Help with Information about Cleveland, Ohio

1242Vintage

Full time employment: Posting here.
Need some intel from any of my fellow retirees from Cleveland, Ohio.

Situation is my lovely daughter received an awesome nursing job offer from the Cleveland Clinic hospital. She currently lives in Baltimore and is graduating this month. We live in California and know nothing about Cleveland.

Wife and daughter are meeting in Cleveland next week so daughter can get a tour of the hospital and talk to a few nurses.

When they are there wife and daughter want to look at apartments too … but have no clue where in the City to even start the search.

Anyone have suggestions for a nice safe neighborhood where a perky 22 year old nurse might be happy? Looking to get her within a short 15 or 20 minute drive to the hospital or closer.

Any other info appreciated too.

Thanks

Just googled Cleveland Clinic and found they have multiple locations. You might get some better info if you can narrow down the specific location where your daughter will be mainly working.

Assuming your daughter will be working at main Cleveland Clinic campus, you might check out Shaker heights area. Here are crime stats, sounds safer than average place in USA or in Ohio generally: https://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/ohio/shaker-heights.html

Also suggest if your daughter has a contact or two already at the Clinic she ask them about neighborhood suggestions and information sources.

Just googled Cleveland Clinic and found they have multiple locations. You might get some better info if you can narrow down the specific location where your daughter will be mainly working.

She will be working at the main campus at 9500 Euclid Ave.

And thanks for the link to crime stats. Appreciate that.

Last edited:
Assuming your daughter will be working at main Cleveland Clinic campus, you might check out Shaker heights area. Here are crime stats, sounds safer than average place in USA or in Ohio generally: https://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/ohio/shaker-heights.html

Also suggest if your daughter has a contact or two already at the Clinic she ask them about neighborhood suggestions and information sources.

Back in the 1970s, Shaker Heights was the ritziest place in the Cleveland area, if not the whole northern part of Ohio. That was a long time ago, but some exclusive areas last a looong time.

Getting local info from people who work there is a great idea. They would also know the traffic patterns.

Researched a bit more and found University Heights and Cleveland Heights neighborhoods also had some better crime stats compared to other areas. Both of these neighborhoods are east of the Cleveland Clinic main campus area. If you google for University Heights apartments, I am sure you can get an idea then of specific locations and then distance from Clinic and probably info on drive times. As well as more general neighborhood information.

For example, info on University Heights: https://www.apartments.com/3718-washington-blvd-university-heights-oh-unit-up/yq9gfjs/#guide

And one apartment, for example, that looks to be a fairly straight shot on Cedar Road west to Cleveland Clinic 9500 Euclid Ave: https://www.apartments.com/3718-washington-blvd-university-heights-oh-unit-up/yq9gfjs/

Or another apartment also near Cedar Road a bit west and a bit closer to Clinic, and called in Cleveland Heights: https://www.apartments.com/2181-rexwood-rd-cleveland-heights-oh/b3y7etc/

And this bio of Cleveland Heights: https://www.apartments.com/2181-rexwood-rd-cleveland-heights-oh/b3y7etc/#guide

As father of two daughters I can appreciate your concern about your daughter's living arrangements. I drove one daughter 2200 miles from Oregon to Bloomington Indiana in her car so she could get started on her Cello Performance Certificate (post master's degree level) at Jacobs School of Music at Indiana U. Once she was set up there I flew back home. Fast forward a couple years, she came back to Oregon. This time she drove herself "and" her 9 month old cat/kitten in the same car back across country. She and the cat and the car all survived the trip without incident!

Congratulations to your daughter at landing a job at one of the most prestigious medical facilities in the country!

Last edited:
Congratulations to your daughter at landing a job at one of the most prestigious medical facilities in the country!

Thank you for the research and help finding an apartment near her new job. Forwarded to both daughter and wife.

It’s an exciting time for us to see how high this kid can fly.

East side = lots of snow. West side = some snow, but not like the East side. All the places being mentioned are East side, so you might want to think about a 4wd car.

I grew up in University Heights and DH grew up in Cleveland Heights. My sister lives in Shaker Heights. I currently live outside of Akron which is about 30 miles south.

Congratulations to her for getting her first job at Cleveland Clinic! Cleveland Clinic has a wonderful reputation around here. The main campus is huge and they keep gobbling up more property and expanding. They also have taken over some other hospital systems outside of Cleveland, including Akron General Medical Center (hip replacement #2 in 2019).

I have no knowledge about the current apartment situation. The suggestion from another poster to ask other nurses would be most helpful. As for neighborhoods, Cleveland Heights and University Heights have a lot of residential areas and little industry. Shaker Heights is also near those two and has the advantage of the Rapid Transit system. It's light rail for commuters to downtown, including University Circle which is very close to Cleveland Clinic. Cedar Road is the main road running from University Circle area out to the Eastern suburbs. There are traffic lights the whole way and if you don't time it right it can be a long commute. Mayfield Road and Euclid Ave also run east to the suburbs, but the fastest route is I-90 (The Shoreway) if you need to get to the outer suburbs.

One place to avoid moving to is the city of East Cleveland. It has a long history of poverty and not being able to generate enough tax revenue to support basic services.

This won't help in finding an apartment but if you get a chance to wander around, take a drive around "University Circle" which is named for Case Western Reserve University. The area includes the fantastic Cleveland Art Museum (that's the one with the big lagoon out front), the Natural History Museum, Cleveland Institute of Music and Severance Hall where the Cleveland Orchestra plays. Take a drive north on Martin Luther King Blvd which is an old curving route that winds through some beautiful cultural gardens dedicated to the various ethnic groups that settled in Cleveland.

If you're interested in seeing classic big mansions take Cedar Road east, up the big hill and turn right on Fairmount Blvd. This goes all the way out to Shaker but the best ones are in Cleveland Heights. Head back on North Park Blvd (Shaker Lakes area) through Shaker Heights and you'll end up back in University Circle.

BTW, University Circle is where you find museums, Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals and near to Cleveland Clinic main campus. On the other hand University Heights is a suburb on the east side and it's named for John Carroll University, a private Jesuit college.

Came back to add that I do know someone in an apartment. My nephew lives in an apartment in Mayfield Heights, right by Hillcrest Hospital, another one taken over by Cleveland Clinic. Nice affordable apartment in a great neighborhood near major freeways. I hope other nurses can give her better advise than I can!

Last edited:
East side = lots of snow. West side = some snow, but not like the East side. All the places being mentioned are East side, so you might want to think about a 4wd car.

Good point, micro-climates are certainly another thing to consider.

Since the work location is already on the east side, I for one would not want to have to battle traffic congestion every single day to get by/through downtown Cleveland going from west side to east side. I would gladly face a "possible" few more snowflakes than an almost certain traffic commuting time delay all the time! Besides, the east side has several decades of experience dealing with whatever snow they "may" get.

Now, perhaps there are desirable apartment locations on the "south side" that might be a decent commute to Cleveland Clinic on east side, and without the hassles of getting through/by downtown center congestion?

Thanks everyone for sharing your insight on Cleveland. It’s helping us arm our daughter with info on the City for her visit next week.

I would assume that an outfit as big as CC would have an HR department that deals with relocation, house search, moving, where to go etc.

I grew up in Cleveland Heights. There were a series of bus lines that were great. Frequent runs, low cost and safe. The Rapid Transit is also good, but I don't think it goes by the clinic.

Thank you to everyone who provided information about Cleveland. Very helpful.

Wife and daughter are headed to Cleveland on Wednesday and daughter will be making a visit and speaking to nurses at Cleveland Clinic for a few hours on Thursday. Following the visit they will be looking at apartments in the surrounding communities.

In a wild turn of events, right before graduation at Johns Hopkins this morning, daughter received another job offer. This one from Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. So Mom and daughter are extending their cross country travels to include a couple days in Rochester, Minnesota.

We are a little sad that daughter won’t be coming back to California to live and work, but happy at the same time that the girl who had to work so hard to overcome her severe hearing loss is now getting these huge job opportunities.

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation. She must be really something special to be receiving offers from Cleveland Clinic and Mayo--after getting out of Johns Hopkins.

All three are the absolutely top of the line when it comes to medicine.

I live and worked in Cleveland. I was a pipefitter. I traveled East, West and south. I would suggest the near west side. Brooklyn, Parma and Cleveland. Cleveland is not like most cities. The traffic is very light. Housing is affordable. Rents are cheap and wages high.
I can get downtown in 35 minutes from the most outer ring suburb on the West side.

Ontario street is zero everything goes East and West from there.

Don’t tell anyone, this way it stay that way.

I live and worked in Cleveland. I was a pipefitter.

I had a friend whose relatives were mostly pipefitters from Cleveland. Once a group of us were visiting Cleveland and we needed a place to get lunch. He said there was no question about that -- we should go to the deli "where the pipefitters go".

Well, OK, we took a chance and he was absolutely right. I had one of the best sandwiches I've ever had in my life. Combination corned beef and tongue. Someone else had the pastrami and said it was also a religious experience. So based on that, I have the greatest respect for your comrades! I only wish I could remember exactly where it was.

I’m going to take a guess. It was Slymans on East 30th.

Quite possible. Or maybe Jack's Deli on Cedar Road. I've never been sure since it was a long time ago.

One of these days I should go up there and check out some of those places and see if any of them ring the memory bell.

Jack’s Deli! When my parents were alive they lived in the neighborhood off Cedar. Jack’s was one of their weekly lunch places. Mom would get blintzes, Dad got corned beef or chopped liver. And the best half sour pickles ever.

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation. She must be really something special to be receiving offers from Cleveland Clinic and Mayo--after getting out of Johns Hopkins.

All three are the absolutely top of the line when it comes to medicine.

Thank you for your kind words. I have no idea how she does it. She has a severe hearing loss … diagnosed at 1 year old … but hasn’t let that loss limit her in any way.

Today she is job shadowing at Cleveland Clinic and will be making her decision on where to work this afternoon. Anxiously sitting here In California waiting for her to FaceTime me with the good news.

Thank you for your kind words. I have no idea how she does it. She has a severe hearing loss … diagnosed at 1 year old … but hasn’t let that loss limit her in any way.

Today she is job shadowing at Cleveland Clinic and will be making her decision on where to work this afternoon. Anxiously sitting here In California waiting for her to FaceTime me with the good news.

I echo the congratulations on your daughter's invitations from "two" of the most prestigious clinics not only in the country, but the world.

Do let us know which good news she conveys. :)

Back
Top Bottom