HC %

10.5% for the premium only; does not include any cost share within the plan.

About 15%, and we have partial support from the former employer.

For those that have RE that do have to buy their own HC insurance without any former employer or medicare assistance, what percentage of your yearly spenditure is HC?

Just to toss in a little factoid........

My Medicare Part B + type F supplement + Part D + IRMAA costs me significantly more than my buddy pays for his silver plan through the ACA (after his subsidy). I'm glad for Medicare, believe me, but you can't always assume that we Medicare geezers are all getting a free ride!

Medicare costs DW and I about 8% of our non-tax spending, a higher percentage than we were counting on but which we've learned to accommodate.

Last edited:
HC insurance costs us $20,100/year or about 16.67% of annual income. 2017 was a odd year, DW had some dental issues and cataract surgery, so OOP was about $7,000 more.

0% for 2018. We qualify for the top end of the ACA subsidy, which covers our entire premium, as long as we keep our income below 62K for the year. I monitor it pretty close during the year. If it looks like we're burning through more or we need a little extra, I'll get it from my Roth IRA.

Next year, the other half is going to file for his pension which will allow us to go back on FEHB as we were before he retired.

0% for 2018. We qualify for the top end of the ACA subsidy, which covers our entire premium, as long as we keep our income below 62K for the year. I monitor it pretty close during the year. If it looks like we're burning through more or we need a little extra, I'll get it from my Roth IRA.

Next year, the other half is going to file for his pension which will allow us to go back on FEHB as we were before he retired.

For people following along, what number of people are you insuring for zero dollars on a 62K income, it has to be more then 2.

Just to toss in a little factoid........

My Medicare Part B + type F supplement + Part D + IRMAA costs me significantly more than my buddy pays for his silver plan through the ACA (after his subsidy). I'm glad for Medicare, believe me, but you can't always assume that we Medicare geezers are all getting a free ride!

Medicare costs DW and I about 8% of our non-tax spending, a higher percentage than we were counting on but which we've learned to accommodate.

This little gem can also trip up people who's employer paid 100% of HI when working. Retiring at 65 and not getting employee insurance, don't assume your costs will be negligible.

For people following along, what number of people are you insuring for zero dollars on a 62K income, it has to be more then 2.

$64960 is the subsidy cutoff for two people for 2018, if it's a lower cost bronze plan I can see where they might pay $0.

$64960 is the subsidy cutoff for two people for 2018, if it's a lower cost bronze plan I can see where they might pay $0.

The original posted said top end, which isn't a bronze and at 64K I don't believe you are going to pay nothing for a bronze.....

The original posted said top end, which isn't a bronze and at 64K I don't believe you are going to pay nothing for a bronze.....

You'll pay zero or close to it for a bronze plan here in AZ for two people with an income of $62K.

6% for insurance off the exchange

2% for out of pocket expenses

We expect it to decrease a bit going forward - DW went on a medicare advantage plan and DS should be on his own next year.

You'll pay zero or close to it for a bronze plan here in AZ for two people with an income of $62K.

They wouldn't be that cheap in this state...MN...........

My first year of RE: my premiums ($230 per month) were about 40% of my income! Yes. That was before the ACA. Once the ACA kicked in, my premiums went to near $0 per month. WooHoo !

It's just the two of us. We purchased a Cigna Bronze plan here in Missouri. The monthly premium ($1260.52) comes in under what we are qualified for with a subsidy, that why it's $0.

Of course if we come in over the 400% FPL, all bets are off and we have to pay back the yearly cost of all the premiums.

Last edited:
It's just the two of us. We purchased a Cigna Bronze plan here in Missouri. The monthly premium ($1260.52) comes in under what we are qualified for with a subsidy, that why it's $0.

Of course if we come in over the 400% FPL, all bets are off and we have to pay back the yearly cost of all the premiums.

Got it I was confused when you mentioned high end, which in my mind would be a sliver plan with perhaps a cost share.

Back
Top Bottom