Honda CR-V Owners

Late to the party - but we were looking at smallish/mid size SUVs in late 2019 for DH.

He's tall (6'4" and long legged) - and test drives quickly eliminated the CRV because he didn't fit well in it... Even talked to the sales guy about whether it would void the warranty if he modified it so the drivers seat rails were 2-3 inches further back. He could not get the drivers seat back far enough that his knees didn't hit the steering wheel. (Yes - it would void the warranty. LOL).

He has *no* issue fitting in the RAV4 he purchased. He opted for regular vs hybrid - but the price differential was greater at the time.

Good luck and happy driving with your purchase.

Chuckanut >>> very interesting and thank you.

rodi >>> Better late then not at all! Lol I haven't driven the CR-V because I didn't go because of the input I received here so decided not to go. I'm going to drive a Toy on Thursday thou, so I will have to travel to the city that day. I will see if we can do some horse trading and try to come up with a deal then.

Thanks

One unsung hero to that gets easily overlooked is the Mazda CX 3 and CX5 AWD.

Thank again for you replies. I'm planning on getting a New 2021 Toyota RAV4 LE SUV AWD or the Hybrid in this model.

Looks like a 2.4 L 4 Cylinder. Between the the hybrid or regular RAV4 there is only 600$ more for the Hybrid.

So Hybrid or regular RAV4 would you choice?

Hybrid all the way...its powertrain gets much better reviews...also the design means it will be more reliable than the new CVTs.

I drove a 2016 CRV from 2016 to 2019 and put about 76000 miles on it. No problems at all, great mileage and reliability. I traded up to a Highlander for the size due to many cross country trips. I would buy one again in a minute if I quit traveling so much. I also liked the CV transmission that some people say is a detriment. It isn't constantly shifting while in cruise control mode.

Good Luck Street!!

VW

...........also the design means it will be more reliable than the new CVTs.

..... I also liked the CV transmission that some people say is a detriment. ...
It is worth noting that the CVT in a hybrid is a very different design than in a non hybrid. Hybrid CVTs use a very clever variation on a differential where one side of the diff is connected to the engine and the other side is connected to an electric motor. By varying the speed of the electric motor, one can get an infinite set of gear ratios, all while all the gears are in constant mesh. A non hybrid CVT uses a metal belt between two pulleys that change diameter resulting in a more complex and less reliable transmission.

One unsung hero to that gets easily overlooked is the Mazda CX 3 and CX5 AWD.

Agree. Excellent reviews on the CX-5 AWD. Looking at this and the Rav4 for a buy in the upcoming months.

When we test-drove used 2017-2018 CR-Vs and Rav4s for DS, the CR-V road noise was very noticeable. I think it is a generic problem with Hondas. We have an old Odyssey that we love, but it is noisy.
Some of that is the low-end tires.

I have a 2017 CRV and love it. 52,000 miles on it, no big issues. I did have a dead battery once, and a second battery replacement during a routine maintenance trip. But otherwise it has worked great. Maybe I’m not as demanding as some of the other posters because I’m coming from American brand cars so I’m used to rattles and repairs. But it is quiet for me, and very comfortable and roomy. I would buy another one.

The only thing I don’t like is the radio/audio controls. You have a volume knob but not a tuner knob. It’s touch screen, which is more dangerous when you want to change the station.

What engine does it have? When Honda came out with the 1.5 liter turbo direct injection (2015 I think), the engine oil in this engine had serious fuel dilution issues. Honda refused to address it. My son has a 2017 CRV and the oil stinks of raw gasoline and the volume as read on the dipstick indicates it's overfilled due to this. Oil analysis done by Blackstone Labs indicated about 6% fuel dilution. Not sure if Honda ever fixed this issue. Car is great except for this. Note that this engine was one of the two offered for this model year. The other one is a non-turbo of bigger displacement (and less power) and does not have this problem.

Last edited:
Street,
My 2018 Civic had the turbo 1.5L engine.
I didn't observe the oil dilution problem, but it is concerning for long term reliability of the engine.

It was the nicest looking/running/driving Honda I've owned, and I've had a few.
I really liked it. Traded it in for my truck.

I did observe that it took a very long time to get heat from the heating system on this car, and I read that was a characteristic of this engine. Get the heated seats if you buy the CRV with this engine.

Take care, JP
In 2018 Honda updated the engine software in the 1.5 turbo to delay heater output to help the engine warm up quicker as their attempt to fix the fuel dilution issue.

In 2018 Honda updated the engine software in the 1.5 turbo to delay heater output to help the engine warm up quicker as their attempt to fix the fuel dilution issue.
What? No free piece of cardboard to cover the radiator? :LOL:

What engine does it have? When Honda came out with the 1.5 liter turbo direct injection (2015 I think), the engine oil in this engine had serious fuel dilution issues. Honda refused to address it. My son has a 2017 CRV and the oil stinks of raw gasoline and the volume as read on the dipstick indicates it's overfilled due to this. Oil analysis done by Blackstone Labs indicated about 6% fuel dilution. Not sure if Honda ever fixed this issue. Car is great except for this. Note that this engine was one of the two offered for this model year. The other one is a non-turbo of bigger displacement (and less power) and does not have this problem.

The problem is that these engines run relatively cool, and the piston rings often don't get properly seated when new. Add a turbo, and the compressed air pushes the gas/air mixture past the ring where some oil gets gas mixed in. The oil level rises and they call it "making oil."

I think that Honda was playing hardball in 2015 as they didn't want to open a can of worms with 100,000's of engines. I would assume that the problem has long ago been addressed as that engine's in so many Hondas on the road. (My daughter absolutely loves her new Accord Hybrid.)

2021 CR-V has hybrid also. Anyone know of issues with them or own one. I beleive the way it looks they still use the 1.5L. I can't see where they have any issues with the hybrid batteries or motors.

We bought a new 2014 CRV as a towed vehicle for the big RV that we bought in 2015. We’ve had no complaints about it at all. We bought the ‘14 late that year because from 2015 onward they cannot be towed with 4 wheels down because of the CVT. That said, our last experience with Honda was not a good one. I bought a 2017 Ridgeline new, and had a lot of trouble with it...just past the factory warranty. We had bought the extended warranty, so it cost nothing in $$$ to fix it, but one of the breakdowns happened when I had come to Arizona to drop a load off during our move. I ended up stranded for a week over the Independence Day holiday week, with my wife in CA. It continued to break down several times, mainly the exhaust system, but also the center stack console, Navi, and display. I traded it out just before the extended warranty expired. We have mainly been a Honda Family, but when we trade the CRV, it may be our last Honda for a while.

Love our '99 CR-V but wouldn't touch any newer Honda product - not even used unless back in the early 00's. Honda quality has seemingly gone down hill.

Look at the library for the Consumer Reports reliability pages on vehicles. Most Toyotas are at the top while Honda used to be at the top - not so much now. Honestly, I don't see myself ever buying "new" anything again, but that's such a personal issue. Blow That Dough is fine if it gives you pleasure. YMMV

I have an 03 CRV EX bought new in fall 02. It has 96k miles on it. Had a brake caliper go bad at 13k (dealer said this was normal wear!), another go bad around 85k. Had to replace timing chain/tensioner 2 yrs ago. Misc. sway bar links, tires and battery a few times. Gas line had a leak 1.5 yrs ago. Other than these items, pretty much problem free for almost 20 yr old car. We kept this as a second car as we got a new Forester 2019. The dealer was almost begging for us to sell it, offered us $500 for it, then $2k, then "how much do you want for it". I figured we'd keep it for our kid to use instead.

I bought a 2018 CRV EX-L about 6 months ago and absolutely love it. I have driven Jeep Grand Cherokees for the previous 20 years. I test drove almost all the midsize and crossover SUV’s before this purchase.

The comfort, safety features, style, engine power, and interior features of the CRV won me over. I still get excited every time I drive it and I have never felt that way about a car.

I have a 2013 CRV that I bought brand new. It’s ok in the snow but my husbands a 2016 Hyundai Sante Fe is heavier and better and engages from AWD into 4 wheel drive under 15 miles her hour.

I like the CRV, but it does have some flaws like any car.

Right now when we need another car in the future I am leaning towards a Suburu. But that could be a long time from now because we keep cars until they die and since we are retired we don’t drive that much. ( no more commuting- yay!).

I have a 2013 CRV. And I am dreaming of changing for something else (so reading this thread with much interest).

I bought it used from the dealer 5 years ago. No real mechanical issues - although I thankfully caught several (known but not advertised) issues before the 60,000 mile warranty expired (including the transmission surge).

Headlights are really bad on turns ... can't see where you are going. I live on a very dark street, and it feels like I'm turning in blindly into my driveway) It does not feel safe at times. Not sure if that's changed in the past few years.

I do not find the seats nearly as comfortable as the Odyssey - especially for long trip.
Excessive road noise (though the last set of tires may have made that worse)

This is my first time with a back up camera. I do love using that - especially since actually being able to see behind the car is impossible (true of many cars with smaller back windows these days)

Previously I have owned an '85 Civic, '95 Odyssey, '04 Pilot, '05 Odyssey. It's hard to imagine not having a Honda - but it may be time to shift to a Subaru or Toyota.

Mazda not Honda

My mechanic is my go to guy for such questions He was a Honda man until 18 months or so ago He practically dragged me to the Mazda dealer Fell in love with the CX 5
Bought it last June and love it A quirk I found is that Mazda trim lines have much different standard options I do not like sunroofs so left it out That left me with no ability to open rear hatch from drivers seat deal killer no but a PITA
Zoom zoom

This summer I bought a used Honda CR-V Touring (AWD, 2016, 40K miles). I had a Subaru Forester before so my standards were high when it came to performance in snowy conditions. We have had a really tough winter this year and the car has performed great!

Other things I've noticed:
-Very comfortable seats
-Plenty of room for two carseats plus a passenger in between them (my MIL fits, my larger FIL does not)
-Louder road noise at higher speeds than I would like
-Very fuel efficient (this was a big selling point for me)
-Well performing AWD
-Well functioning electronics (back-up cam, lane assist, Bluetooth)

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase!

Bonus: CR-Vs retain their value in a big way since families love them and they have made a lot of "Best of" lists. In my area in particular where the winters are snowy, CR-Vs move fast from both New and Used lots. This was important to me, too, since we'll likely sell both our cars in a few years when we move again for work.

Good luck! :)

I have a 2013 CRV that I bought brand new. It’s ok in the snow but my husbands a 2016 Hyundai Sante Fe is heavier and better and engages from AWD into 4 wheel drive under 15 miles her hour.

I like the CRV, but it does have some flaws like any car.

Right now when we need another car in the future I am leaning towards a Suburu. But that could be a long time from now because we keep cars until they die and since we are retired we don’t drive that much. ( no more commuting- yay!).

I just sold my Subaru Forester that I bought new in 2011. I absolutely loved that car. It started to have a lot of mechanical issues around the 8-year mark, though, so keep that in mind if you're a own-til-the-wheels-fall-off kind of person. In the future I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Subaru, but I'd likely sell it NLT the 6- or 7-year mark.

Also, congrats on the end of your commuting! :)

Well, I haven't blown any dough yet. I will wait to see if there is any cash incentives/rebates starting for March. All the brands will have new programs starting in March or they won't have any incentives.
Really like the RAV4 and drove the Encore & Trailblazer not impressed. MPG is an important component when buying and they both have it but don't meet much beyond MPG.

Well, I haven't blown any dough yet. I will wait to see if there is any cash incentives/rebates starting for March. All the brands will have new programs starting in March or they won't have any incentives.
Really like the RAV4 and drove the Encore & Trailblazer not impressed. MPG is an important component when buying and they both have it but don't meet much beyond MPG.

We have had a 2021 Toyota Venza Hybrid AWD for 2 months--after trading in a 3 year old Camry Hybrid. The Camry never saw a shop in 69K miles.

The Venza's essentially the same vehicle underneath as the RAV 4 but with a far more stylish exterior. We're getting 39.5 mpg average, and it's a fabulous vehicle.

We paid just under $33K for the base model not including sales taxes. And it's a much higher quality vehicle than the Camry--a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom