• 9-10

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • 11-12

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • over 12

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have 4 credit/debit cards in my wallet. All paid in full at month end by my secretary, aka DW. Five (5) cards if the HSA card is counted.

My wife surely has more, as she carries some store cards for freebies, while I keep denying these cards (her purse is bigger than my wallet). Some are worthwhile, though we are not shoppers. For example, we just got a Home Depot card recently, and with the kitchen remodel we have saved a few bucks from the 5% discount with miscellaneous purchases, although the bulk of the expenses was with an independent contractor, not Home Depot.

I own 5, but carry 2 CCs and one debit card. For me, that's plenty to get the job done.

We have Hilton and Marriott Visas, Chase Sapphire (redeemable for multiple travel options) and a USAirways MasterCard. I used to travel enough on business that the additional points from the credit cards helped us get decent reward travel. Now that I'm retired and the airlines are more interested in selling points/miles to banks than actually redeeming them at reasonable rates, their worth has dwindled. As they come up for renewal, I may drop the Hilton, USAirways and Marriott and go with the Fidelity 2% cashback. That would also save us a chunk of annual fees.

BTW - my dad needed a new credit card when his old one was changed to a master card, which he did not like. He only banks with a small bank and had trouble getting a new card from anyone else. BIL finally thought of the Amazon card, and since dad is a long time Amazon customer, he had no problem. He was so excited about his cash rewards points at first that he insisted on paying for gas, restaurants, etc. LOL!

Amazon is the only company he orders from online, and I'm glad they make retrieving the points so easy - perfect for him.

BTW - my dad needed a new credit card when his old one was changed to a master card, which he did not like. He only banks with a small bank and had trouble getting a new card from anyone else. BIL finally thought of the Amazon card, and since dad is a long time Amazon customer, he had no problem. He was so excited about his cash rewards points at first that he insisted on paying for gas, restaurants, etc. LOL!

Amazon is the only company he orders from online, and I'm glad they make retrieving the points so easy - perfect for him.

Oh good! It sounds like the Amazon card will be just right for me, for some of the same reasons that it is perfect for your father. :) I haven't tried to get another card for many years.

We have Hilton and Marriott Visas, Chase Sapphire (redeemable for multiple travel options) and a USAirways MasterCard. I used to travel enough on business that the additional points from the credit cards helped us get decent reward travel. Now that I'm retired and the airlines are more interested in selling points/miles to banks than actually redeeming them at reasonable rates, their worth has dwindled. As they come up for renewal, I may drop the Hilton, USAirways and Marriott and go with the Fidelity 2% cashback. That would also save us a chunk of annual fees.

I feel the same way about my Mileage Plus Visa. I originally had the Chase card linked with United when purchases at Safeway gave you United miles. I live in the SF bay area, and United is a dominant carrier.

But now that I'm travelling less, and using your miles for a free seat requires spending 50,000 miles, I've started using my BofA Visa for purchases to get the 1% cash back instead of trying to get miles.

I also have a Costco Amex, a debit card, and I'll never give up my Nordstrom's card. :D

Costco AMEX - main card because of cash back

BofA Travel Visa - used when traveling since it is a chip & sign card with no currency charges. I also use it when the AMEX is refused (cheap retailers! good for them).

Was actually going to get the Amazon card, but didn't get around to it last time I turned off my credit freeze, but will probably add it next time I do that.

A hundred? I really don't know. Last time I checked my credit report, we had 41. But I think they under counted because some cards don't report to the CRA's if there isn't any activity on the account.

I'm addicted to travel hacking, and sign up bonuses for new accounts are nice. :)

One MC, which started out as a Sears card when I worked there in 1971-1972. I opened that just to establish a credit rating.

Credit union Visa, opened that ~1980 or so.

Local bank Visa, one for me and one for DW when we moved to WV. Doesn't cost anything.

We kind of rotate them around in use just to let the issuer know we haven't died yet and pay them off in full.

Two visa cards, one Costco Amex, two credit union ATM/debit cards (one main account and one low-balance used for overseas withdrawals), one local foreign bank visa, and one local foreign bank ATM/debit. The local ATM card was just suspended last week when a couple hundred ATM cards from this bank were hacked and the accounts pilfered. They say that the cards were hacked from the area right around my office building. BTW, I'm going on vacation to Vietnam next week. ;)

Two Visa (DH carries one as his primary card and I carry the other, although we both have cards for both accounts). AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (which I heard about on this forum - love the 6% cash back on groceries). One ATM/Debit card (like Alan, used only for ATM except at Spec's - you'd have to live in Texas to understand)

Back
Top Bottom