stores.[7] Kroger's headquarters are in downtown Cincinnati.[8] It maintains markets in 34 states."

Often the stores operate under a different name in various markets, usually from the purchase of some regional chain. Here in Seattle area they are QFC (Quality Food Centers), which was a more upscale regional Puget Sound chain, and depending on neighborhood, still is. Store brands carry the name Kroger.

Ha

Can't believe anyone hasn't heard the "Let's Go Krogering" jingle. Here's an old Christmas version. Enjoy!

Oh, you'll probably like Wegmans! There's one in northern VA near a relative's house that we go to when visiting them. It's a high-end store with excellent selection and high quality products. It is not cheap though, but we treat ourselves sometimes.

If it's the Wegmans out near Dulles Airport, DW & I used to shop there. It's an all afternoon experience. :LOL:

Does anyone else live near The Fresh Market? I just got a new one 2 miles from my house and it has made me love my location even more. Delivery-schmivery.

We shopped @ Fresh Market when we lived in eastern Tennessee. They're like Whole Foods with slightly less inventory, more gourmet stock & less natural personal care stock.

I have 2 options after being away long enough that the fridge is bare:

1. Pull some chili or one of my homemade pizzas out of the freezer
2. Get takeout on the way home from the airport
Yes we are going to block off part of the freezer not to be used by our tenants.
And coming home from a long trip... that's what take out is for:)
We ordered Greek takeout after getting home. But still nothing for breakfast...
We shopped @ Fresh Market when we lived in eastern Tennessee. They're like Whole Foods with slightly less inventory, more gourmet stock & less natural personal care stock.
Sounds like our Fresh Street Market. 3 blocks from Whole Foods. We also have an Osaka Market, and a City Market. Safeway, IGA and A&P seem to be getting pushed out by these new ones.

Announcement that AMZN is buying WFM came as a shock to me. I was waiting to see if Amazon Fresh would take hold.

Announcement that AMZN is buying WFM came as a shock to me. I was waiting to see if Amazon Fresh would take hold.

This is significant. But clearly fresh couldn't compete with WFN so they just consumed them. But the gains for Amazon will be substantial. A lens into an already successful grocer and the data behind it. Remember Amazon is a data company.

I find most of Aldi's products to be equal or better quality to any other store and I love the size of the store, but I'm interested in what this newcomer Lidl is all about

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-bringing-to-america/?utm_term=.59a5e9d2b730:

The company, which has 10,000 locations in 27 countries, is hoping to win over Americans with its sweeping discounts, modern stores and carefully-curated wines. Its newest supermarkets are concentrated in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina, but 90 more East Coast locations are planned for the coming year.

I find most of Aldi's products to be equal or better quality to any other store and I love the size of the store, but I'm interested in what this newcomer Lidl is all about

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-bringing-to-america/?utm_term=.59a5e9d2b730:

I just wish Aldi would open stores in the Islands. When DW and I visit the mainland and shop at Aldi, our eyes go wide in amazement. Blueberries in season go for a dollar a box while we pay a dollar an ounce in Paradise. Milk was less than $2 last week. We pay $5.50 at Costco and up to $7.50 elsewhere.

I realize the Paradise Tax would apply even to Aldi. So maybe it's just a pipe dream on my part. YMMV

Well, let me correct something I said in the opening comment of this thread..

I look forward to necroposting in 15 years when all my groceries are delivered via self driving cars and/or unmanned aerial vehicles.

I think the 15 years is WAY TOO far off now considering this news. I am adjusting it to within 5 years. And as an aside, when I sold off my AAPL, I split the proceeds between Amazon and Alibaba. The only question in my mind is how long will I hold these? ;)

I find most of Aldi's products to be equal or better quality to any other store and I love the size of the store, but I'm interested in what this newcomer Lidl is all about.
I visited a Lidl in a nearby town yesterday. It seemed similar to the new Aldi stores except you don't need a quarter for the cart and there is a cart corral in the middle of the parking lot. They also bag your groceries like most stores but use brown paper bags instead of plastic. It also had a small bakery section at the entrance.

I visited a Lidl in a nearby town yesterday. It seemed similar to the new Aldi stores except you don't need a quarter for the cart and there is a cart corral in the middle of the parking lot. They also bag your groceries like most stores but use brown paper bags instead of plastic. It also had a small bakery section at the entrance.

Interesting. I am curious about Lidl but the proposed location for ours in where a movie theater sits now and folks aren't happy about the movie theater going away. As a matter of fact, there is an online petition to "Save The Theater!" going around. What's so laughable about that is that the theater was built in the mid 90's (1990's and NOT 1890's)...very historical, you know. :D

We probably won't see Lidl here for a couple of years but every Aldi around, even the newer stores, is currently undergoing renovation. Interesting grocer battles ahead!

Big big Aldi fan here. Lidl sounds very interesting though. It seems odd that they are based in the VA suburbs of DC but won't be opening stores in Md in the first round.

Most curious to me is the penetration of US grocery market by European marketers.

Last edited:
This is significant. But clearly fresh couldn't compete with WFN so they just consumed them. But the gains for Amazon will be substantial. A lens into an already successful grocer and the data behind it. Remember Amazon is a data company.

I think WFN was struggling here in the DC area. AMZN Fresh made a big splash but I'm oblivious to any real presence here. They have a fulfillment center in Baltimore.

I had heard about Amazon testing a grocery store where you didn't need to use a checker. A bit like Sam's Club.

I'm really curious. If Amazon proved to itself that their concept was a huge success, buying Whole Foods is a ballsy move. Bezos is really about making Amazon better.

We have a Lucky's Market near by. 2 bucks for a craft beer draft, glass of wine, or get a speciality coffee. Sip and shop. Good produce, meats, etc. My new favorite place to ship (when they have a good sale)

i never saw or heard of Kroger, are they like costco or BJ's?

Is Rip Van Winkle here?

Ha

Kroger operates the chain called Fry's in Arizona where I live. During my RV treks, I once bought grocery at an unfamiliar store in Colorado, and another time in North Dakota or Montana, and they had a sale on the items I bought. When asked if I had a membership, I said no and added that was because I was from out-of-town. The sales clerks told me to give my phone number anyway, and bingo it showed up in their computers, and I got the sale price. Needless to say, I was impressed.

No Kroger stores where I have been for the last 5 weeks, but we enjoyed shopping in Lidl stores in all the European countries that we visited. What to complain about when one pays something like 0.29 euro for a baguette? The prices and the stocked items varied wildly from store to store though, even in the same country.

Last edited:
Kroger operates the chain called Fry's in Arizona where I live. During my RV treks, I once bought grocery at an unfamiliar store in Colorado, and another time in North Dakota or Montana, and they had a sale on the items I bought. When asked if I had a membership, I said no and added that was because I was from out-of-town. The sales clerks told me to give my phone number anyway, and bingo it showed up in their computers, and I got the sale price. Needless to say, I was impressed.

No Kroger stores where I have been for the last 5 weeks, but we enjoyed shopping in Lidl stores in all the European countries that we visited. What to complain about when one pays something like 0.29 euro for a baguette? The prices and the stocked items varied wildly from store to store though, even in the same country.
And City Market in CO.

I pretty impressed with them. Last week I bought a bag of Macadamia nuts there, a day later their computer calls and suggests the lot I bought is part of a wisteria recall and please return for a refund!

Sure enough it was part of the recall.

City Market rang a bell and was most likely the one I shopped in that RV trip. The clerk correctly surmised that I would most likely have registered with another Kroger store chain where I lived.

Darn, with all the computer record that they keep, they know who is eating broccoli and who has been smoking and drinking. That info must be worth something to somebody.

the lot I bought is part of a wisteria recall and please return for a refund!

Those damn vines are always causing problems! :D

I live quite near Kroger headquarters, so their stores around here are wonderful and keep improving all the time. I love the company (but not the stock). That said, I also do some shopping at other stores like Aldi, Costco, and Trader Joe. Grocery stores are a very tough business. Low margin and extremely competitive. Similar to breweries in that respect, which is a business I know better.

I'll give Kroger credit for one thing in particular. They spend a lot developing their own brand ("Private Selection") and I happen to know one of the people who run that part of their business. Very impressive operation, and in the last nearly 30 years of shopping there, I have never found a Private Selection product that wasn't at least as good as the nationally advertised competitor, sometimes better. The price differential is just a bonus, so I never hesitate to reach for those items.

They also have another store brand (can't remember the name offhand) at a much lower price point, but the quality isn't quite there so I avoid those.

And City Market in CO.

I pretty impressed with them. Last week I bought a bag of Macadamia nuts there, a day later their computer calls and suggests the lot I bought is part of a wisteria recall and please return for a refund!

Sure enough it was part of the recall.

A wisteria recall sounds quite pleasant. Do you mean a listeria recall?

:LOL:

A wisteria recall sounds quite pleasant. Do you mean a listeria recall?

[emoji23]
Auto mistake. Thank you.

Anyways I didn't want it.

Last time I hadn't had something before and got a chance to try it was Salmonella. I also got to try out the gastrointestinal unit of the local hospital for a couple of days. Less fun than most people think.

Back
Top Bottom