Had a new roof installed last week ......

I modeled my house using Sketchup, so I can select all of the roof planes, then it spits out the square footage. The measuring for the model was done while on the ground, plus I got the angles by going to the attic.

We had a hail damage roof replacement and they did it all in ONE day!

How did you measure the angle? A protractor and a plumb bob? This seems pretty neat, I might want to try it myself!

Curious. What does average roof cost to replace today. My 40yr warranty roof, is 35 yrs old now. Live in San Francisco, Bay Area, CA. 1400 sg. ft. House. Roof still looks good.

I realize cost varies based on location, extremes of weather, etc. Just wanted to get
ball park estimate.

Curious. What does average roof cost to replace today. My 40yr warranty roof, is 35 yrs old now. Live in San Francisco, Bay Area, CA. 1400 sg. ft. House. Roof still looks good.

I realize cost varies based on location, extremes of weather, etc. Just wanted to get
ball park estimate.

We paid $7,700 for a 50 yr. roof a couple of months ago. 1900 sq. ft. house, 2 stories, with a bedroom over the garage. According to what I heard, prices quoted can vary wildly for essentially the same job. My neighbor used the same company for her roof just a few weeks earlier. She has about 1600 square feet, one story, plus a shed that they did for "free". $9,000, the second lowest quote. She'd gotten quotes for as high as $12,000 to $15,000.

We paid $7,700 for a 50 yr. roof a couple of months ago. 1900 sq. ft. house, 2 stories, with a bedroom over the garage. According to what I heard, prices quoted can vary wildly for essentially the same job. My neighbor used the same company for her roof just a few weeks earlier. She has about 1600 square feet, one story, plus a shed that they did for "free". $9,000, the second lowest quote. She'd gotten quotes for as high as $12,000 to $15,000.

Great. Can future posters give their State or region. Valuable information for those of us planning future roof replacement. :)

ball park estimate.

Based on your location, you need to at least double (maybe triple?) any numbers you see quoted here.:D

Comparing roofing cost using square footage of the house isn't going to give you any useful information. You need (among other things) to know the square footage of your roof to even start comparing apples to apples, and then other variables could vary costs substantially, even between houses in the same area.

Great. Can future posters give their State or region. Valuable information for those of us planning future roof replacement. :)

<----------------- As listed to the left, NE Ohio.

Based on your location, you need to at least double (maybe triple?) any numbers you see quoted here.:D

Agree, You must have relatives/friends out here. A couple of years ago,
I think a neighbor told me he spent $18,000 on his new roof. And this was not pitched. A "flat top", which I figure would be cheaper. :)

22 squares installed for $12,500 here's in CNY. Included new furnace exhaust pipe and replacing 3 sheets of plywood. 3 peaks. ( one estimator said that's a cost bumo)

60 squares installed for $23k in south central TX. Includes steep charge for ~1/4 roof area. 4 peaks and three dormers, 5 squares were for the shed.

Last edited:
FWIW, 4 years ago I paid $6865 including complete tear off, Ice shield ~ 6 ft on gutter edges and valleys, rest is 15# felt, new drip edge along all edges, 1 lead vent stack flashing. I think it was ~ 25-26 squares. Asphalt shingle with 30 year transferrable warranty. This is in Chicago suburbs.

How did you measure the angle? A protractor and a plumb bob? This seems pretty neat, I might want to try it myself!

I used a string level on a line across the rafters. No degrees, just measured 12 horizontal and then got the vertical distance by holding up a ruler. They build them in increments, like "4 - 12" and the like. So 4 inches up for every 12 inches along. At least the houses I've owned have always had these kinds of "even" pitch.

SketchUp is really fun. And roof building is cool in that you make it flat, then "raise the ridge beam" and it forms the roof. Very gratifying, but can be tedious to learn all the tricks. It helped me to know at the start that I didn't want a result right away, instead just wanted to enjoy the journey. I watched lots of YouTube demos, replicating various things before doing something of my own.

Last edited:
I got tired of replacing my roof every 10-12 years here in Florida. With the harsh sun damage, northeasterns, hurricanes, etc. they don't last long. Even the shingles that had a 35yr warranty. Even if they are a major brand and go bad early like mine they are prorated for the cost of the shingles only which becomes an insignificant cost after 10 years. Finally got smart and bit the bullet for a quality metal standing seam roof.
Now there are no leaks, wind resistant more than any fiberglass shingle, helps reduce heating and cooling costs, and will last beyond my lifetime. I will never have to worry about replacing my roof again. Even though it costs more than fiberglass shingles I will come out ahead since I won't have to pay for another roof replacement.

Cheers!

We replaced a shake shingle roof with a metal roof 20 years ago. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The only problem is a little more noise when it rains hard.

24-inch level and tape measure to get 6 in 12. All of our roofs have same pitch.

I have 5 companies to estimate. Funny how different companies and estimators are. One constant is the roof, beyond that it gets complicated.

I'm thinking of going out and measuring the base of my house today, to get a better idea of how many squares this is.

https://www.calculator.net/roofing-calculator.html

Contractor #3 subscribes to an aerial service, and he was eager to show me the app on his phone. They get aerial view, and then carefully make a drawing that specifies roof area dimensions.

I hope to put summary of all five estimates on line.

It's a shame that black streaks are on so many roofs before their lifespan is actually up.

There are companies that use chemicals to clean and remove algae and other contaminants from your roof. My parents had it done, and the cost was reasonable considering it will only need to be done every few years. The company they went with does not use high pressure water, as that can damage the roof.

For a thread about quotes and estimates, I don't see a single one in this thread.

My roof is about 2300 sq. ft. and a shallow pitch, and I figure it will be over $12,000 for architectural shingles. There's one warped area at the overhang. Another concern is that the tacked-on overhangs on the sides of the house are sagging a few inches, causing the gutters to overflow, so I have to get that fixed first.

The other day, my wife and I received a quote of $52K to install a new roof (3500 sq ft)on our house. The contractor has done some marvelous work for us in the past, but he is not a licensed roof contractor.

We are concerned about insurance, after the roof has been installed. Since the contractor isn't licensed, would our insurance company pay for any repairs that might have to be done?

Thanks,

Roy

PS: I plan to contact our insurance company with this question, but I thought I'd ask here also.

Last edited:
After the 2004 hurricane season ruined our 4 year old asphalt roof with two hurricanes we wanted a standing seam metal roof. The quotes were outrageous because demand was outrageously high.

Being stubborn and frugal, I physically measured over 40 squares and custom ordered standing seam cut to length from Lowe's just before the factory was overwhelmed. $12k

And then I installed the roof and passed all permit inspections by felting over the remaining old shingles. Took 6 months of weekends. Very physically demanding to cut the angles for the 14 different slopes, install, and rivet for additional wind protection. Age 44.

Hurricane tested by Wilma right away in 2005 with no leaks or damage. :dance:
A couple of questions:
When you say "standing seam," I assume you mean the "homeowner friendly" type that uses individual panels which snap down over the edge of the preceding panel as you go, right? No solder, but also no exposed fasteners on the roof deck. I used these to make a small roof for a patio, and they worked great.

I've seen some installations that put the new roofing over thin fanfold insulation placed over the existing shingles (to prevent the steel from getting scratched on the back side, and to smooth out the surface a little). You used roofing felt over the old shingles? In a perfect world, I'd prefer to get some ventilation behind the metal to help keep it (and the roof deck) as dry as possible, but I suppose if the attic is ventilated and there's at least some ability for moisture to get out through the back (i.e. no plastic sheeting, just material with a perm of about 5 or better) it should be okay.
As you've got it installed, can you walk on it without damaging the metal?

I've seen some bad-looking installations of metal roofs on older homes--the shiny metal can really highlight a less-than-flat roof deck. I might look for a product/finish that has low/no sheen for this reason.

For a thread about quotes and estimates, I don't see a single one in this thread.

My roof is about 2300 sq. ft. and a shallow pitch, and I figure it will be over $12,000 for architectural shingles. There's one warped area at the overhang. Another concern is that the tacked-on overhangs on the sides of the house are sagging a few inches, causing the gutters to overflow, so I have to get that fixed first.

The other day, my wife and I received a quote of $52K to install a new roof (3500 sq ft)on our house. The contractor has done some marvelous work for us in the past, but he is not a licensed roof contractor.

We are concerned about insurance, after the roof has been installed. Since the contractor isn't licensed, would our insurance company pay for any repairs that might have to be done?

Thanks,

Roy

PS: I plan to contact our insurance company with this question, but I thought I'd ask here also.
Our roof is about 2,300 sq ft. This is conformed by Tesla estimate as well as by my own measurements. GAF Timberline HD shingles retail for about $4,100. That's 39 squares x 3 bundles each square x $35 a bundle.

Of 5 contractors called, 4 gave estimates. One was not GAF, and he was not too cool.

Contractor B
$10,525 (may need to add $1500 for add'l GAF material and increased warranty.

Contractor C - GAF Master Certified
$14,150

Contractor E - GAF Master Certified
$17,100

Having spoken with each, and understanding all that's involved, each would do the job within approved specs. The higher costs in each estimate, I feel, are primarily due to increased costs for the contractor: labor, overhead, advertising campaigns, and so on.

Our job is complete. The contractor we selected was E. Attached below are some details that may be useful to others. With E, the price was the price. No negotiating. He was very experienced, and probably had to include some extra cost for the distance. The owner and the crew leader were quick to respond and clear up any potential problems. So we have a tight roof (fingers crossed) with transferrable warranty, and that will help sell the house one day.

For the overall experience, everyone seems to lie. For example, one contractor sat at my kitchen table and told me I have a very large roof. He would bet me it was 45 squares. I would have won the bet, as I knew it was likely to be less than 40 squares, just based on a little research. It actually turned out to be 34-35 squares.

Another contractor did not measure anything, but gave me a price that he guaranteed would be the lowest. It wasn't. Never did get to meet the other members of his "geritol gang."

Contractor I used tried to persuade me that it would cost him $500 if I used a Mastercard. So, I replied that it would cost me about the same to write a check and lose points. Therefore, I lied, and he discounted the job $250. Also, he'll send someone to clean off the roof after all leaves have fallen.

Attachments

• roof_est.PNG
    roof_est.PNG
    134.3 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom