Healthy Drinks

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Coffee! :D Make that a Grande por favor.

Findings, conducted by researchers at the Kasier Permanente, in Oakland, California, are thought to be the largest study to look at the inverse relationship between coffee and cirrhosis. The link was first reported by researchers at the same institute in 1993 but this new study - of 125,000 people over 22 years - "solidifies the association", Arthur L Klatsky, the lead author of the study, said. Drinking as little as one cup of coffee a day could help protect you from liver disease caused by alcohol, according to research published today.

People who drink one cup of coffee are 20% less likely to have alcoholic cirrhosis than those who abstain from doing so.

And the protective effect increases with the more coffee you drink: People who drink two or three cups a day are 40% less likely to contract cirrhosis, while those who drink four or more cups are 80% less likely to suffer the disease.

Drinking tea had no effect, suggesting the ingredient that protects against cirrhosis is not caffeine.

The researchers go on to caution that this is not an endorsement to start drinking alcohol and coffee in excess - there are other negatives involved in drinking too much alcohol and coffee

I just knew that coffee is good for me and probably in more ways than mere scientific research can prove - I know in my gut that it protects me from many harmful afflictions. For one thing it helps me to stay uprightl for long periods ;)

Caf not a factor

Probably will isolate the factor and put it in a pill - not for me!
Muy grande cafe con leche camarero!

IntoTheMystic said:
Muy grande cafe con leche camarero!

Everything I know about Spanish I learned while watching Sesame Street (more or less). When I read this, I pictured a young man speeding down the highway in a red Camero, trying not to spill his foamy Starbucks latte.

astromeria said:
Everything I know about Spanish I learned while watching Sesame Street (more or less). When I read this, I pictured a young man speeding down the highway in a red Camero, trying not to spill his foamy Starbucks latte.
Si', Mi camarero camarera, Mi cafe con leche and mi Camero Camaro, más abajo al aire libre 8) :D :LOL:

Beer and liquor may boost colon cancer risk
But red wine appears to have protective effect, researchers say

NEW YORK - Beer and spirits drinkers face a higher risk of colorectal tumors, but wine drinkers may have a lower risk, according to a report in the American Journal of Gastroenterology.

“Alcohol is pernicious with regard to colorectal” tumors, Dr. Joseph C. Anderson from Stony Brook University, New York told Reuters Health. “Lifestyle plays a role as genetics does in the development” of these tumors.

Dr. Anderson and associates investigated the impact of regular alcohol consumption on colorectal tumors in 2,291 patients undergoing screening colonoscopy.
Story continues below ? advertisement

Patients defined as heavy beer or spirits drinkers had more than twice the risk of developing significant colorectal tumors, compared with abstainers or moderate consumers, the authors report. Moderate wine drinkers, on the other hand, faced about half the risk experienced by abstainers.

Colorectal tumors were also associated with age older than 60 years, smoking and obesity, the report indicates.

The investigators note that “patients who regularly drink spirits have an increased risk for significant colorectal (tumors) and perhaps should be targeted for risk modification by their gastroenterologist in addition to their primary care physician.”

In fact, Anderson noted, “I would target anyone who has more than one beer or drink per day.” He added that he and his colleagues are currently comparing the effects of red and white wine.

Red wine, “due to high levels of (the natural antioxidant) resveratrol,” he added, should be even more protective against colorectal tumors than white wine.
Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

Back
Top Bottom