How Long does TSA Precheck Approval Take?

Actually you have to pay ahead.
Yes, you pay ahead for Global Entry.
You pay at the appointment for TSA pre-check. Known traveler number is issued 8-10 business days later.
As to the relative difference between the two. Right now it just depends on the airport where you land. In Seattle, TSA pre-check gets you to a kiosk just like the GE holders. Bundle that with a mobile app from CBP, "Mobile Passport" and you don't need to complete a CBP form on the plane.

Rita

In a way I hope this is incorrect, because I just turned 60 and would have gone through the (expensive) name change procedure for naught! Not to mention the TSA pre-check procedure for us both. :(:blush:

I noticed that once I turned 60 we started to have TSA pre check printed on our boarding passes on most flights so we did not need to pay. I have heard from others that once they turned 60 this happened to them too. I guess they figure old people won't be terrorists:))

I noticed that once I turned 60 we started to have TSA pre check printed on our boarding passes on most flights so we did not need to pay. I have heard from others that once they turned 60 this happened to them too. I guess they figure old people won't be terrorists:))

That's what I hear - seniors usually get TSA precheck, but I didn't know 60 was the magic number.

I noticed that once I turned 60 we started to have TSA pre check printed on our boarding passes on most flights so we did not need to pay. I have heard from others that once they turned 60 this happened to them too.

Ah, that explains it.

Before DW and I got Global Access, often she would get TSA precheck and I wouldn't. She'd zip though and I wait in the long line - and she'd have to wait for me.

We decided to get our Nexus cards. Same benefits as global entry, but it is only $50 for five years instead of $100.

I believe it took a few weeks, but we were in no rush. Could be that Canada didn't agree with the background check and fingerprints that we had on file for our explosives manufacturing permit.

NEXUS is great. All the benefits of GE at half the price. Plus expedited entry at Canadian airports. The only hassle was getting the iris scans, but we were able to do that without even an appointment when passing through the Halifax airport a couple of years ago.

I walked through the terminal and found the office, and there was a sign on the door "No Admittance. Call xxx-xxx-xxxx for an appointment."
So I pulled out my cell phone and called. Told the guy I needed an iris scan for NEXUS and he said "Where are you calling from?"
"Right outside your door."
"Well, we're not busy right now, come on in."

That explains why I now get pre-check on all my flights. I thought it was the metal stuff that required me to go through the scanner anyway so the TSA can be sure I am not a threat.

I was bent on NOT bothering with a Global Entry card because I'm trying to minimize international travel, but you guys are making me reconsider...... it IS very tough to stand in a 300 person line after a tiring transatlantic flight. No doubt about that. :mad:

Especially if you have another flight to catch... I think I'll probably get Global Entry.

Too bad I didn't know about it when I did TSA Precheck last year. Mine took about 2 weeks to get my number by email, another 2-3 weeks to get my official letter.

The GE website says that convictions "may" disqualify you, not that it's a sure thing, so it might be worthwhile giving it a try.

A quote from an LA Times article from last year that talked about people appealing GE denials and getting in the program:

Global Entry program turns this traveler down, then reconsiders--and here's why

I had a minor in possession on my record from 35 years ago (at the time I applied 5 years ago). I was approved with minimal additional questioning.

I wanted to post an update on the Mobile CBP app. I just got back from a trip to Europe. On landing complete the new trip section of the app and keep the app active when you go through Customs.

Skip Global Entry kiosks totally with this app. Cool your heels waiting for luggage off the airline (gives you time to complete the new trip screen).

At Customs talk to the officer, then hold your phone with the bar code down on the reader. Scan it. Done. At least in Seattle, anyway.

- Rita

That's what I hear - seniors usually get TSA precheck, but I didn't know 60 was the magic number.

My DW and I have been getting it for free as well for almost all of our flights (maybe all - can't recall) the past 2 years and we are 54/55 now. Don't think 60 is a magic number.

My DW and I have been getting it for free as well for almost all of our flights (maybe all - can't recall) the past 2 years and we are 54/55 now. Don't think 60 is a magic number.

This is a practice TSA is shutting down except for the elderly unless someone has been through the process to get a known traveler number. Don't be surprised if it goes away for you.

Just learning about these programs..

Seems like NEXUS is better than GOES is better than TSA Precheck...

but.. I don't see any nexus app center in the tri state area (PA, NJ, MD)

GOES has a couple in my state..

Yes, NEXUS gets you exactly the same benefit as Global Entry, but at half the price. It also gives you a big advantage flying into Canada from overseas, and a terrific advantage crossing the border in a car.

A couple of years ago we were crossing the Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) from Canada to the US at a busy time, and the line was mind-boggling. I was calculating that it would easily take us an hour to get through the crossing, when I suddenly noticed an empty "NEXUS Only" line. Luckily, I was able to maneuver over to it, we showed our NEXUS cards and were waved right through. Saving over an hour of stop&go in the hot sun was priceless.

It was well worth the effort to drive up to one of the NEXUS stations (we used Detroit) to get the cards.

NEXUS centers are all on the Canadian border (if not in Canada). If you can manage that, then it's great.

The GE website says that convictions "may" disqualify you, not that it's a sure thing, so it might be worthwhile giving it a try.

A quote from an LA Times article from last year that talked about people appealing GE denials and getting in the program:

Global Entry program turns this traveler down, then reconsiders--and here's why

DUI may not disqualify OP from GE but I've heard of cases where countries such as Canada are refusing entry to US citizens with DUI convictions unless they can provide a certificate of rehabilitation.

Entering Canada with a DUI - Canada DUI Entry 2017

Can You Go to Canada with a DUI?

Unfortunately, getting into Canada with a DUI is not as simple as showing up at the border with a valid United States passport. If you have ever been arrested or convicted for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, regardless of whether it was a misdemeanor or felony offense, you may be criminally inadmissible to Canada and denied entry. Regardless of whether or not you have any intention to drive while in the country, a DUI (including civil infractions and "Actual Physical Control DUI" violations) can cause you to get turned away at the border and can impede your eligibility across all Canadian immigration programs.​

We always have the TSA precheck on our boarding passes - maybe because we are 60? It's a little faster, but mostly depends upon whether there is a big line or not. With a big line, it goes fast since you essentially go through a separate line (front of the line by another name.) YMMV

There are now 1 million fliers enrolled in the KTN (known traveler number) program, so TSA is significantly reducing access to non-enrolled fliers. I expect they will continue providing pre-check for the elderly.

This TSA travel perk may be ending for some
Your days of unexpectedly finding a "TSA PreCheck" mark on your boarding pass — without actually being a paid member of the program — are numbered.

"Starting early February 2017, TSA will significantly reduce access to [TSA PreCheck] expedited screening for non-enrolled travelers," Transportation Security Administration spokesman Mike England told CNBC in an emailed statement.

Last edited:
We got automatic pre-check on JetBlue, but not on Southwest. However, there was some kind of scare at Phoenix airport, so they canceled pre-check and *everybody* had to go through regular security including the big scanning machine. Ancients included.

We always have the TSA precheck on our boarding passes - maybe because we are 60? It's a little faster, but mostly depends upon whether there is a big line or not. With a big line, it goes fast since you essentially go through a separate line (front of the line by another name.) YMMV

I wanted to post an update on the Mobile CBP app. I just got back from a trip to Europe. On landing complete the new trip section of the app and keep the app active when you go through Customs.

Skip Global Entry kiosks totally with this app. Cool your heels waiting for luggage off the airline (gives you time to complete the new trip screen).

At Customs talk to the officer, then hold your phone with the bar code down on the reader. Scan it. Done. At least in Seattle, anyway.

- Rita

I looked the app up and am very impressed. Is it additional to Global Entry or stand-alone? We aren't known travelers but take at least two international trips a year so I am curious about it.

Stand alone. We just used Mobile Passport at Port Everglades. It was as Gotadimple described, except we still needed to hand the passports to the bored official. The only words he said were "next" and "go". The lines were separate from Global Entry. This is easier, because you don't need to fill out the custom's form.

Stand alone. We just used Mobile Passport at Port Everglades. It was as Gotadimple described, except we still needed to hand the passports to the bored official. The only words he said were "next" and "go". The lines were separate from Global Entry. This is easier, because you don't need to fill out the custom's form.

Nice! We will give it a try next month.

This is a practice TSA is shutting down except for the elderly unless someone has been through the process to get a known traveler number. Don't be surprised if it goes away for you.

Last week, DW (56) and I (61) flew Southwest from Salt Lake city to Burbank. DW get Pre-check. I did not. So, not sure what the algorithm is. There were no one on either of our lines. We went thru right away. The only difference is that I had to remove my shoes but her line did not.

Yes, I'm reviving a zombie thread....I'm curious how many of you 60 and older have recently seen or not seen TSA PRE on your boarding pass withOUT having enrolled in a program?

I've just recently applied for GOES, got conditionally approved, and now I'm trying to find an appointment within driving distance. Looks like I just missed the "first Monday of every month" new appointments, but I'm not in a hurry, I'll make sure to check early on July 3rd. (Or maybe even stay up until midnight on July 2nd....)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom