hose bib leaks only when hose is attached

When we got our new fridge, I wanted to remove the divider in the freezer basket. Thank you YouTube" I would have never seen the tabs on both side you have to lift up to remove the basket!

I just went through the hose bib vacuum breaker fiasco in my new home (never lived in a home new enough for the plumbing code to require them until now). House was built in 2012. Leaking at the plastic cap on top of the valve. What I discovered is the vacuum breaker repair kits are valve manufacturer specific. Not knowing this originally I purchased the kit that looked identical and it did not fit! Everything was slightly smaller than the ones in the valves I have. Looked the same size, though. You must go by the valve manufacturer name and model number. Hopefully this information is on your hose bib/valve.

My outdoor faucet started to leak not via the bib.
While I was checking online, I came across someone saying it was guaranteed forever.

So I phoned the manufacturer, and they sent me out 2 new free ceramic valve things that go deep into the pipe to shut off the water.

I know if my Bib starts to leak, phoning the manufacturer will be one thing I'll in case it's a lifetime guarantee.

Lots of the hose bibs (sillcock) in the box stores are crap - they are not serviceable. I need to get a new Nibco to replace one of the garbage ones, but I don't know the correct length.

What's the usual for going thru frame w/ brick facade? I can measure the distance it extends in the basement but not the "through" distance.

My outdoor faucet started to leak not via the bib.
While I was checking online, I came across someone saying it was guaranteed forever.

So I phoned the manufacturer, and they sent me out 2 new free ceramic valve things that go deep into the pipe to shut off the water.

I know if my Bib starts to leak, phoning the manufacturer will be one thing I'll in case it's a lifetime guarantee.

Yup. All of our builder grade delta faucets are lifetime warranty items. Maybe doesn’t apply if you are not original owner but I don’t think they check. It was awfully difficult to identify our unit in their online pictorial parts selection so I called and they said send a pic. The “cartridge” I needed was ~$50 at the big box store.

Lots of the hose bibs (sillcock) in the box stores are crap - they are not serviceable. I need to get a new Nibco to replace one of the garbage ones, but I don't know the correct length.

What's the usual for going thru frame w/ brick facade? I can measure the distance it extends in the basement but not the "through" distance.

If you are replacing the entire shut off unit, simply because the Bib is leaking, that seems to be overkill to me.

Replacing the entire outside tap assembly is always tough to know the precise length.
If you have a water shutoff for that pipe, you can shut it off, remove the old one and match it perfectly.
Otherwise,
Get one a little longer than your best guess,
Then you just cut back the inside pipe to match.

On one of mine, I used the opportunity to add an inside cut off switch, so I could shut off the water from inside, so no little creeps turned on my outside tap while I was away.
It also made it really easy, to do the outside tap replacement, as once I had the shutoff on, I could turn on the house water and take my time getting the right size outside tap assembly.

Replacing the entire outside tap assembly is always tough to know the precise length.
If you have a water shutoff for that pipe, you can shut it off, remove the old one and match it perfectly.
Otherwise,
Get one a little longer than your best guess,
Then you just cut back the inside pipe to match.

On one of mine, I used the opportunity to add an inside cut off switch, so I could shut off the water from inside, so no little creeps turned on my outside tap while I was away.
It also made it really easy, to do the outside tap replacement, as once I had the shutoff on, I could turn on the house water and take my time getting the right size outside tap assembly.

When I replaced mine, I used a length of PEX and Shark-bite fittings, and put a loop in it, so the length wasn't an issue.

+1 on the shutoff.

-ERD50

Common lengths are 8" and 12", though there are others.

You can approximate the total wall thickness with some investigation. From inside working out - what is the thickness of the drywall? Usually 1/2", but you can check by removing an outlet or switch cover plate. If the typical 2 x 4 construction, then add the thickness of a 2 x 4 on edge, 3 1/2". Then the exterior sheathing thickness... used to be 1/2", though some houses have been built with 3/4", and some new houses I have seen built since 2000, have glorified waterproofed cardboard on a roll, thickness only 1/8"! Then assume about 1" nominal for the air space between brick and sheathing. Then the depth of the brick... bricks used to be pretty much one size, can check brick depth at an outside corner, or window, or door, wherever you can see the full depth of the brick. I have seen some new houses that use a longer, taller, and much shallower(!) brick, cheaper and quicker to lay. And easier to crack, buckle and cause problems over the years, but almost NO home buyers would ever notice ("Oh, it's SO purdy!").

Last edited:
I was having some leaking somewhere around the hose bib when the hose was attached and the water turned on while the hose sprayer nozzle was in the off position. I thought maybe I would have to replace the hose bib. But first I replaced the deteriorated/shredded white teflon tape around the hose bib threads and reattached the hose. No more leaks! Sometimes it is the simple things.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom