Has anyone here caught the Virus, or know anyone who has?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very close friend tested positive. He is quarantined. Doing well. Symptoms like mild flu. No fever or cough.

I personally know 3 people that have had Covid-19:

1. An elderly acquaintance in bad health--he died.

2. A friend in NY state, age around 50, no other health conditions. He was very sick for weeks with Covid-19. Is now recovering but having lung problems--cannot walk across a room without running out of breath. He is concerned that his lungs may be permanently damaged.

3. One of my best friend's daughter in law is right now in the ICU with Covid 19. Very sick but not on a ventilator yet. She is in her 40s, no other health conditions but she is overweight. She has 3 small children.

When you personally know this many people who are sick and dying it makes an impression. It has made me much more cautious.

When things hit close to home the impression sure does increase ones concern. Do you know how any of these individuals were treated?

When things hit close to home the impression sure does increase ones concern. Do you know how any of these individuals were treated?

The elderly man was in a nursing home, I am not sure if he received treatment, his death was early on. The friend in NY did not go to the hospital, he did not think he was that sick so he received no treatment but now that he has lung problems he is in contact with his doctor to see if there is anything that can be done at this point. The mother of 3 in the ICU is getting all sorts of treatment according to my friend. They are trying to get remdisivir for her but only a few hospitals have it so far.

Nobody personally but my circle is small. My friend's Dad had it - 72, institutionalized psychiatric patient, even was on a vent still lived. Too mean to die I guess.
Indirectly - My ex fil was in a rehab hosp for a broken ankle - the place was hit hard so they tested him he was negative so they discharged him. He died in less than two weeks, prob due to the disruption not covid. He just stopped eating. He was 88. Maybe he would have been ok if he still was there.
I have asthma so it's Instacart for me.

The elderly man was in a nursing home, I am not sure if he received treatment, his death was early on. The friend in NY did not go to the hospital, he did not think he was that sick so he received no treatment but now that he has lung problems he is in contact with his doctor to see if there is anything that can be done at this point. The mother of 3 in the ICU is getting all sorts of treatment according to my friend. They are trying to get remdisivir for her but only a few hospitals have it so far.

I really hope your friend who didn't get treatment heals. It might take a long time, but hopefully his lungs still heal. Sounds like he is very lucky to be alive if he got that bad and still stayed home!

Too bad about the shortage of remdisivir, but to be expected at this point I suppose!

I wonder if it would have helped the NY friend if he had a spirometer at home to work on his breathing during his illness. I imagine they are using one of those now to assist in recovery.

Well, got an update from my sister on her friends husband...

I had mentioned he was on a ventilator and someone had asked why keep him on and I said he was alive...

The update is his Dr had said to not treat him anymore and to let him go... his wife said NO and got another Dr.... he is still alive for now but who knows for how long.. he might be a lucky one but the odds are against him...

DWs friend has it, lives in NJ where there is a lot of it... has not gone to the hospital but probably should... so far she is toughing it out... but says it is really bad.

The update is his Dr had said to not treat him anymore and to let him go... his wife said NO and got another Dr.... he is still alive for now but who knows for how long.. he might be a lucky one but the odds are against him...

DW & I have discussed this conceptually....if it ever comes to that we agree that neither of us would subject the other to a ventilator....."We take our own chances and pay our own dues...."

That makes it 50 times worse.

it does:confused: what if far, far more people actually have/had the virus and didn't know it or had very mild symptoms (like my buddy) and recovered quickly? the numerator suddenly gets very large.

some reports are starting to emerge that X number of deaths attributed to CV19 are in error. I think

there's a difference between dying from CV19 and dying with CV19. we'll likely never know the value of X. are autopsies being done on the victims? my other buddy went to the hospital with pneumonia and while there was tested and was found to have both viruses with the pneumonia the primary threat augmented by the CV19 bug. he recovered at home. had he died would the death certificate COD have shown "pneumonia with complications from CV19" or just chalked up to CV19?

quoting from the Denver Post:

"...The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment is now clarifying that its death tally includes the total number of fatalities among people who had COVID-19, including those deaths in which the respiratory disease was not the cause of death listed on the death certificate...."

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/15/colorado-covid-coronavirus-counting-deaths-fatalities/

granted we'll never know and my point is not to downplay the deaths or any single death. the point is that we don't yet know just how bad CV19 is to any other bug we have encountered or will encounter until we have a fairly accurate idea of infections (the numerator) and deaths from CV19 (the denominator0.

the 1957 and 1968 flu outbreaks each killed ~100,000 in the US. there was no panic, no shutdown of the economy, no physical distancing, etc. I remember 1968, to young in 1957. could those measures have saved anyone? no way to tell but I think when this is all said and done we're going to find that we as a nation over reacted.

Well, got an update from my sister on her friends husband...

I had mentioned he was on a ventilator and someone had asked why keep him on and I said he was alive...

DWs friend has it, lives in NJ where there is a lot of it... has not gone to the hospital but probably should... so far she is toughing it out... but says it is really bad.

I know of a local fellow that is over 17 days and going on a vent. They have taken him off a couple times but he can't make it on his own...then they put him back on or they have so far.. I don't know at what point they decide it's hopeless.

Our son and DIL have been going everywhere, doing everything, acting normally. They do wear masks in stores, etc. But they have not been staying at home. Son was furloughed but his employer got a PPP loan so everyone was called back with lots of precautions and fewer people in the building.

He called to tell us that everyone was sent home early today. A co-worker had pre-op testing for a medical procedure and he tested positive for Covid-19. The co-worker hasn't been sick except for a couple of migraines, which he's had before.

So this is a step closer for our son and his family. And I guess that makes it closer to us, too. We were doing really well keeping our social distance from them. If they came over with our grandson we chatted in the driveway or on the deck. Then they needed us to take the baby all day a few times. Lots of hand washing for all of us. Then we went to their house for Mothers Day and it was so nice to spend time with them like normal.

Uh, oh. I'm not going to fret over this, we will continue to be careful and stay at home.

Last edited:
4 family members have it. Brother in law, sister in law, nephew (22) and niece (20). They live about 3.5 hours from us. No contact.

Here is how it went. Interesting occurrences.

Brother in law wakes up a couple Saturday's ago and has no memory of the previous day. They take him to the Emergency Room. Suspected stroke. Do tests (no covid test) and send him home. Further tests later show the stroke, no known cause they could say. Never a mention of testing for covid at any of multiple doctor appointments.

Nephew loses taste and smell senses, achy, (no covid test) not in direct contact with known case. Nevermind his dad.

Sister in law gets cough, achy, weak. (no covid test) not direct contact with known case. Nevermind her husband and son with symptoms.

Niece gets cough, achy, weak. She works at a health care provider. She is tested. Has covid. Finally someone tested.

Now whole family (one additional child age 17) is on 14 days lockdown. This all spanned 2 weeks, so dad continued to go to work (large retail).

You can completely understand why this is going to keep spreading. Denied tests if you have direct symptoms. Frustrating. They call and say brother in law had a stroke. I say " did they test for covid?". How is this not top of mind today?

Oh well, carry on.

Luckily, symptoms have been mild except for the stroke from brother in law. He is likely the first to contract it. But, he still denies it. Pretty rare to have a stroke at age 50 out of the blue. But I read about people with no symptoms having clots/strokes in the denser covid areas.

I personally know 3 people that have had Covid-19:

1. An elderly acquaintance in bad health--he died.

2. A friend in NY state, age around 50, no other health conditions. He was very sick for weeks with Covid-19. Is now recovering but having lung problems--cannot walk across a room without running out of breath. He is concerned that his lungs may be permanently damaged.

3. One of my best friend's daughter in law is right now in the ICU with Covid 19. Very sick but not on a ventilator yet. She is in her 40s, no other health conditions but she is overweight. She has 3 small children.

When you personally know this many people who are sick and dying it makes an impression. It has made me much more cautious.

Good news on the friend's daughter in law. She is now out of ICU but still having some breathing difficulties. Her husband has now come down with Covid and is pretty sick but not yet hospitalized. The 3 children are OK so far.
The daughter in law had been going into her office some before she got sick and that is where they think she got the virus.

My neighbor where I used to live got the virus. He's almost 60. Very active, no other health conditions. He said it was the sickest he has ever been in his life and completely lost all energy. Went to the ER and they sent him home to prevent him from infecting others. He truly thought it was going to kill him and he got pretty scared. He began telling his wife how to manage/take care of all the things around the house and yard since he thought he was checking out. She got mad at him and said she did not want him to say anything more about him dieing or how to manage the house. He told me this after he had recovered. I think he made a full recovery.

1. 71 year old colleague. Last I saw him, he seemed to be in good health (a couple of years ago). Lived in NYC. He died.

2. 34 year old friend, health care profession. She could probably lose 10 pounds, but is otherwise healthy. She hasn’t tested positive for it, but we are sure he has it. She’s had to cut back from 40 to 10 hours a week. Said it was the worst illness she ever had.

3. A couple in Brooklyn, one is 36 (has Crohn’s), the other is 41. Both had it (confirmed, antibodies), toddler in the house. Toddler didn’t get it. They said it was the worst illness they ever had.

4. A family in our suburban town. Two adults in their forties, two kids in their early teens. One kid is fine, one still needs 14 hours+ a day of sleep. One adult (super fit) is fine. One (a little overweight) gets winded easily. Said it was the worst illness they ever had.

1. 71 year old colleague. Last I saw him, he seemed to be in good health (a couple of years ago). Lived in NYC. He died.

2. 34 year old friend, health care profession. She could probably lose 10 pounds, but is otherwise healthy. She hasn’t tested positive for it, but we are sure he has it. She’s had to cut back from 40 to 10 hours a week. Said it was the worst illness she ever had.

3. A couple in Brooklyn, one is 36 (has Crohn’s), the other is 41. Both had it (confirmed, antibodies), toddler in the house. Toddler didn’t get it. They said it was the worst illness they ever had.

4. A family in our suburban town. Two adults in their forties, two kids in their early teens. One kid is fine, one still needs 14 hours+ a day of sleep. One adult (super fit) is fine. One (a little overweight) gets winded easily. Said it was the worst illness they ever had.

Just to add some balance...HS classmate and DW..both late 60's.. live in state that encourages testing just because you want one. He works in a semi-exposed job. They feel fine but decide to do a test...both test positive. Spend their quarantine at home with no issues...then back to regular life.

Just to add some balance...HS classmate and DW..both late 60's.. live in state that encourages testing just because you want one. He works in a semi-exposed job. They feel fine but decide to do a test...both test positive. Spend their quarantine at home with no issues...then back to regular life.

good for them but are they going to get re-tested?

Some forum members, myself included (onset of Jan. 10th right after getting an MMR vaccine), suspect they had it already and have lived to tell the tale. I've certainly felt much worse from other viruses, some requiring a visit to the doctor. I didn't have a fever, so I didn't feel sick or suspect that I had a virus, which may have had unfortunate consequences for others, but I'll never know. :(

Lately DeWine has had recovered non-elderly coronavirus patients who had to be on a ventilator speak of their horrible experience try to make the point that even the young can get seriously ill from this. However, I doubt that most people even bother to watch the press conferences. Looking at these people, they weren't the picture of health to begin with. One was a moderately overweight ER nurse who had worked with coronavirus patients, in such denial that he could have COVID-19 that he waited until he almost couldn't breathe before he consented to have his wife call 911. This didn't happen overnight. He steadily got worse and worse for more than a week. :facepalm:

Context and hearing from all sides is so important to the big picture.

A former co-worker and her husband were seriously ill in February. Their doctor gave them the antibody test last week. Both tested negative. Doc said only 13 people in his practice tested positive for antibodies so far.

A grandnephew by a former marriage. (Hmmm... since my niece and the grandnephew's father divorced several years ago, is he still a relative?) Anyway, he was 38, overweight, diabetic, contracted COVID-19 and died.

Our county statistics show:
Of a population of ~150,000 people
-497 cases positive
-7 deaths
-5 hospitalized
227 of those cases age group: 21-40 yrs old
35 cases: 10 years and younger
22 cases: 61-70 years old
Seem like our county is an anomaly
One of those 7 deaths was a friend from many years back.

75 year old brother of DW's best friend died of CV19 last week after spending 34 days on a ventilator. No underlying health issues.

34 days!

Gosh - that’s just a nightmare.

This virus is just unpredictable. Lots of unexpected/atypical victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom