Half of people living in Illinois and Connecticut want to get the hell out

Personal preferences...
We live in North Central Illinois, and really like it. Taxes don't affect us.

Smallish town 9000, with a 50,000 "metro" :LOL: population... (the travel area that uses our Best in the Nation new YMCA.)

Every major store and franchise within 2 miles, and one mile in any direction to country roads, and 2 miles to the Junction of interstate highways 39 N/S and 80 E/W. Almost no red lights. People are much nicer than in city areas, and you see lots more smiles. We love the four seasons (2014 winter excluded), and it's 27 miles to our camp on the lake. A wonderful city park for walking and festivities, and rivers for canoeing, as well as bike trails that go from here to Chicago along the Illinois River. Next to Starved Rock State Park... #1 Illinois recreation area. Low house taxes, low crime and good schools.

One more year (winter) in our Florida senior community and then back here to Illinois to serve out our time.

We probably would have been happy to continue to live in our onetime home on Martha's Vineyard, but life didn't turn out that way.

Last edited:
Of course, ultimately it comes down to a single house...
That made me laugh, as it comes quite close to the truth. Even assessing the "worth" of individual towns or cities seems to me an inaccurate exercise at best. In many large cities, there is a significant difference between living in the nice areas and the bad areas, yet people compare cities as if they are homogeneous entities.

That made me laugh, as it comes quite close to the truth. Even assessing the "worth" of individual towns or cities seems to me an inaccurate exercise at best. In many large cities, there is a significant difference between living in the nice areas and the bad areas, yet people compare cities as if they are homogeneous entities.
There are streets/homes in my neighborhood that I wouldn't live on/in...I suspect many would agree.

The planet-country-state-metro-city-neighborhood studies/surveys are useful for narrowing choices in the selection process, that's all they're meant to offer...

The young wife and I quite deliberately chose to move to Connecticut 25 years ago, and we have never regretted it. We love it here and don't plan to leave.

The young wife and I quite deliberately chose to move to Connecticut 25 years ago, and we have never regretted it. We love it here and don't plan to leave.
So you're part of the half that wants to stay. :)

Like I said earlier, we wanted to retire in Mystic, we just concluded we couldn't afford to...

I know several people who would leave IL in a heartbeat if their job wasn't in the area. But with the huge tax/pension/budget problems looming this state is doomed...

I bet this past winter convinced quite a few ILers to leave:)

If you can make a living in Oregon few will leave.

Personal preferences...
We live in North Central Illinois, and really like it. Taxes don't affect us.

Two things going for ya:
- Smaller town, lower (real estate) taxes than a place like Chicagoland
- Retirement exemption income... nice if you are fully retired

I'm still w*rking and family is in Chicagoland. I'd be murdered by the taxes, as my siblings are. With my dad still up there and in decline, I've considered moving back but won't. I spent a lot of time up there this winter and darn near died. I forgot just how brutal the winter was.

Then there is the living expenses. I'd have to have a serious rise in pay, I mean serious to move back. I guess I'm saying the study talks about people moving out, but what about those considering moving in? I think a lot look and say "no".

In another thread, imoldernu pointed out how having a residence during nursing home years can be a shelter for net worth. True. But siblings and I decided to sell dad's home while he is now in care. The carrying costs were killing us. It was just too complex. Dad had a shack of a condo and was paying about $10k in taxes and fees.

Where to live is a fine balance. Once you are elderly proximity to family is very important PROVIDING that they are able to oversee your needs.

The fine balance is the emotional needs of the aged senior, their finances, and their health care needs. No magic bullet.

I must say I am surprised at CT being so high on the list. Been there twice for a day or so seem like a pretty nice place, with an affluent population and good schools.

I am not surprised about IL, I suspect the government and the prospect of higher taxes has a lot to do with it.

None of the places on the bottom of the list Montana, Hawaii, Maine or Oregon surprise me much either.

I left Connecticut in 1981 for a job with Big Oil. Glad I (we) left as each time I go back to visit, more manufacturing plants are shut down, the biggest employer is the city (in my old town), my sister's property tax is about 5% of the value of her home, my nephews can't find decent paying jobs, etc...

But there is a Dunkin Donuts on each corner!

Oh, two nephews left CT last year for work in other states.

Back
Top Bottom