He just retired-I am going NUTS!!

By all means gently suggest volunteering; but don't tell him to do it. No sane person wants to be married to a controlling spouse (husband or wife).
Ah, but many are! Recently we have seen that attempting to control near adult children is not unknown among some of our members. Spouses, given that they have the power to hurt one financially, sexually, and other ways likely escape a good bit of this, but not all.

When I first came to this board I remember reading a post by some husband announcing that he would make his wife do this or that. Wow, I thought. Best of luck mi amigo, may your guardian angel have compassion and make bail for you.

There are many advantages to being married, but also a few meaningful disadvantages!

Ha

Last edited:
Looks like another OPT (One-Post Troll). The OP hasn't been back after starting this thread with his/her only post on the board four days ago.

Attachments

• Talk amongst yourselves.gif
    Talk amongst yourselves.gif
    2 MB · Views: 56
Looks like another OPT (One-Post Troll). The OP hasn't been back after starting this thread with his/her only post on the board four days ago.

Perhaps the subject was broached. A struggle ensued......

then they sat down for hot chocolate and worked things out

I don't consider a one-poster a troll. Just someone who decided this wasn't the place for them. Trolls are intentionally stirring up controversy by advocating tendentious POVs.

Yeah, that's not a troll. Trolls make posts that are designed to aggravate people and stir up conflict. For instance, if someone made a thread about how early retirees are lazy, selfish, or a drain on society, that would be a troll. I don't think I've ever seen an actual troll on this site. You're fortunate.

That was just someone who posted once, then abandoned her thread. I don't know what you call that.

My guess is she posted in a moment of frustration, then felt regret or exposure, and didn't want to discuss it further. Who knows.

"Not enough money. Too much husband."

A quote from DW shortly after I retired (the money part was just that I wasn't getting paid - we are FI). We were both at Myrtle Beach last week. She's home now. I'm still here. We're working it out quite nicely. :flowers:

I think the OP was just "going NUTS" and did a google search and found this board. She aired out her grievance, and hopefully felt better and is back into the loving embrace of DH. Or maybe I'm projecting...

This board has seen trolls, oh yes it has. I especially remember a few years back that kind of went like: "I'm making 10% a month and it is awesome... Come join me!"

Or a "sock puppet" account created by one of our regular members who did not want to post under her regular account? Perhaps too much personal information being divulged ?

Perhaps it is someone attempting to troll but who is not all that proficient at doing so? Another possible example: http://www.early-retirement.org/for...k-to-low-paying-but-beloved-career-90860.html

But as you say, who knows...

Yeah, I suppose it's possible that they could be an inept troll -- a troll who can't even manage to get anyone stirred up. But I define trolls by their effect -- they are people who try to aggravate or stir other people up. If they aren't doing that, or even seeming to try to do that, then they're not really trolls. I don't perceive either of those posters as trying to provoke or aggravate people.

Lots of people make one or two posts then never post again. I wish they wouldn't do that. If you create a thread asking for input, it's only decent to stick around and participate in the discussion. Lots of people just create a thread then bail out, though, for whatever reason.

Last edited:
My "DGF" of 20 + years left corporate years ago to try a new line of work with a goal of eventually owning her business. Long story very short after a couple years of me suggesting a plan B, I was told to mind my own business. I let her know when I'm done. Well, I pulled the plug 4 years ago and she has no end in sight.

Lots of people make one or two posts then never post again.

Made me look.

The members list shows a total of 28,297.

Members with 1 post = 3.7%
Members with 2 posts = 3.8%
Members with 0 posts = 65.4%

Nothing here to really shine any light on the troll question, just interesting (to me) stats.

Made me look.

Nothing here to really shine any light on the troll question, just interesting (to me) stats.

Thats an interesting stat.

Made me look.

And there are also some with tens of thousands of posts.
Any way to tell what the overall average is?

Any way to tell what the overall average is?

Sure. Go here... Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - Members List ... add all the posts and divide by 28,297. :)

AndyR (owner of Social Knowledge, the company that owns this forum) does have some stats, but they may be outdated as they don't jive precisely with what is shown on the members list. Early Retirement Forums - Social Knowledge

Using his stats the average number of posts per member is around 50.

Even more interesting would be to know who has the most posts that just say "+1".

Sure. Go here... Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - Members List ... add all the posts and divide by 28,297. :)

AndyR (owner of Social Knowledge, the company that owns this forum) does have some stats, but they may be outdated as they don't jive precisely with what is shown on the members list. Early Retirement Forums - Social Knowledge

Using his stats the average number of posts per member is around 50.

REWahoo - looks like you are the #1 poster. Not sure what prize you get for that...:D

Why is he retired, if you guys still need the money? You say you're working because you need the money, not because you want to. So it sounds like the family isn't in the position for both of you to be retired.

I know that circumstances intervened to cause his early retirement, but is he unable (or unwilling?) to work at some other job, even part-time? Can't he pitch in at all, so that the burden of working is shared? Or does he have some medical condition that prevents him from working?

+1

I agree OP should get that Bum working. They NEED the 2 incomes, or she is going to have to work 8 more years, (her 4 more and his 4 more) to build up their savings.

Back
Top Bottom