• Greatest country on earth.

Votes: 32 42.1%
  • Pretty d@mn great.

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • It's okay.

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • It would be better if there were even more TVs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shut up and give me that flag. I need to blow my nose.

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
I'd always heard people who might not get into the US would take up residence in Canada. Either as Canadian citizens, or just by sneaking over, they found it easier to get into the US than they would have otherwise. A stepping stone. This may well have changed by now.

No, they are still sneaking across the border, generally as part of a Smuggling Ring.

No where near the numbers coming across from the South.

The US is building a big wall to run the length of the Canadian Border, I have sent my name in to the guy in Colorado who is spearheading it, I have offered 30 hours a week of free labour.

Calgary_Girl said:
I don't think you can judge your own country until you've actually lived outside of it for a bit. I lived in the U.S. for a couple of years and it may me appreciate Canada even more (no offense).

I agree with you. I'm an immigrant to the US, who came here when I was 10. Not bragging, but I grew up in 3 different countries in 3 different continents and have vacationed in about 35 countries. The more I travel, the more I appreciate the US. Saying that I appreciate the US doesn't mean that I think that we are better than other countries in every way. This country has given me so much and I'm incredibly grateful for the chance that I've been given here; opportunities that I'm certain would not be available to me elsewhere. I'm proud to call myself an American.

Call me an optimist, but I've seen positive things about every single country that I've been to. I don't like to see America bashing, but I also don't like to see bashing of France, Canada etc. Stereotyping 300 million people is just as wrong as stereotyping 55 million or 32 million people! We have more in common with each other than we realize.

WanderALot said:
I agree with you. I'm an immigrant to the US, who came here when I was 10. Not bragging, but I grew up in 3 different countries in 3 different continents and have vacationed in about 35 countries. The more I travel, the more I appreciate the US. Saying that I appreciate the US doesn't mean that I think that we are better than other countries in every way. This country has given me so much and I'm incredibly grateful for the chance that I've been given here; opportunities that I'm certain would not be available to me elsewhere. I'm proud to call myself an American.

Call me an optimist, but I've seen positive things about every single country that I've been to. I don't like to see America bashing, but I also don't like to see bashing of France, Canada etc. Stereotyping 300 million people is just as wrong as stereotyping 55 million or 32 million people! We have more in common with each other than we realize.

Hear, hear!

If everybody in the world read your post, I think we'd get sudden world peace.... only someone would have to kill all the lawyers.....

Of couse I recall reading somewhere that we share about 99% of our DNA with chimpanzees so maybe it is the differences that count ;)

We seem to have a difficult time discussing the goods and bads of the US rationally and unemotionally and those on either end of the spectrum seem to be the most vocal. In grad school I met a fair number that absolutely believed that ALL of the problems of the world are caused by the US. On the other hand there are those that seem to believe that the purpose of the US is to show the rest of the world the right way to live and that therefore we can do no wrong.

MB

mb said:
We seem to have a difficult time discussing the goods and bads of the US rationally and unemotionally and those on either end of the spectrum seem to be the most vocal. In grad school I met a fair number that absolutely believed that ALL of the problems of the world are caused by the US. On the other hand there are those that seem to believe that the purpose of the US is to show the rest of the world the right way to live and that therefore we can do no wrong.

And the truth lies :eek: somewhere inbetween.... ::)

mb said:
In grad school I met a fair number that absolutely believed that ALL of the problems of the world are caused by the US.

Then they grow up, get married, have kids (not necessarily in that order any more), move to the suburbs, and realize that the ole U. S. of A. ain't too bad a place after all.

Cool Dood said:
Hear, hear!

If everybody in the world read your post, I think we'd get sudden world peace.... only someone would have to kill all the lawyers.....

Didn't Henry the 8th have something to say about that?

I for one, have my problems with my country's recent actions and behavior on the world stage, as well as the prevailing attitudes on important domestic policies. But I believe in sticking around and trying to make things better, I think there is much good in America that makes that effort worth it.

Plus, as much as I love Canada in summer, those winters just ain't gonna work for me long term.

Back
Top Bottom